Blood tracking lights

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

Blood tracking lights

Post by one shot scott »

I am hoping to hear from those who use a blood tracking light on how effective they are. Also what make do you use? What kind of batteries does it take? etc.

I am red/green colorblind which doesn't affect large quantities of red on a green forest floor but certainly does on a light blood trail. I have found at times if i cant track blood i have to track in other ways.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Hi5

Re: Blood tracking lights

Post by Hi5 »

The topic of blood tracking lights was thrashed over in this site a lot in earlier threads. New members may want to join in a discussion with you, but if you don't get another response, try doing a search of older threads.

I'd be careful of reviews. I was intrigued by reviews on Cabelas site when I looked at this issue years ago. I'm sure some of the reviewers were simply impressed by the packaging and gave a glowing review and never did get around to actual blood tracking. Others gave negative reviews that i believe were equally suspect. I came away with the conclusion that SOME sincere people offered positive reports and SOME equally sincere people offered negative reports. From that I concluded that the lights actually worked, but NOT FOR EVERYONE.

I have vision defects. If I bought a blood tracking light, here's what I'd be thinking. If a blood tracking light would work, and actually aid in blood tracking, that would be wonderful for hunters. If I could get it to work for me, that would be even more wonderful. I don't think you will know till you actually test it. If you must buy one in order to test it, buy it from a source that allows returns. Then make sure you test it in time to get a refund if it doesn't work for you. Good Luck!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Thanks Hi5 for your response. Didnt know it was discussed, shoot it may have been me who asked before :lol: Its something ive wondered for years and i know the earlier ones were crap. I have since looked at some amazon reviews and the primos sounds appealing but isnt cheap and takes expensive batteries. Even non colorblind folk find it useful. Guess im gonna have to bite the bullet and do a review of my own.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I haven't used one, but the reviews are all-over the place.

I have often wondered, why not just go buy a steak and squeeze the blood out of it on the lawn before you cook it? Wait for dark and then shine the light on it.

Obviously this doesn't help you if you don't own the light. But for all the folks that do, it seems easy to test. Unless youre vegan, then I can't help you anyways.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

After this thread was started i purchased a primos bloodhunter hd from the amazonians and finally had a chance to use it this past week. these are my results

I am happy with it and it certainly helps me with the red/green issues i have. It seems to cancel out other colors that would make it difficult to find blood. I would recommend.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Because I am not colourblind I have to ask . All I see is purple and red of the blood .
What do you see if you can not see red ?
Is it just the difference of two colours ?
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The type of color blindness i have is fairly common in men. with red/green color blindness you are able to see individual colors just fine, but when they are combined its very difficult to distinguish one from the other, and only when in trace amounts. in all fairness in normal life its not even an issue but as a hunter when its very fine blood droplets on a green forest floor its very hard to find trace amounts of blood for me. I think i see the same thing as you Kevin, basically a purple forest floor but the red blood is highlighted and i think it works well for me because it blocks out the other colors on the forest floor. Without that light i think i would only make out the large drop on the stick b/c its brown, and not the small drops on the pine leaves.

https://www.covisn.com/covisn-color-blind-test/
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

one shot scott wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:17 pm
After this thread was started i purchased a primos bloodhunter hd from the amazonians and finally had a chance to use it this past week. these are my results

I am happy with it and it certainly helps me with the red/green issues i have. It seems to cancel out other colors that would make it difficult to find blood. I would recommend.
That's the result we got, it took us right to a nice doe.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

What's the range of these lights?
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I'm not sure the lumen rating on it, but she's bright. If used like a normal light i guess you could say ten yards?
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

It's one of those things that I need but hope to never use it.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

That is quite a picture. I see purple, blue, black and red. There is so much red I have to ask. Is what shows as red ONLY blood, or is there a spillover from other stuff showing as red that is actually red vegetation? In my area, in the fall, there are some plants that show as blood colored even during daylight. If your light filters out everything else that's red and only shows blood as red, that would be quite a bonus.

It appears that you had almost buckets of blood on the ground, if I'm reading the red correctly. That's great. Good shooting. However, if you get the chance and it's not too much bother, would you please take a photo of a single drop, and the smaller drop the better. Sometimes all you get is a tiny drop, and it would be really nice to be able to estimate just how much help there could be.

I'm glad you followed up on the topic! Thanks!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

one shot scott wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:17 pm
Does this mean you got yourself a bear?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I didn't pull the trigger Don. Two hunting buddies that were with me connected. After a couple of hard years where weather wouldn't cooperate i consider that a win! X2 :thumbup:

Hi5: i think all that you see as red is blood, the black is shadow, it looks like a lot since the cam is pretty close to the ground and i was in a rush to snap a pic since we just found the bear ten yards away, and those are some small cedar leaves. "red" leaves i think would show as purple? but i can try my best to get a pic at some point with just a single drop of blood

& the shot placement was a good one! :wink:
janesy

Post by janesy »

one shot scott wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:51 pm
I didn't pull the trigger Don. Two hunting buddies that were with me connected. After a couple of hard years where weather wouldn't cooperate i consider that a win! X2 :thumbup:

Hi5: i think all that you see as red is blood, the black is shadow, it looks like a lot since the cam is pretty close to the ground and i was in a rush to snap a pic since we just found the bear ten yards away, and those are some small cedar leaves. "red" leaves i think would show as purple? but i can try my best to get a pic at some point with just a single drop of blood

& the shot placement was a good one! :wink:
Did you guys try the light out on the blood after it dried Neil?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme