Da Griz Knife

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Da Griz Knife

Post by IronNoggin »

Many moons ago I literally drooled over the amazing works of art that came from Da Griz's talented hands.
However in those days I simply could not afford to collect one.
Always regretted that...

Jump forward to just a very short time ago...
I happened to have a look at the Trading Post here, and lo & behold, there was listed an extremely fine example of his art.
I knew it was extremely likely my last chance to own one, so I pm'd Normous who had it listed.
That fine gentleman gave me a good deal, and so we shook paws on it.
Paced until it showed...

She was well worth the wait!! :thumbup:

The pictures don't really do her justice!!
This is indeed something I will cherish forever!

Many Thanks to Da Griz up yonder for your amazing talent.
And many thanks to Norm for making this old Redneck's dream come true!!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Re: Da Griz Knife

Post by IronNoggin »

Norm - When you see this perhaps you can elaborate on the handle material?
And of course any other relevant info you' like to share...

Thanks Buddy!
Matt
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

IronNoggin wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:56 pm
Many moons ago I literally drooled over the amazing works of art that came from Da Griz's talented hands.
However in those days I simply could not afford to collect one.
Always regretted that...

Jump forward to just a very short time ago...
I happened to have a look at the Trading Post here, and lo & behold, there was listed an extremely fine example of his art.
I knew it was extremely likely my last chance to own one, so I pm'd Normous who had it listed.
That fine gentleman gave me a good deal, and so we shook paws on it.
Paced until it showed...

She was well worth the wait!! :thumbup:

The pictures don't really do her justice!!
This is indeed something I will cherish forever!

Many Thanks to Da Griz up yonder for your amazing talent.
And many thanks to Norm for making this old Redneck's dream come true!!

Cheers,
Nog
…. I have one of Griz’ just like that Damascus… it truly is a sight to behold!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

Hi Matt,

The knife noted above was the 4th Da Grizz knife that I purchased from Daryl back in the day. This knife in particular caught my eye early one morning soon after Daryl posted it.

Within a minute looking at the gorgeous feather pattern my finger typed a PM response without hesitation. I do remember a few members posting after me that day with a bit of disappointment it sold rather quickly.

Daryl lived in Northern Michigan and despite health and heart problems he shared his knife building interest/hobby with our forum and offered our membership some unique one off Damascus knives at affordable prices.

Daryl, I might add was also very generous donating Charity knives to Boofest. while I never won one at Boofest I certainly got quite excited seeing the look on each winners face when drawn that night. You can't erase that memory. Everybody at Boofest wanted to win that knife and the jar was full of draw tickets.

I don't think Daryl intended his knives to be display knives and I think he would scoff and likely curse me for displaying his work on the wall like I did in a frame for years.

Daryl did not spent countless hours on his unique wood handles to make them absolutely perfect but his Damascas blade offerings were just SO darn gorgeous and one of a kind with no two being the same.
What I do like is that his knives featured blade sides were very similar and almost identical on both sides. The uniformity caught my eye for sure..

That's what drew me to your knife Matt. He told me the pattern was symmetrical on both sides just like my other Da Grizz knives.

SO, something happened late last year sitting in my tree stand and it hit me like a 2 Ton heavy brick.

NORM ....TAKE those knives OFF the wall and make use of them. 2 have been gifted since to young apprentice hunters to be used in the field like Daryl intended.
I cannot pay enough money to see the look on these young boys faces after I gave them a Grizz knife.

I have to be truthful and mention the generosity of Boo (Don Katsumi) from this forum had a lot to do with influencing my decision to give those knives to deserving youth.

Matt, I only remember Daryl telling me this was a rare African wood handle on the knife you bought from me. That is all I know.. Hope you get it bloody is all I can say.

A year before Daryl died from complicated heart issues, I contacted him asking if he had a unique piece of wood block looking lonely that I could purchase . He responded by asking for $20 shipping and he would find he something suitable and here it is below. From Africa he said.
7" x 4" x 2".
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it , but whatever it is, its going to be real nice. Wouldn't mind making my own knife to fit my hand one day with it.
The picture of this block of wood doesn't do justice to how real Purdy its features really are.

Cheers!

EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

i have 4 of his wonders(2 hunting and 1 paring and 1 filet knife). beautiful work indeed!
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Normous wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:16 pm
Hi Matt,

The knife noted above was the 4th Da Grizz knife that I purchased from Daryl back in the day. This knife in particular caught my eye early one morning soon after Daryl posted it.

Within a minute looking at the gorgeous feather pattern my finger typed a PM response without hesitation. I do remember a few members posting after me that day with a bit of disappointment it sold rather quickly.

