Hunting Blunders. Asking for a friend.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Re: Hunting Blunders. Asking for a friend.

Post by DuckHunt »

When launching a boat, especially solo, we use a fairly slick setup. We tie a rope to the back of the trailer and run it under the boat to a clip that mounts to the front of the trailer. When we're ready to launch, take the front clip off of the trailer and clip it to the front of the boat. Back the boat off in the river until it exists the trailer, then slowly pull forward and the attached rope pulls your boat in to the bank.

When done quickly, it looks impressive. People on the bank are like, "Hey dude, your boat is...Ohhhhh, nice." But its a lot funnier for bystanders if you forget to hook the rope to the front of the boat and just send the boat it on its way.

I got the phone call in the wee hours of the morning a few years ago as I was preparing to launch that my assistance was needed to retrieve my brothers boat some 30 minutes upstream at a different launch ramp. Earlier this year, I joined the club with him. Fortunately for me there were other boats nearby so I only had to swallow my pride and ask if someone could do me a favor and bring me my boat. :lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Can't count the number of times I have forgotten to see if the plug was in the boat!! :oops: Thank God for bilge pumps and long arms!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:32 pm
Can't count the number of times I have forgotten to see if the plug was in the boat!! :oops: Thank God for bilge pumps and long arms!! :thumbup:
Yep, it isn't until the bow of the boat is up in the air that you figure that one out! Off with a T-shirt and in the hole! :think:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:08 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:32 pm
Yep, it isn't until the bow of the boat is up in the air that you figure that one out! Off with a T-shirt and in the hole! :think:
Funny story.
Mother in law had a place on Eagle Mountain Lake. She and neighbors “ split” putting in a boat ramp years ago. Neighbor had a friend with an old Century boat( mahogany). They have a wooden boat festival every year out there and the neighbors friend puts in at their ramp. They backed boat down into water, backed off trailer and took off. They made a circle and came back by, yelling” put the trailer back in, the bilge pump is broken” Guess all wooden boats leak some until they get soaked.😳 They got it back on trailer and out of water before it got too bad.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I know a guy that went out on Lake Michigan, got about a mile out and realized he forgot the plug. Had two pumps working pretty hard! :eusa-shifty:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

wheelsquad wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:41 am
On man Janesy, you are really on a roll.

My worst blunder was forgetting to buy an archery license prior to opener. Didn't realize until I was on the atv on the way to the stand opening night. 🤦‍♂️
Ya, its been a bit of a challenge this week. All self inflicted. But whatever. If you cant laugh at yourself, what are you gonna do
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

janesy wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:23 pm
Ya, its been a bit of a challenge this week. All self inflicted. But whatever. If you cant laugh at yourself, what are you gonna do
Look on the bright side , you won yourself the prize of the week....a high roller for your inflictions. :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:47 pm
janesy wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:23 pm
Look on the bright side , you won yourself the prize of the week....a high roller for your inflictions. :thumbup:
Looking forward to flinging some pointy sticks at it
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

After unloading all our gear I had to run the rental boat back to the marina. First part was straight into a 3ft chop. I forgot to change the tilt on the motor and as I got going a gust of wind stood the boat straight up and water started pouring in as I climbed the seats by the time the boat layed back down it was half full of water motor wide open and me hitting the tiller with an oar .after I made the turn I leaped to the back pulled the drain plug and the boat was drained by the time I got to the marina.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Ok, y'all can laugh.... When Colton was much younger, about 6, we went to our lease to feed and swap SD cards. If you have hunted where there are feeders and hogs, then you know that the hogs root around getting every kernel of corn. This loosens the ground so that next time it rains there is a large mud pond under the feeder. Cycle repeats over and over until the hole is so deep that you have to move the feeder a little to get it away from the "crater". When it has been there a while, and it rains, the mud pond is fairly deep, several inches. Well we got to lease to feed, had a whole pickup full of corn bags and my ladder. ( I have worked in construction for 46 years, and came up with the HD Commercial wooden step ladders. Love them. Much better than newer fiberglass or aluminum) Got to first feeder, it was wet and mud was deep! To set ladder up om dry ground, I was too far back from feeder to get corn in it, so I set front legs of ladder down in the mud hole. I know that this is sketchy but I tested it and if I just went up a couple of rungs, I could reach barrel and feed and ladder still felt fairly stable. Well, I fed 5-6 bags of corn and was ready to go..... but I thought "man, I wonder exactly how full that barrel is". I couldnt look into the barrel from where I had been standing. Ladder felt pretty stable, so I will just go up ONE more rung for a quick peek and right back down...... As soon as my weight got one rung up both front legs snapped and ladder fell into slop with me falling as well. I landed flat, face side down in the nasty, stinking mess that the hogs had been rooting around in looking for corn. When I stood up I was covered from my cap brim to the toes of my boots about 1/2" thick in goo. Only spots not covered were where my glasses were. I know I looked like Al Jolson. I got out of the muck and went through my entire repertoire of profanity( and with 46 years on a construction job it is fairly extensive) while I was shucking clothes down to my shorts. Colton and I got in the truck and went to the cabin to see if I could find some clothes to wear. The spring before, the cabin had been broken into, and they stole every pair of boots, every jacket, every pair of coveralls etc, so nobody was leaving much out there. I dug and dug and found a pair of sweat pants that a friend had left. They were short but beat my drawers. No shirt, no jacket, nothing. So Colton and I loaded up and went back into town. I didnt feel like I could exactly go in a store with my knicker length sweat pants and no shirt, so I gave Colton some money and told him what I wanted.....Colton was about 6, but he was such a little kid most would have thought he was 3-4 yrs old, so in just a second here he comes out of the store with a sales lady!!!! I'm sitting in the truck in all my splender and this lady say, "what exactly is it you need?" ......I told her " I need a $#@%%# shirt! So they go back in and Colton comes back with a shirt for me. We went back to the lease, I washed all the muck off my clothes best I could and we finished feeding and swapping SD cards. I seem funny now but was not even close when it happened. We both lived and are a touch wiser so I guess all is good. Y'all laugh all you want. 8)
Normous

Post by Normous »

Paul, :lol: :lol:
I think a video of your muck fall and fail could have won you the the Grand Prize on America's Funniest Video's.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Paul, I think this is appropriate

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ig718DkKW_Cngbv6ngd03tJrphhjLsl0/view
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:49 am
Paul, I think this is appropriate

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ig718DkKW_Cngbv6ngd03tJrphhjLsl0/view
Benny Hill...PRICELESS!!! :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Yes late season who has not forgot the boots they were drying at home .
Safety harness at home .
About 6 years ago while we were doing the controlled hunt my brother and his wife have matching gun socks . They got to their stands when it was discovered had the wrong guns . His is a 12 and her`s a 20 gauge . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Didn’t remember I had forgotten my cut skipjack catfish bait until I was in the boat about 5 miles upriver.

Went deer hunting and all went well after a little over 2 mile walk in the dark. Got up the tree in my climbing deer stand then found that my quiver and arrows were missing. Climbed down and after walking back found them near my truck. They had fallen off my crossbow. Didn’t see any deer that day either.

Hello my name is Bill Smith and I am bonehead!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35