Can't break the heat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Can't break the heat

Post by XB I GO »

I've been in the stand enough times that I could have limited out on my 3 bucks, 2 does easily by now. But, I just can't get over the temperature. It's been mid to upper 80's every afternoon. I'm worried if I can't find a deer after a little search it will be ruined by the time I do find it. I know they're there so I decided to leave them alone and go fishing until the temperature breaks or Thanksgiving comes around. Anyone else having a very hot October?
nchunterkw

Re: Can't break the heat

Post by nchunterkw »

You are OK to hunt in that heat. You surely can't leave it overnight, but the key is to keep the body temp falling. A deer's body temp is around 101 degrees, so even at 85 it will start cooling. Find it, gut it, skin it and get it in a cooler or refrigerator within a reasonable time and the meat will be fine. I hunt in that kind of heat a lot here in NC. Definitely not ideal, but the 20 degree difference between 85degrees and 65degrees won't do much to help the meat cool alot faster, but it sure feels better on the hunter. You gotta get the meat below 40 to stop bacteria growth so at either temp you gotta get it into something that will cool it to below 40. Even at 50 degrees or even 45 degrees out, you can't leave a deer overnight.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I don't like the heat, or the bugs. I have the rest of the season to cherry pick days I enjoy being out. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
adzsask

Post by adzsask »

65F in western canadian mountains, down to 27F last night.
Micro 335 nightmare
boo string
wheely cheek rest
munch mount
norm arrows
Boo

Post by Boo »

XB, you are what is referred to as being prudent. You are showing a mature attitude as a hunter. Go fishing!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Boo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:58 pm
XB, you are what is referred to as being prudent. You are showing a mature attitude as a hunter. Go fishing!
Agreed. Good on you XB. Been fun watching you grow on this forum. Myself i like to wait until there is snow on the ground. Texas snow is not typically an option but 85F is unfathomable to me. Snow in the forecast for my camp next week.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

X B IGO, 85° in a pop up is a “wonderful” experience isn’t it. Bright side, some folks have to pay for a sauna.😎 Don’t like the temps either. Hoping it does cool down some soon.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Starting to cool down here in Southern Ontario. The only reason I have not been out yet is due to that precious commodity called "FREE TIME" LOL
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Nobody likes to hunt in the heat...but we don't all live in Canada. Can't apply your Canadian logic to Texas (or North Carolina) hunting. As far as meat spoilage goes almost no difference between 85 and 65.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

XB I GO we are supposed to be in for a "cold front" next week around Wednesday and Thursday. Supposed to have a front move thru with rain. (Whatever that is :lol: ), and then temps are supposed to drop. They are predicting low to mid 40's on Tuesday thru Thursday for morning temps.
I'll take those morning temps for an East Texas October any time. :thumbup:

NO SWEATING in a popup for me!!! Paul, that is a miserable way to attempt to hunt...unless it's raining, or cold, or windy or ... :lol: :lol:

I've located my "target buck". Just waiting on cooler temps like you! :thumbup:

I'm now officially waiting on this buck. I've had him on camera now 3 seasons in a row. He has a split G2 on his left beam. This stand is overlooking a small seasonal creek.
If I manage to pull this off, it'll be a chore getting him out of there. It's all uphill and a 1/4 mile from anywhere accessible by a 4-wheeler.

Ahhh... the price we pay to hunt good Deer!!! :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!