Daryl lived in Northern Michigan and despite health and heart problems he shared his knife building interest/hobby with our forum and offered our membership some unique one off Damascus knives at affordable prices.

Daryl, I might add was also very generous donating Charity knives to Boofest. while I never won one at Boofest I certainly got quite excited seeing the look on each winners face when drawn that night. You can't erase that memory. Everybody at Boofest wanted to win that knife and the jar was full of draw tickets.

I don't think Daryl intended his knives to be display knives and I think he would scoff and likely curse me for displaying his work on the wall like I did in a frame for years.

Daryl did not spent countless hours on his unique wood handles to make them absolutely perfect but his Damascas blade offerings were just SO darn gorgeous and one of a kind with no two being the same.
What I do like is that his knives featured blade sides were very similar and almost identical on both sides. The uniformity caught my eye for sure..

That's what drew me to your knife Matt. He told me the pattern was symmetrical on both sides just like my other Da Grizz knives.

SO, something happened late last year sitting in my tree stand and it hit me like a 2 Ton heavy brick.

NORM ....TAKE those knives OFF the wall and make use of them. 2 have been gifted since to young apprentice hunters to be used in the field like Daryl intended.
I cannot pay enough money to see the look on these young boys faces after I gave them a Grizz knife.

I have to be truthful and mention the generosity of Boo (Don Katsumi) from this forum had a lot to do with influencing my decision to give those knives to deserving youth.

Matt, I only remember Daryl telling me this was a rare African wood handle on the knife you bought from me. That is all I know.. Hope you get it bloody is all I can say.

A year before Daryl died from complicated heart issues, I contacted him asking if he had a unique piece of wood block looking lonely that I could purchase . He responded by asking for $20 shipping and he would find he something suitable and here it is below. From Africa he said.
7" x 4" x 2".
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it , but whatever it is, its going to be real nice. Wouldn't mind making my own knife to fit my hand one day with it.
The picture of this block of wood doesn't do justice to how real Purdy its features really are.

Cheers!

hi norm,
my filet knife handle looks kinda similar to the block you have. he never told me any name of the wood though
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Normous

Post by Normous »

Hi Jeff,
I remember Daryls fillet knives offered here on the forum.
Maybe someone can post a photo of one of his necklace knives.
My friend David ( Pydpiper) RIP had one that Daryl made.

Da Grizz was a man of few words and explanation.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats Nog on a fine looking knife. Almost a shame to get it dirty....almost. Enjoy :thumbup:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
janesy

Post by janesy »

I was in talks with Darryl briefly to have a knife made for me. However the timing was not in my favor and due to his rapidly decreasing health, my knife was not meant to be.

I saw Norms post, and as I was trying NOT to send a text I saw Matt's response and I thought that this one should maybe head out West.

I'll get one one the next round :thumbup:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Normous wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:16 pm

Norm: Many Many Thanks for your detailed reply! Certainly Appreciated. :thumbup:

I was among those who thought on this knife a tad too long when it was initially listed.
Wished I hadn't for a long time.
But it has now come full circle as it were, and I very much am happy with that!

Rest Assured, it will indeed be getting bloody!
Reports to follow!!

Cheers,
Matt
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Beautiful knife!

Couple of Darrel stories: I can recall pm'ing him about building a knife and he didnt have a set price and insisted that i make an offer. Only guy i knew who had any knowledge about custom knives was Don so I asked for his input. I think Darrel ended up selling below his "cost" but never let on, i think he liked that they were going to be treasured and passed down.

What i remember most about him was he hated gut hooks!!! I was not aware of that and asked for one. Oh BoY! Anyone who knew that man can guess how that went! lol

I can still picture an axe and knife combo that he did and had posted. Beautiful work, all of them are. I bought one off the trading post that had a smiling face in the grain of the wood. I think there was another one he had for sale that had winnie the poo in the grain of the wood. (iirc) ? Can only imagine the lengths he went to when it came to picking handles let alone the blades.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

janesy wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:50 am
I was in talks with Darryl briefly to have a knife made for me. However the timing was not in my favor and due to his rapidly decreasing health, my knife was not meant to be.

I saw Norms post, and as I was trying NOT to send a text I saw Matt's response and I thought that this one should maybe head out West.

I'll get one one the next round :thumbup:
Chris I have one. Thinking of letting it go,if I do I will let you know
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Doing what it was designed to do:

And doing so VERY Well!

Cheers,
Nog
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

:thumbup:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Normous

Post by Normous »

As Da Griz would have wanted to see his knives at work.
Cool depiction of a sharp looking knife in action.
Cheers Matt!
Matrix 355
Boo Strings