Re: Deer meat

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:31 pm
flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:29 pm
Boo wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:35 pm

Looking at liver makes me want to barf as well! It looks like something out of the movie Alien! :wtf: I swear it's going to jump off the counter and attach itself to my face! :wtf: include tripe in that same category :shock:
Chicken liver with onions and baconROCK!
Nope!!! Not even with BACON!! :lol: :lol:
What slays me is that a liver and the kidneys are major toxin and waste filters of your blood. My wife once cooked some kidneys and I swear it smelled like someone diddled in the fire. What a stink! That was the first and the last time those things entered my house! Once my wife's family cooked a calf's brain. OMG! I knew they Germans from Transylvania but didn't think much of it until then! :wtf:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:05 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:31 pm
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:29 pm

Chicken liver with onions and baconROCK!
Nope!!! Not even with BACON!! :lol: :lol:
What slays me is that a liver and the kidneys are major toxin and waste filters of your blood. My wife once cooked some kidneys and I swear it smelled like someone diddled in the fire. What a stink! That was the first and the last time those things entered my house! Once my wife's family cooked a calf's brain. OMG! I knew they Germans from Transylvania but didn't think much of it until then! :wtf:

I look at it this way... A LOT of folks evidently didn't pay attention in Biology class. I ain't eating anything something's been thinking with, filtering with, chewing with or passing "stuff" thru!! NOPE!
Ain't going to do it! Can't make me do it! And can't make like it either!! :eusa-naughty: :eusa-snooty: :eusa-hand: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :wink:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Reminds me of my farm childhood days. If it was raised , you ate it. Being of German descent, nothing was wasted.
My grandma had a recipe for everything. Nothing went to waste. Even the blood was normally collected at every slaughtering. Always a bucket ready .

A treat was something that was hunted, as it wasn't an everyday item.

Everyone's preferences and tastes are different. A lot of it can be ( dont take offense anyone) mental. They get the idea it will taste funny or bad. 90 % of the time they won't eat it.. but when they have no idea what it is, and it smells delicious, they love it!

My father was a city boy so grandma loved tricking him, by not letting him know what he was eating.
I remember, duck blood soup! He enjoying it , till he spooned up the head.

Enjoy whatever you like 👍!

As for wild game ,the care thats taken in the field and how its processed,it does really make a big difference in how it tastes.
Normous

Post by Normous »

AJ01 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:48 am
Normous wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:11 pm
I like calves liver :thumbup:
Norman....shame on you!! :wtf: :lol:

No heart, no brains, no tongue, no liver, no internal organs!! Thats's just "Bad Ju-Ju" to this old Redneck!! :eusa-naughty:

I'm with you Boo!! NASTY!!! :thumbup:
Hmmmmm, if I could have ONE food wish come true I would ask to eat my mothers breaded calf brain dinner again. I think the last time I ate is was when I was 16...since that age I have always put breaded calf brain on the top of my list as MY food favorite wish....it was just to die for YUMMMMY!!

I remember eating breaded brain from age 7 and up many times a year . After the age of 16 my mother said the new butcher didn't carry brain any more...such a shame.

Beef tongue...always a delicacy growing up, the thin sliced left overs made it to my High School sandwiches that Mom made...delicious too.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Thank You Norman,
I think I'll go be ill somewhere now!! :sick: :lol:

I know a lot of my NOT eating this or that comes from my childhood where I HAD to eat this or that or do without!! :wtf:

Did someone say something about "mental"?? :eusa-doh: :crazy: :think: :lol:

"The Boss" says I'm just too picky!! :eusa-snooty:

I resemble that remark!! :eusa-popcorn:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I am not afraid to try new things, however the worst thing i have ever ate (so far) has to be chicken feet. It was one of those times that you are at a restaurant and you see it on the menu and think to yourself "cant be as bad as it sounds, who would eat that?" It is exactly as it sounds. tasted like crap! there is nothing there but bones and scales. I dont think they even gave us dipping sauce!

back to venison: I find that while processing a deer the meat has a distinct smell as most meat does, its not unpleasant but not appealing either. Venison back straps, tenderloins ground meat and peperettes are excellent, as for steak i would rather eat a cow.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:24 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Normous wrote:

No heart, no brains, no tongue, no liver, no internal organs!! Thats's just "Bad Ju-Ju" to this old Redneck!! :eusa-naughty:

Hmmmmm, if I could have ONE food wish come true I would ask to eat my mothers breaded calf brain dinner again. I think the last time I ate is was when I was 16...since that age I have always put breaded calf brain on the top of my list as MY food favorite wish....it was just to die for YUMMMMY!!

I remember eating breaded brain from age 7 and up many times a year . After the age of 16 my mother said the new butcher didn't carry brain any more...such a shame.

Beef tongue...always a delicacy growing up, the thin sliced left overs made it to my High School sandwiches that Mom made...delicious too.

I like Beef tongue. We always used to get the tongue in the half we always would order.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Normous wrote:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Y'all come to Ft. Worth and we will go have calf fries! Yummy! Breaded, fried, served with gravy. They really are good. If you like chicken fried steak, you will love 'em. :D
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Normous wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:24 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Normous wrote:

Norm, my mom grew up in Ft.Worth(city). Got her degree and went to a tiny rural school district in the panhandle to teach. She lived at a boarding house that served all their meals. One day at lunch, mom thought the sandwich was really good, so when she got back to the boarding house she told the owner, " That was the best sanwich I have ever had. What was it?" Owner looked at her funny and said," Why honey, it was just head cheese." Mom didnt care as much for the sandwiches any more. Also one evening, they had roast for supper. Mom complemented her on the roast being so good. Again the owner looked at her funny and said,"Why, honey, thats not roast, thats tongue". Welcome to the country city girl. :lol: :lol: :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:59 am
Y'all come to Ft. Worth and we will go have calf fries! Yummy! Breaded, fried, served with gravy. They really are good. If you like chicken fried steak, you will love 'em. :D
Ha! I'm from Texas! I ain't falling for that one!!! :lol: :eusa-naughty: :wink:

My best friend always said the best calf fries in Texas came from Heitmiller's Steakhouse down in Elm Mott. :lol: :lol:
They do have good steaks!! :thumbup:
N5JIF

Post by N5JIF »

Hunting in soybean country rather than sage country has helped my deer flavor tremendously. Also wet aging is a big help. I dress and butcher my own so I get it clean and cool quick. All of it helps and i'm still learning.
The grinder is my favorite new addition. I don't fight the silver skin now, I just run it through the grinder and clean the cutter a little more often. Much more efficient.
The recommendation of bacon in the burger grind sounds fun so i'm trying that this year!
Axiom with Leupold pig plex, enjoying both vixenmaster and Boo custom strings
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:59 am
I will join you anytime for calf fries, and hog fries,
i was raised on a little farm in Illinois and ate them
many times :thumbup:

Dave :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I had to look up calf fries. I'd never heard of em.
We should open a restaurant specializing in the various "fries". I already chose a song for our TV commercial.
https://youtu.be/xPlqLHcphyw :thumbup:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hatchet wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:49 am
I had to look up calf fries. I'd never heard of em.
We should open a restaurant specializing in the various "fries". I already chose a song for our TV commercial.
https://youtu.be/xPlqLHcphyw :thumbup:
AC/DC...I should have known!! :lol: :lol: