New Scope Adjustments

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

New Scope Adjustments

Post by CT.HNTR »

Last year I put the Vortex scope om my Bulldog 440. I like the 30mm tube and the illuminated reticle but was not thrilled with the main crosshairs being at 40 yards as 95% of all my shots are between 20 and 30 yards,

I lost a nice 8-point buck last year as I hit him too high in no man’s land. In the heat of the moment, I got confused looking at the smaller 20 and 30 yard pins on the scope and shot high over the lungs but under the spine.

This year I am trying something different. As 95% of my shots are between 20 and 30 yards, I decided to move the main crosshairs of the scope into this range. After some testing today I found 27 yards to be ideal. I zeroed out the main crosshairs at 27 yards and am 1.250 low at 30 yards and 1.0 high at 20 yards.

So with this new scheme I can now use the main cross hairs for 95% of my shots with no worries.

This should simplify things at crunch time. All I need to do is aim at the center of the body vertically and put it in the crease behind the leg. No worrying about which pin to use!
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Hi5

Re: New Scope Adjustments

Post by Hi5 »

That's pretty much the strategy for hunters using a red dot sight. Depending on distance to target, shade up or shade down. For Big Game, it's practical. Shoot lots so you have a feel for how much shading would be best for close up or reaching out. Even if you don't "shade", at reasonable distances, you will still be in the kill zone.

With your BD you have a flat trajectory, and you could easily afford to shoot heavier arrows for better penetration with bigger cut broadheads , and to boot be kinder to your bow.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I like it, put the crosshair on between 20 and 40 and breath on your trigger :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I shot 3 deer with my BD417 and the same Vortex as yours last year. Distances of 35, 30, and 52 yds. I liked that reticle more and more every time I held it up at a deer. I guess we all process things in the heat of the moment differently. I don't focus on the 40 yd holdover right away just cause it is in the center. It is natural and obvious for me that the top-most holdover is for 20 yd, the bottom of the cross-post is 60 yd, and then you have everything in between.

Glad you found what works better for you though. Your bow is fast enough to really do well with what you did and zero-ing a single reticle at 27 yds. Pretty foolproof for your 30 and under shots.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Just like a regular duplex. 8) 8)
janesy

Post by janesy »

CT.HNTR wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:05 pm
Last year I put the Vortex scope om my Bulldog 440. I like the 30mm tube and the illuminated reticle but was not thrilled with the main crosshairs being at 40 yards as 95% of all my shots are between 20 and 30 yards,

I lost a nice 8-point buck last year as I hit him too high in no man’s land. In the heat of the moment, I got confused looking at the smaller 20 and 30 yard pins on the scope and shot high over the lungs but under the spine.

This year I am trying something different. As 95% of my shots are between 20 and 30 yards, I decided to move the main crosshairs of the scope into this range. After some testing today I found 27 yards to be ideal. I zeroed out the main crosshairs at 27 yards and am 1.250 low at 30 yards and 1.0 high at 20 yards.

So with this new scheme I can now use the main cross hairs for 95% of my shots with no worries.

This should simplify things at crunch time. All I need to do is aim at the center of the body vertically and put it in the crease behind the leg. No worrying about which pin to use!
Yep, that's called zeroing, it's all I've ever used. I have zeroed for 29 yard, and 27 yards forever. I have a target pre- marked so I can fire a couple test shots at 15 yards in the basement before heading outside to make fi Al's adjustments which are hardly needed

I don't trust myself to have to make a decision based on yardage at 7 am. Point the cross hairs and pull the trigger.

Rifle shooters have been doing this forever even those that don't know how to reed the markings on the ammo box label.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

CT.HNTR wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:05 pm

Yep, that's called zeroing, it's all I've ever used. I have zeroed for 29 yard, and 27 yards forever. I have a target pre- marked so I can fire a couple test shots at 15 yards in the basement before heading outside to make final adjustments which are hardly needed

I don't trust myself to have to make a decision based on yardage at 7 am. Point the cross hairs and pull the trigger.

Rifle shooters have been doing this forever even those that don't know how to reed the markings on the ammo box label.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme