Zwickey Black Diamond broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

James McLaughlin

Zwickey Black Diamond broadheads

Post by James McLaughlin »

Why are these broadheads seldom or never used in crossbows? I shot them in my compound bows and my recurve bows but never see them mentioned in crossbow references. Thanks in advance.
nchunterkw

Re: Zwickey Black Diamond broadheads

Post by nchunterkw »

I tried a similar Grizzly last year. They are just really long and will stick out past the stirrup with most arrows. I'm not a fan of that and it was a pain to hunt with because of that. If I cut my arrows down it would work, but IMO there are way better BHs than a Zwickey, Compare it to something like a VPA 2 blade made from a solid piece of tool steel.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My opinion which should get some replies. I personally like fixed heads but have gone to mechanicals, and back and forth. What I have witnessed myself is that the faster bows do much better with accuracy than fixed heads. There are so many new fixed models made for speed that have the competition still alive. I used NAP Thunderheads for many years, and swore I would never switch until I shot some 16" long arrows at 400 grains with a slight crosswind, and I couldn't hit XL pizza box at 40 yards. I have shot really small fixed heads with much better results. TOTA is one brand, and Cabelas CopperHeads do a great job on flight, and awesome blood trails. I think Cabels is now Bass Pro Black Outs. Here is a link to TOTA

https://www.toothofthearrowbroadheads.com/
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ODH

Post by ODH »

Dating myself a little bit, but I bought an Exocet back ln 1994. For the first five years I owned that bow I shot nothing but eskimo's for hunting. They always performed and flew well as long as you orient the blades horizontally. Now my favorite head is a RMSG Cutthroat single bevel. A much more devastating and easier head to sharpen. Now I am shooting a 308 short. I have no idea how they would fly out of a faster bow, but speed doesn't kill. If they fly true out of your bow and you can get them sharp enough that is all that counts. They will never fail.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

ODH wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:57 pm
Dating myself a little bit, but I bought an Exocet back ln 1994. For the first five years I owned that bow I shot nothing but eskimo's for hunting. They always performed and flew well as long as you orient the blades horizontally. Now my favorite head is a RMSG Cutthroat single bevel. A much more devastating and easier head to sharpen. Now I am shooting a 308 short. I have no idea how they would fly out of a faster bow, but speed doesn't kill. If they fly true out of your bow and you can get them sharp enough that is all that counts. They will never fail.
Which cutthroats are you shooting? Did you cut your arrows back so they stay inside the stirrup?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
ODH

Post by ODH »

Keith, I am shooting the 125 grain, RH bevel. I am shooting them on 20" Zombie Slayers. So obviously they stick out way past the stirrup. I like a 450 gr. arrow. I don't shoot past 30 yards and that weight with a 2 blade produces nothing but pass thru's. That single bevel upfront steers the arrow and they are as accurate as any mechanical. :thumbup:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have some 200gr VPA single bevels I shoot, along with their 3 blade. Both are very accurate out of my Micro, but they are not real long so they stay inside the stirrup I switched to these late last year and so far have taken 1 deer with each head. Both passthrus and buried up to the insert in a tree.
Easy to sharpen to a ridiculously sharp edge too.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
grouse

Post by grouse »

I shot a couple of different Zwickey models out of my recurve back in the 1970s. They were a simpler alternative to Bear Razorheads at the time. A small fine grained file was all I needed to keep reasonably sharp. They were accurate enough, and performed adequately, on 20 - 25 yard shots. Since those days, broadhead technology has advanced light years and the Zwickeys are unnecessarily primitive. There are lots of much better broadheads out there.
axiom
350 SE
ODH

Post by ODH »

nchunterkw wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:07 am
I have some 200gr VPA single bevels I shoot, along with their 3 blade. Both are very accurate out of my Micro, but they are not real long so they stay inside the stirrup I switched to these late last year and so far have taken 1 deer with each head. Both passthrus and buried up to the insert in a tree.
Easy to sharpen to a ridiculously sharp edge too.
The Cutthroats are shorter than either of the 2 heads you mentioned above, so they should easily be within the stirrup with a 16" or shorter arrow.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I killed deer with the zwicky but the steel is kinda cheap and they rust very easily.
A rothaar snuffer was available in stainless and flew just the same with more cut buy buy zwicky.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Simmons Sharks… 8)
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yep! Intercepter 4 blade
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.