What Fixed head are ya shootin

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Archer Ontario

What Fixed head are ya shootin

Post by Archer Ontario »

I recently purchased an Excalibur Assassin 420 TD
I’m looking for a great flying fixed head for moose
Anyone here shoot a 420 with fixed heads ?
Looking for recommendations
Normous

Re: What Fixed head are ya shootin

Post by Normous »

The short compact US Made Tooth of the Arrow solid 4 blade fits your requirement . 1" and 1 3/16" cut versions between 100 and 175 grain available.

Its what I would personally use on moose using a total weight arrow around 500gr +.
Last edited by Normous on Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

What Norm said or this is my go to head for everything.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232516457338?epid=710100439&hash=item36230f937a:g:HZIAAOSwOVpXfQAY&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsPS6GAqgS1uCw9cdrCIRHKjtIZGoxNUCCISRlORx%2Bb2gqyPvgPLEvRmdryXLrIu6EusHVbW88JG7KMlKx3OVrb2%2FvCOPaAPaY7rqdSYnSbL9S5ryCzHzzsZagqFqU4r0HO9Ku5W92SJHR1WsDwvi4il495kTsvl%2BEsrYgnUR2f5eFFX9%2BDwjzbAAF05LF3Hr1H%2BnD%2BfRNXcGNJUtAkemW9vbGG6RPvohfVsX3ySVjb2x%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5TRuPP_YA
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Magnus Serazor, best I found
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Normon knows his stuff! :thumbup:

I use two heads for "Big Uglies".
Tooth of the Arrow. (TOTA)
Vantage Point Archery. (VPA)

Both are great heads. The VPA in 200 grain, takes a bit more "fine tuning" to get it to fly well out past 40 yards. Or at least it does in my set-up.
The reason for more tuning is the fact that is has a larger surface.

The 3S200 VPA has an overall length of 3" with a blade length of 2.25 and blade thickness of .050. 1/18th in cut.
The 3S200W VPA has an overall length of 2.50 with a blade length of 1.75 and a thickness of .045 on the blades. 1 1/4 cut.
These are also 3 blades. Not 4.

The TOTA 1 3/16th in 150 grain non-vented is 0.77 in overall length. That makes it the shortest fixed 4 blade on the market. And it is a TRUE 4 blade.
Blade thickness is.040.
Blades are set at a 45-degree angle.

TOTA makes this statement on their website:

"Tooth of the Arrow's 1-3/16-inch fixed broadhead guarantees results:
If you use Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads and do not experience better flight, more penetration, and quicker recoveries, let us know, and we will refund your order. That is the Tooth of the Arrow guarantee."

That's a pretty bold statement. :thumbup:

The TOTA requires a little extra to resharpen due to blade angle.
The VPA is easy to resharpen on any flat stone.

Try them both and see what YOU like!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Normous wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:32 am
The short compact US Made Tooth of the Arrow solid 4 blade fits your requirement . 1" and 1 3/16" cut versions between 100 and 175 grain available.

Its what I would personally use on moose using a total weight arrow around 500gr +.
x 2.

This is my first year shooting the TOTA. I'm shooting the vented 1-3/16 XL. So far I've put the same broadhead through a deer spine and a bear. I've resharpened it and will be shooting it into my next harvest as well. It still looks perfect. Here it is after the second kill, resharpened and ready to ride again.
It leaves a mean hole.
They're the most durable head I've tried and are surprisingly accurate on the right arrows.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

The TOTA is a compact, smallish broadhead that is tough and crazy sharp! If you don’t depend on large cuts and want something tough and accurate, the TOTA is your huckleberry for sure!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

Norm makes all my bolts for me
Amazing work
And I will be getting Tooth of the arrow broadheads 125 grains
With a 500 grain bolt
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I never had an issue with the old excalibur boltcutter it's stainless steel really tough you need a 50 grain insert and they fly great .l killed a few bear and deer with them no problems don't expect a giant blood trail unless you have a perfect hit.
I used to believe that a fixed blade was needed for bear and bigger game but many hunters have debunked this on the forum with many bear harvested.
I have never killed a bear with a mechanical .
I have killed 2 with the boltcutter and experienced a poor blood trail but recovered both bear at about 70 yards .
The swat 4 blades have just impressed me so much l used the giant rothaar snuffers in my stick bow days and they left a lot of blood and pennitrated well but the swat has even more cut than them.
Even the 6 or so deer l have shot with the boltcutter left a smallish blood trail compared to an excalibur xact cut or similar 3 blade.

It's all personal choice but the fixed blades in the 1 1/8 inch cut range just don't leave the blood as a mechanicals l have 6 bows and shoot the same mechanical broadhead and bolts out of all of them all fly perfect l can't do that with a fixed .
The other night a friend of mine had a crappy hit on a doe I believe it would have probably survived with a small fixed blade.
The huge superfreak was just too devastating for the deer to survive the massive 3 1/2 inch wound and it was recovered the wound looked like a machete did the cutting .
My friend needs practice in deer shot placement but the big b52 saved his butt.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Post by grouse »

My ignorance greatly exceeds my knowledge about this subject but, I don't see why you couldn't use an expandable tip on moose when you are shooting a bow as powerful as the 420. A few years ago I put a slick trick magnum through a doe's chest and neck, a double pass through. I was using a350 SE and she must have reached back just as I shot. A reliable mechanical should work fine on moose with the rocket launcher you will be using. Just my opinion.
axiom
350 SE
Boo

Post by Boo »

Expendables need weight behind them more than they need speed.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:20 am
My ignorance greatly exceeds my knowledge about this subject but, I don't see why you couldn't use an expandable tip on moose when you are shooting a bow as powerful as the 420. A few years ago I put a slick trick magnum through a doe's chest and neck, a double pass through. I was using a350 SE and she must have reached back just as I shot. A reliable mechanical should work fine on moose with the rocket launcher you will be using. Just my opinion.
Think of it in the simplest of terms. You could shoot a light arrow real fast, or a heavier arrow the same speed and the next bow down. That where the 400+ excals really shine
Being able to send 420-450 grain arrows at the same speed a 380 shoots a 350grn is a huge advantage.

With that said, moose die easy, I prefer a solid fixed, but given the right setup I wouldn't feel outgunned with a GOOD mechanical. Just wouldn't be the one I'd grab first. To me it has more to do with where they are usually standing when you shoot them. They don't tend to like nice clear wide open spaces :lol: where recovery is easy.
I have yet to take a moose with an arrow tho, so take that with a grain of salt.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shoot a 500gr arrow at whitetails with a 200gr VPA solid 1 1/4" 3 blade. I sharpen them on a Stay Sharp "344" , so the bevel is more like 44 degrees than the standard 60 degrees of a 3 blade. Shot 3 deer with this setup so far and had great blood on all. Why so heavy...because stuff happens. I aim straight up the leg, lower 3rd to try to hit top of the heart. The last deer I misjudged a bit. I thought 20 and she was closer to 24 or 25 I guess. I hit a tad lower than I wanted but blasted through the lower leg bone, through the lungs and through the heart. The leg was literally hanging by skin and that bone was in half...shattered. Moose have bigger bones than a deer. To be safe, I'd at least be 500gr out of your bow but 600 would be better IMO. The 300gr version of the 1 1/4" VPA 3 blade would be great I think. Then if you hit something substantial in that moose, you'll still have a great chance at a pass through and he still dies. And if you make a perfect shot and hit only ribs, it doesn't matter anyway. Plan for the worst, shoot for the best.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Magnus Buzzcuts and Mad Hornets,all with serrated blades do me well. Best warranty out there.
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string