Public Land Dilemas

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Public Land Dilemas

Post by xcaliber »

Well folks, I went to check on two stands on a piece of public land that I have taken many deer from, and I have a new neighbor about 60 yards from my stand. Now I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they didn't see my stand, it is a little further back than their stand is. I took a picture of the stand with mine in the background, and a picture of the name, and number on the stand. Although I did not hunt this morning I drove out there before the 5am deadline to draw, which only fills up on opening of gun season, or Muzzle Loader season. I asked the 6 people there this morning if they knew how this guy is, got no response from them, so I went in to talk to the ranger, he said he will let them know that are right on top of me, and I put it up September 1st which is the rule here. I told him that they don't have to move it, and that I only bow hunt the area so they know I'm there. Funny thing is that I know deer never travel on the path they're on after summer is over! :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ko4nrbs

Re: Public Land Dilemas

Post by ko4nrbs »

As long as I am physically able I will continue hunting almost inaccessible spots. I’ve had to camp out in my boat when I lived in Oklahoma. Now that I have moved to Alabama I hunt a swampy area. Rubber boots and on many occasions hip waders are required to access the hammocks. No one around in this spot yet. It helps that it is also archery only.

Saw where the gators cross the muddy end of the slough so I am very cautious wading around in there after dark. Haven’t heard of anyone being attacked and I don’t want to be the first one.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Boo

Post by Boo »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:20 pm
Saw where the gators cross the muddy end of the slough so I am very cautious wading around in there after dark. Haven’t heard of anyone being attacked and I don’t want to be the first one.
Bill
:shock: :wtf: :crazy: :eusa-hand:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

ko4nrbs wrote:
As long as I am physically able I will continue hunting almost inaccessible spots. I’ve had to camp out in my boat when I lived in Oklahoma. Now that I have moved to Alabama I hunt a swampy area. Rubber boots and on many occasions hip waders are required to access the hammocks. No one around in this spot yet. It helps that it is also archery only.

Bill
Yep, the good ole days! :thumbup:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

One of my main hunting spots has about 20 hunters there is a lot of land but as soon a l killed a few of the bigger bucks over the years a few of them started getting a little "closer " as if l was magical every once in a while I have to go to the property manager that l am good friends with and give very generous Christmas presents to and she puts the fear of God in them .l guess l kinda got squatters rights lol.
Then there is the ever problem of the trespassing A holes sometimes hunting definitely has its battles Dan.
When l get a nice buck now it's like a total secret now l learned my lessons if someone asks me what l saw l say hunting is terrible in my spot.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
artifact

Post by artifact »

:lol: Looks like you are learning Joe, I could relate more than a few similar stories!
Lesson learned, now we don't tell anyone anything, I never minded sharing info., until as you said, the people you shared the info. with are suddenly more than a "little close" to where you are hunting, OR FISHING!
I have a friend who was shooting some dandy buck and was "TALKING TOO MUCH" and showing pics., all of a sudden there are people all around him and it's gotten to the point where tree stands are now being either stolen or destroyed.
Talk all you want, and show pics., but lie like H*** about where you shoot your deer!!!!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I am fairly new to this Public Hunting stuff. Nearly all land is owned here in Tx. so leasing is the norm. Well on Corps of Engineers land around an area lake I had scouted and found a couple of spots that I liked. I had trimmed a few briars and such and was looking forward to this mornings hunt. I arrived at the little parking area over 1 1/2 hours before legal shooting time thinking that I was early. :lol: :lol: :lol: The parking area will hold 8-10 trucks. It was full, two more parked on little approach road and two sets of headlights behind me coming in behind me. I turned around and headed back to Ft. Worth. I will hunt there during the week and let them have it on opening weekend from now on, I guess. Was disappointing but It looked like a mad house that I didnt need to be part of. File this under know better next time.
janesy

Post by janesy »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:52 pm
I am fairly new to this Public Hunting stuff. Nearly all land is owned here in Tx. so leasing is the norm. Well on Corps of Engineers land around an area lake I had scouted and found a couple of spots that I liked. I had trimmed a few briars and such and was looking forward to this mornings hunt. I arrived at the little parking area over 1 1/2 hours before legal shooting time thinking that I was early. :lol: :lol: :lol: The parking area will hold 8-10 trucks. It was full, two more parked on little approach road and two sets of headlights behind me coming in behind me. I turned around and headed back to Ft. Worth. I will hunt there during the week and let them have it on opening weekend from now on, I guess. Was disappointing but It looked like a mad house that I didnt need to be part of. File this under know better next time.
That's insane. We just simply don't have that up here.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

It's a blessing to own my property that i hunt on, all the locals know
it's the only place i hunt and they stay off out of respect for this
old man, the so called (hunters ) that come from who knows where
and comes on my property know not to come back :eusa-naughty:

Dave :mrgreen:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:06 pm
ko4nrbs wrote:

Bill
Yep, the good ole days! :thumbup:
I am definitely slowing down. Still don’t know if I will hunt the WMA or not. The terrain is so steep I have a difficult time climbing it. Dragging a deer out of there may be the end of me!!

Thankfully the swamp is flat. I can deal with the wet areas as long as it’s not too deep.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Be glad you have public land to hunt on close to home.

Here in the deep south of Ontario we have none and all the private is heavily hunted and gaining permission is about as likely as winning the lottery! Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

We are lucky I guess to have access to over hunted land! :lol: :lol: