nchunter

Boltcutter Broadhead Review

Post by nchunter »

This test of Excalibur’s Boltcutters may be of interest to some:

https://youtu.be/Arf0gC3_YJs
Lonewolf McQuade

Re: Boltcutter Broadhead Review

Post by Lonewolf McQuade »

The 150gr Boltcutters have worked phenomenal for me the past 13 years!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Saw this earlier from John Lusk. Pretty impressive!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Impressive review! When I first started crossbow hunting, I bought a 3 pack of boltcutters, installed 2 of them on the arrows that came with my Axiom, and went hunting. Within a couple of weeks, I shot a doe (complete pass through) and watched her drop within sight. I have no idea if there was much of a blood trail, but I was happy with the quick kill. The next year I switched to slick tricks because they have 4 blades and I thought that might be an advantage. They both are good broadheads.
axiom
350 SE
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

grouse wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:58 am
I shot a doe (complete pass through) and watched her drop within sight.
I had about the same experience with them. A 3-pack came with one of the bows I bought from Wyvern. I used one for practice and found them to shoot extremely well. They shot well when other fixed heads didn't on the arrow setup I was using at the time.

I proceeded to launch the other two about 30 yards into doe and both fell within sight. I too didn't even think to check for a blood trail because it was unnecessary.

I'd have no issues using them again. They shoot great and work well in my experience.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

If l lived up north where it wasn't so thick l would have no problem l had a Lotta luck with them too.
Down in my tidal area it's literally a jungle and l need a big blood trail or you simply will loose the animal or spend hours recovering it they are not the best choice for my area.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

What makes them "fly well" is the short overall length of the broadhead. Less surface drag.
You see this also in TOTA's and Slick Tricks.

The shorter the broadhead length the less it takes to steer the head. That's why a lot of folks don't like Tuffheads or VPA's. You have to "tune" your arrows to get them to "fly right".
What I've see is folks will try a broadhead that has an overall length of say 3 inches (life the Tuffhead or VPA) but shoot 2-inch vanes. Not enough vane to steer the missile!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

longbow joe wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:47 pm
Down in my tidal area it's literally a jungle and l need a big blood trail or you simply will loose the animal or spend hours recovering it they are not the best choice for my area.
Same here.
Tried them alright.
And while they had decent accuracy, the blood trails were severely lacking.
Sold them all for a song on here, went to larger cut mechnicals, and never looked back.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:02 am
What makes them "fly well" is the short overall length of the broadhead. Less surface drag.

The shorter the broadhead length the less it takes to steer the head. That's why a lot of folks don't like Tuffheads or VPA's. You have to "tune" your arrows to get them to "fly right".
What I've see is folks will try a broadhead that has an overall length of say 3 inches (life the Tuffhead or VPA) but shoot 2-inch vanes. Not enough vane to steer the missile!!
Not to mention they are 150 grain, which helps a lot.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:41 am
AJ01 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:02 am

Not to mention they are 150 grain, which helps a lot.
YES...it do!! :mrgreen: :lol: