2022 Fall Bear Report

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

2022 Fall Bear Report

Post by Species8472 »

In a typical year i begin baiting 2 weeks before the season opens. Typically this means set up around the third week of August. This year things got off to a late start and baits were not set until September 10th. In years when i have more time i will bait off the beaten path at a back lake that is only water accessible and camp there for the hunt. This year with less time i opted to run my baits close to the cottage. One is a walk in next to a beaver pond (established), one is about a mile by boat (established) and new this year is a third that is about 2 miles by boat.

All the baits are shaker barrels that hold about 350 lbs of whole corn. Anise is also used as an attractant on stumps.

My brother-in-law and my nephew used the cottage September 15th to 18th (I did not arrive until the evening of the 18th) and were both able to tag out. My nephew took a nice eater (130 lbs):

My BIL took a little gaffer (maybe 40 or 50 lbs) and declined the photo op. They hunted my established baits as they seemed pessimistic about the new spot and never even checked it. I headed to the new spot Monday the 19th to check the bait and it was completely empty and there was bear crap of varying sizes everywhere. I decided at that point i was going to hunt the new spot exclusively. A few pics of the new spot:

The shooting lane and barrel. The lane is about 35 yards long and slopes downward from the barrel towards the lake.

I am not a fan of using ground blinds when ground hunting for bear as you can't leave them out as the bears destroy them (been there done that). I am convinced the bears can tell the camo doesn't match and the geometric shape becomes noticeable. Instead i typically brush in behind a tree or two using native material. My hide for this hunt at the bottom of the lane:

Distance behind me to the lake:

All set. Rifle is a 308 Winnie shooting 165 grain Accubonds

It poured rain most of the day Monday and being solo and red/green colour blind i decided to stay in as blood tracking if required in the rain is a nightmare when i am alone. Plus i am getting old and lazy and the wood stove and whiskey were calling. Headed out Tuesday around 4 o'clock with the zodiac:

I did not even bother taking my gas Yamaha for the zodiac out of storage this year. With that setup i have about a 10 mile range when fully charged. Slower to be sure but so much more peaceful and what's the hurry anyways. Tuesday i saw 6 different bears. Two potential shooters, a mother and 2 cubs and lastly the biggest bear i have ever seen in my life (made the 350 lb bear i took 2 years ago look like a toy). Watched him for 30 minutes but he never gave me an ethical shot. I am all good with that as it would have been a hell of a job getting him out solo. Probably one of my best days in the bush ever. Beauty weather and get to sit and watch 6 different bears for hours including a giant all while sitting on a chair only a 100 feet away. Wednesday went out again despite the odd downpour and it was more of the same except no giant and a new mother with 3 cubs joined the show. Fun to watch those little gaffers wrestle and every once in a while jump on momma. Thursday i took the day off the hunt to do work around the cottage in prep for winter. That brings us to yesterday.

Went out at 4 o'clock again and it was one of those days when the bush is so quiet that it is creepy. I figured no way anything is coming in something is not right it is just too damn quiet. Well at 640 pm i was proven wrong and a new guy showed up. Not huge by any stretch but nice eating size and manageable being solo. I watched that bear for 42 minutes before he finally gave me a decent shot. At impact he jumped, landed and did not get up - just did the moan.

The bear (141 lbs on my garage scale):

Loaded:

It was perfect hanging weather Friday night (low 30s) so hung him up in the box of my truck to keep him safe from the local wolves and coyotes. Gerry rigged my canoe rack to double as a gantry for hanging:

All and all one of the best weeks i have had in a long time. I do enjoy the group camp atmosphere as well but there is something special about being solo. All the losses and/or wins are 100% your own.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
janesy

Re: 2022 Fall Bear Report

Post by janesy »

Great Hunt! Congratulations

Thanks for posting
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Congrats. That is some beautiful territory. I love paddling or trolling to a hunting spot. It's amazing how much game you can see when your moving along in near silence.

I enjoy hunting with my kids and family. It's nice to have multiple people in the woods to experience hunting through their eyes. But my daughter's three largest bucks and my dozen largest were all taken when we were in the woods alone. Less sound, scent and hunting pressure has its way of paying dividends.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Nice telling of your hunt , congratulations to all the hunters well done.
The smaller bears are great table fair sure to be enjoyed this fall and winter.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Well done and congratulations. Love the Zodiac...think I mentioned that before :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Great read, congratulation man!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Nice bear congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Pretty dang cool!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Good looking bears there!