Doe only season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Doe only season

Post by DuckHunt »

Where I hunt in Loudoun County, Virginia they have an early doe only season to help reduce the deer population. It's slowly working. It's actually a lot harder than it sounds. It's easy to tell the sex of a nice antlered buck, but it can be hard to tell the difference between a doe and a really small spike. A velvet covered 3" spike is the worst. And any hardened bone antler above the hairline, regardless of length, makes it a buck in Virginia. So you end up letting some deer pass because you can't 100% positively confirm that it doesn't have a tiny spike on it. I stop hunting at sunset just to be safe because it's even harder to tell in low light although that's a prime hunting time.

This morning my son was up in "The Killing Tree" for the coolest morning we've had so far. He ran into the second painful reality of doe only season. He was within bow range during this photo.

He said it was an awesome hunt without firing a shot. He saw six deer, all bucks.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gerald strine

Re: Doe only season

Post by gerald strine »

That is a nice buck in the forefront of course it is doe only season .
Just like when i do not get selected for the fall turkey license I see all kinds of turkeys. :crazy:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

DuckHunt wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:57 pm
Where I hunt in Loudoun County, Virginia they have an early doe only season to help reduce the deer population. It's slowly working. It's actually a lot harder than it sounds. It's easy to tell the sex of a nice antlered buck, but it can be hard to tell the difference between a doe and a really small spike. A velvet covered 3" spike is the worst. And any hardened bone antler above the hairline, regardless of length, makes it a buck in Virginia. So you end up letting some deer pass because you can't 100% positively confirm that it doesn't have a tiny spike on it. I stop hunting at sunset just to be safe because it's even harder to tell in low light although that's a prime hunting time.

This morning my son was up in "The Killing Tree" for the coolest morning we've had so far. He ran into the second painful reality of doe only season. He was within bow range during this photo.

He said it was an awesome hunt without firing a shot. He saw six deer, all bucks.
nice buck :!: :!:
if your doe population is dropping to slowly get hold of michigan's DNR, they didn't mess around and nearly wiped them out in some areas of the state
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I see some 5 and 600 hundred pound black bear hunting during early archery season many years only to lead to a empty tag later on in archery bear....l feel your pain ...its all good
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hopefully this is the signs of things to come!👍
Some people just like stepping on rakes