Benefit of this forum

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Benefit of this forum

Post by grouse »

Our archery season starts this Thursday and I was up at the farm yesterday getting ready. I had not shot my crossbow since last season, so I got it out (along with a target) to practice and check the scope's zero. I noticed that the string was located right where the frame meets the limb assembly. I got my string remover out and twisted the string to bring the brace height up to the recommended 3/4". I then shot my bow few times and checked it again to be sure the gap remained within spec.

Without the wisdom of the people on this forum I would not have known what a brace height is, or how to correct one that is improper. I suspect there people out there who shoot Excals, (and don't visit this forum) who have problems that could be easily solved by the experienced contributors to this exchange. I have benefited many times and am grateful.
axiom
350 SE
onebigskittle

Re: Benefit of this forum

Post by onebigskittle »

You are in the right place for expert advice.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The best place for anything Excalibur related and then some! Now & again you even get the second, third, and forth opinion for free.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:31 pm
The best place for anything Excalibur related and then some! Now & again you even get the second, third, and forth opinion for free.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

xcaliber wrote:
But wait.....there's more.....order now and we'll throw in a Miracle Toaster free........just pay shipping! :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hatchet wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:20 am

But wait.....there's more.....order now and we'll throw in a Miracle Toaster free........just pay shipping! :lol:
Go ahead... I'm listening
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I told ya... dang kids, can't take them anywhere that they don't act up!! :eusa-doh:

Grouse...
You are exactly correct. Back when I started with a crossbow, it was a decision that I mulled over quite a bit. I talked to a bunch of archery dealers locally, but no one really had any feedback except the local Matthews Dealer.
He showed me a Mission, told me all about it and let me shoot it, and then when I pressed him on what HE would BUY if he was buying a crossbow, and said "Excalibur, the blasted things are bullet proof"!!

Needless to say, there are NO Excalibur dealers anywhere near me!! :lol: I visited this site as a "guest" and read a bunch of things about their bows.
After that, it was going to Excalibur's homepage and deciding what bow I wanted. :wink: And how many of them!! :lol:

Since that day back in 2017, I've learned a lot about crossbows, both good and bad. Meet some truly unique people. Made some friends, and probably a few enemies. :lol:
I wanna "THANK" guys like Don (Boo) and Norman (Normous) who taught me a lot about how accurate crossbows can be. Guys like Dave (Papabear1) Who showed me you're only as old as you let yourself be.
Then there is Dan, Chris, Tyler, Corey, Joe, Jeff (DH) and Jeff (The Carnivore) and the list goes on. Each a unique individual full of information!

Life is a never-ending learning experience. And I for one will take full advantage of every moment!
GOD Bless ALL of you!!

Happy Hunting!!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

One thing of note is that the information and help here is far more accurate than at Crossbow Nation. There are a few that either are terribly misinformed or guys who have never handled an Excalibur who hand out their Xspurt advice. It's not much different than Fakebook at times at CBN. :roll: Here at this forum, advice tends to be quite solid! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
artifact

Post by artifact »

I agree with all the helpful advice that's been posted on this forum. I have seen many Excalibur bows where the string is pushing hard into the REDS and deforming them because the brace height isn't set properly :eusa-naughty:, often wondered how many people got rid of them just because they didn't have the brace height set properly and ended up either having problems or not being satisfied with the bow
I have followed the advice of those one here and am now in the process of setting up a 2nd Matrix 380 that I just purchased, hope I can stop at 2! :lol:
Before I made my decision to buy an Excalibur I read the forum, the one thing that really stuck in my mind was the frequent mention of EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE, that is a huge factor if any problems do arise.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

AJ01 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:16 pm
xcaliber wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Heck, every now snd again you get a right answer!😂😂😂😂😂
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:40 am
I told ya... dang kids, can't take them anywhere that they don't act up!! :eusa-doh:

Grouse...
You are exactly correct. Back when I started with a crossbow, it was a decision that I mulled over quite a bit. I talked to a bunch of archery dealers locally, but no one really had any feedback except the local Matthews Dealer.
He showed me a Mission, told me all about it and let me shoot it, and then when I pressed him on what HE would BUY if he was buying a crossbow, and said "Excalibur, the blasted things are bullet proof"!!

Needless to say, there are NO Excalibur dealers anywhere near me!! :lol: I visited this site as a "guest" and read a bunch of things about their bows.
After that, it was going to Excalibur's homepage and deciding what bow I wanted. :wink: And how many of them!! :lol:

Since that day back in 2017, I've learned a lot about crossbows, both good and bad. Meet some truly unique people. Made some friends, and probably a few enemies. :lol:
I wanna "THANK" guys like Don (Boo) and Norman (Normous) who taught me a lot about how accurate crossbows can be. Guys like Dave (Papabear1) Who showed me you're only as old as you let yourself be.
Then there is Dan, Chris, Tyler, Corey, Joe, Jeff (DH) and Jeff (The Carnivore) and the list goes on. Each a unique individual full of information!

Life is a never-ending learning experience. And I for one will take full advantage of every moment!
GOD Bless ALL of you!!

Happy Hunting!!
AJ
Like your new avitar is that a Black tail :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

papabear1 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:27 pm

That's my best Mulie. Taken in Colorado in between Gunnison and Montrose in the Uncompahgre National Forest.
I've got another about that size, just doesn't have all the character this guy does. :thumbup:
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:43 pm
papabear1 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:27 pm

That's my best Mulie. Taken in Colorado in between Gunnison and Montrose in the Uncompahgre National Forest.
I've got another about that size, just doesn't have all the character this guy does. :thumbup:

Knew that was a mulie just had to razz ya,
it is a really nice one, trucked through that area
several times, always wanted to go on a mule deer
and elk hunt in colorado but was always too busy. :(

Dave :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I know that feeling. As a young man, I was extremely blessed, I got to hunt Colorado, Wyoming and Montana a number of times.
There was 4 of us that hunted together. I'm the only one that still hunts. 2 are no longer with us, and one can't because of medical reasons. :(

My dream was to make Africa at least once, but I never did. However, I did make Alaska twice. That country will ruin you! :lol:

I'm leaving tomorrow for a hunting trip down in deep south Texas. Nilgai Antelope are on the list. I hear they can be TOUGH to hunt with a bow. I guess I'm going to find out PDQ. :lol:

And Dave, I knew you were just "funnin' me", and I wouldn't have it any other way!!

Take care out there! And Be Safe!!

AJ