Hunting Blunders. Asking for a friend.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hatchet

Re: Hunting Blunders. Asking for a friend.

Post by Hatchet »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:19 am
Didn’t remember I had forgotten my cut skipjack catfish bait until I was in the boat about 5 miles upriver.

Went deer hunting and all went well after a little over 2 mile walk in the dark. Got up the tree in my climbing deer stand then found that my quiver and arrows were missing. Climbed down and after walking back found them near my truck. They had fallen off my crossbow. Didn’t see any deer that day either.

Hello my name is Bill Smith and I am bonehead!!

Bill
I had just got some new skinny arrows for my compound bow. They
didnt fit the quiver very well. I decided to take the long way into a stand and it took about 2 hrs. When I got where I was going I realized I had no arrows. The arrows came off one at a time on my trek in. One by a blowdown I crawled under, one where I slid down a muddy bank, and one that was caught by a low hanging branch. By the time I found the last one I was done for the day.
Hopefully I keep the blunders to a minimum this season.
If not hopefully they are laughable so I get some value out of em.
Take care
Corey
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Always discard spent primers for your muzzloder so you won't make the mistake of using a spent primer while you are hunting. Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:46 am
Always discard spent primers for your muzzloder so you won't make the mistake of using a spent primer while you are hunting. Lol
Ouch, Patti did that one year :oops:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Normous wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:05 am
Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:46 am
Ouch, Patti did that one year :oops:
Me too!! Pulled the trigger and no boom... lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

Aaaah yes. November. Vacation. Rut Week. High on confidence... A spring in my step on the lonnnng walk to my blind. Well before daylight. I am pumped. This is going to be a great day to Hunt, filled my thoughts as I took all my outerwear, from the backpack. Layerd up, X-Bow cocked, nestled in my blind, I exhale as I see the first bit of daylight, as I reach for an Arrow from the... Quiver. Quiver?? QUIVERRRRRR?? Nooooooo! A very long walk back to the Jeep, to get my Quiver, that sits on top of the roof. Which I put there when getting the X-bow from the Case... :eh: :oops: :cry:
Last edited by jody5252 on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

AJ01 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:57 am
Rope cocker for the crossbow. Can't seem to hang on to the blasted things! I now have at least 4 of them...

A: 1 in the bow case.
B: 1 in my backpack.
C: 1 in the truck.
D: 1 in the...Oh hell... :wtf:
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Not really a blunder but more of a wrong, hasty, decision…
Many years ago we used to hunt East/Central Vermont and BIG bucks were not really that common.
Bucks only gun season and I turned my scope to 9 power to watch a deer about 50yds out…a doe.
I was kneeling in the middle of a rocky hilltop depression. I lowered my rifle and was reaching into my shirt pocket for a butt when Movement to my left made me turn that way. All I could see was a big racked buck staring at me from behind a rock. Naturally I froze while we had our eyes locked. Not figuring out what the heck I was, the big boy started walking around the rock toward me! Holy crap! As he stepped around the rock all I could see were his giant rack and muscular body. He stopped and I made a quick grab for my rifle and he swirled…I brought the rifle up and the scope was still on 9 power and all I could see was branches. A flash of brown and I fired and saw the buck mule kick as he bounded down the hill. After searching for sign of a hit, there was none.
Hindsight being 20-20 I should have fired from the hip with my Remington 742, 308 Win.
I missed the biggest buck I had ever seen and 50 years later, it’s still as vivid in my mind as that day.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
janesy

Post by janesy »

Drove up with my Son to fill the barrel the last Friday. Mom and Cubs cleaned it out a while back so I was hoping maybe they would find another source and move on

Forgot the keys to the SxS.

So tonight, I'm driving up to refill the barrel.... :wave: with the keys
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

janesy wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:58 am
Drove up with my Son to fill the barrel the last Friday. Mom and Cubs cleaned it out a while back so I was hoping maybe they would find another source and move on

Forgot the keys to the SxS.

So tonight, I'm driving up to refill the barrel.... :wave: with the keys
Don't forget the bait Chris! :eusa-think:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

And camera batteries :wave:
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

I remembered everything but 2 wood screws. So that was good, didn't really need them anyway, just a precaution.
Taken nearly a year but it's all coming back. Haha, I used to be the guy who showed up to camp with a mobile hunting station complete for multiple hunters. 😅 this past year I was lucky to show up at the right address.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

OKAY... :eusa-doh:

Today...opening morning, right? :thumbup: October 1st.
Packed my gear for the short road trip last night. :think:

Hit the road this morning way before sunrise, got to the lease, and got ready. :eusa-naughty:
Walked to the stand, climbed up and made myself comfortable in THE DARK. :eusa-whistle:
When the sun began to creep up into the sky, I diligently began to scan the forest for woodland creatures... :eusa-pray:

Finally dropping my Binos back into their case, I look down at my broadhead and suddenly realize I do NOT have a broadhead, but a PRACTICE head attached to my arrow!! :wtf: :eusa-doh:
I slowly move to pull my quiver out of my backpack, ONLY to find ALL that I have is PRACTICE HEADS!!! :oops: :? :crazy: :eusa-naughty:

Needless to say, I slithered down out of the tree licking my wounded ego. Back to the truck for that horrible ride back to the house where I could hear those immortal words... "You forgot what :lol: :lol: ?" uttered by "The Boss" who will NEVER let me live this down!! :eusa-snooty:

So YES... IT Happens!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Normous

Post by Normous »

:wave: ^^^^ Numb Skull
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:31 am
OKAY... :eusa-doh:

Today...opening morning, right? :thumbup: October 1st.
Packed my gear for the short road trip last night. :think:

Hit the road this morning way before sunrise, got to the lease, and got ready. :eusa-naughty:
Walked to the stand, climbed up and made myself comfortable in THE DARK. :eusa-whistle:
When the sun began to creep up into the sky, I diligently began to scan the forest for woodland creatures... :eusa-pray:

Finally dropping my Binos back into their case, I look down at my broadhead and suddenly realize I do NOT have a broadhead, but a PRACTICE head attached to my arrow!! :wtf: :eusa-doh:
I slowly move to pull my quiver out of my backpack, ONLY to find ALL that I have is PRACTICE HEADS!!! :oops: :? :crazy: :eusa-naughty:

Needless to say, I slithered down out of the tree licking my wounded ego. Back to the truck for that horrible ride back to the house where I could hear those immortal words... "You forgot what :lol: :lol: ?" uttered by "The Boss" who will NEVER let me live this down!! :eusa-snooty:

So YES... IT Happens!!
Bahahaha! Classic! I know a TOTA guy, maybe he can help you out :lol:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Normous wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:03 pm
:wave: ^^^^ Numb Skull
:eusa-whistle: :lol:

not only is it numb...it's evidently empty too!! :crazy:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!