New Cub. Red dot vs scope and broadhead weight?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fred T

New Cub. Red dot vs scope and broadhead weight?

Post by Fred T »

Greetings, I purchased my daughter the basic Cub bare bow and have a few questions. It didn't come with a scope, so debating going the red dot or scope route. I like the idea of the red dot for the quick sight acquisition. This should make it easier for her to get on target in the heat battle. The down side it can only be sighted in for one distance. Anyone using a red dot? Do you prefer it to a scope on an xbow? Pro's cons?

Also it appears the 18" arrows work best with 150gr broadheads. Since there seems to be a much wider selection of 100gr BH's, will these still fly good on the Diablo arrows?

Thanks
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Normous

Re: New Cub. Red dot vs scope and broadhead weight?

Post by Normous »

US made Tooth of the Arrow offers several 150 grain 4 blade heads in a compact, tough and well flying head and its the one that I use personally. I think 100 gr heads are too light on a Quill factory arrow.

I happen to use a Reflex Red dot site on each of 3 crossbows and keep my shots under 30 yards . I sight in an inch high at 20, on ant 25 and 1" low at 30.

Pro, A 1.6 oz Reflex sight compared to a full size scope offers a significant weight reduction as a plus. Shooting with both eyes open without being concerned about eye relief is welcome. Getting on target with a Reflex is faster with some practice.

A 2 moa dot perfect the way I see it.

Con, the high end excellent Reflex sights from Trijicon and Kahles are not for everyone's budget. There are less costly options available .
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Robinsons Rebel

Re: New Cub. Red dot vs scope and broadhead weight?

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I use 18" Diablos with the 100 grain x act broadheads with no problems out of my Grizzly. Killed big hogs and deer with it. I would probably use a fixed broadhead with the cub though. I never really liked a red dot myself but I wear glasses and it felt like it gave me double vision in low light conditions. I think it depends on what the shooter feels more comfortable with. If your daughter is young, I would lean toward the red dot.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"