Duck, Duck, Deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Duck, Duck, Deer

Post by nchunterkw »

Well dang. I wrote up a nice story about going hunting for ducks Friday morning (and harvesting 2 teal and a Woodie) and then going for deer in the afternoon( and shooting a nice doe), but then when I tried to submit it I lost it.

But it was a great day...just exhausting.

Hit the doe a bit lower then I wanted and took out the leg bone, lungs and left a big hole in her heart. Shattered and busted the leg bone completely in half. Complete pass through and a great great blood trail. Blood the whole way. She ran probably 100 yards in the pine thicket and laid down. I tracked her right away and she was dead when I found her but she didn't drop over. Legs were tucked under her like she laid down

She came out broadside but turned into me a bit so I moved the shot a little forward on the leg. Exit hole was right behind the shoulder.
Just goes to show you, that blood trails are finicky. This one was great and I hit the heart...but she went pretty far.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
grouse

Re: Duck, Duck, Deer

Post by grouse »

That seems like a pretty good hit, and you easily found the doe, so it's all good. Now you have your choice of fresh venison or duck for dinner. You've had an excellent day!
axiom
350 SE
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the bountiful day !
were you using your single bevel heads on the 500 gr pulse arrows ?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats Keith on a great day! She sure did travel a bit after a crushing hit, sometimes I'm amazed!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Congrats brother!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

Its not the first time I cursed the forum gremlins when my post disappears right before sending , Argggggg!

Noting, its down right baffling that deer can make it 100 y with a hole in lungs and heart and a broken leg. :shock:

Duck and deer combo...Nice!

Congratulations :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
adzsask

Post by adzsask »

Backstraps fried in duck fat... yummy.
Micro 335 nightmare
boo string
wheely cheek rest
munch mount
norm arrows
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations Keith! It's kinda crazy that you hit 2 lungs, a heart and a leg bone and she went 100 yards? I would never have guessed it would go that far but every kill is different. :crazy:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Ducks and deer, now that's my kind of combo. Congratulations on the harvests. About the only thing predictable about any particular shot placement is that the deer's reaction to it will be unpredictable.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Glad you found her it happens to us all.One time l double lunged a nice eight point with a giant snuffer a lot like what you use it went about as far as you report .lt left very little blood till about 75 yards until l assume it was coming out the mouth at that point.
We live in a tidal area the river and surrounding lakes are loaded with ducks.
I killed hundreds of ducks when l was a kid it was a lot of fun , regular ducks ,wood ducks ,teal,geese l just reached a point where I just somehow grew tired of it .
I still hunt geese with the crossbow l make goose jerky occasionally not bad kinda tastes like beef ...until the next day all the oil seeps out ..but l just don't want to eat another duck as long as l live lol.
I hope l don't get tired of deer hunting like that.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
ODH

Post by ODH »

Cpngrats, on another doe!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

gerald strine wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:30 pm
Congratulations on the bountiful day !
were you using your single bevel heads on the 500 gr pulse arrows ?
Hey Gerald,
No, this was my last arrow with the VPA 200gr 3 blade. I built 3 of each. Next I'll move on to the other crossbow with the 200gr single bevels. All the arrows are around 500gr. Be interesting to compare blood trails if I'm able to shoot a few with the singles.

I tried 3 baldes in the past (Montec CS) but never could get a 3 blade really sharp.....but then again I didn't understand as much about sharpening then as I do now. But I was able to get these really sharp with the 344 system. I like that idea a lot.....and I think I'm going to make myself a nicer version of it.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Good job Keith!! Glad you found your deer. Sometimes things just don't go the way we planned!! :lol:
In East Texas we get a lot of Wood Ducks. Love the color on the males! Probably my favorite duck to see.
Congrats on a great morning! :thumbup:

And as for things NOT always going as planned...

This is the exit wound side of this Deer. She was shot from a ground blind at about 20 yards. Arrow went thru the chest cavity and thru the leg as it exited.
I recovered the arrow about 20 yards from where she was originally standing. She made it maybe 30 yards. :eusa-think:
You NEVER know how a Deer will react when hit!! :thumbup:

This is the entrance hole. Look closely and you can see where the broadhead nicked the back of the front leg as it impacted the deer.
Needless to say, there was a pretty good blood trail.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Congrats.
The doe I shot last fall was facing me with her head up 18 yards from me between a couple trees.
I hit her in the throat on her right side and it exited just above her left shoulder. I never found my arrow in the swamp behind her, but she was spurting blood about 5 ft both sides. She went about 150 yards. (60 yards as the crow flies) When I found her she was also laying down with her legs tucked under and her head straight forward with her chin on the ground... Looked like she died the moment she laid down.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: