Thinking about a Charger EXT cocking crank?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Thinking about a Charger EXT cocking crank?

Post by Boo »

If you're thing about a Charger crank, look hard at the Charger Lite. It is a very nice crank. It weighs half of what the EXT Charger weights, a little smaller and it is dead simple. Although at the bench, the EXT is a little more handy, the Charger Light is a good way to save $80. It slips on and a spring loaded paddle snaps a pin into the hole of the butt and it is very secure. The only negative and it really isn't a big one for me is that the anti-reverse isn't silent.
Edit to add. Cord replacement is very user friendly.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rab1951

Re: Thinking about a Charger EXT cocking crank?

Post by rab1951 »

I just got my lite charger today and I like it better than the EXT.
Suppressor 400 TD
16.5" Zombie Slayer
110gr brass insert
50gr screw in weight
Blazer vanes with right helical
100 grain head
Approx 450gr total
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Nice post Boo!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Thanks Don.

Still can cock my 380, but recognize it is getting a little tougher each passing year.
Been toying with the idea of a charger, so will be looking into these...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Are the hooks heavy duty ?
Boo

Post by Boo »

onebigskittle wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:58 pm
Are the hooks heavy duty ?
They the new improved ones with the bridge on top. In the second picture you can see the pin on the spring loaded paddle that locks the crank in place. The 3rd picture shows you how easy rope replacement will be if necessary.
Some advice from the engineer who designed the crank to anyone buying one. Shorten the cord. It will really help make using this easier than if the hooks are flying around. I set up mine to need 1 to 2 full turns before there is tension on the crank cord. I did that to take the stress off of the knots. I think that it is safer that way.
Edit: It just occurred to me that my EXT is set up so that the cord is fully extended and I have to pull the string up to engage the hooks. So Kyle is right, set it up so that there is no slack in the cord when engaging the hooks.
janesy

Post by janesy »

That look interesting Don, I may give it a try. I have EXT brackets on both of my bows, but as small and light as the EXT is, it can always be lighter. Also I seem to be a little forgetful these days which frustrates the crap out of me, so a second crank my not be a terrible idea :lol:

Also, I shortened my EXT so that there was only a couple wraps on the spools for my 400TD. I figured tighter to the spool is more torque, but maybe an extra turn at the end of the day. I don't know if it made a difference or not.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The advice on line length is different from the conventional advice. Normally we are told not to put any load on the line until a couple of wraps are on the spool. The point where line attaches to the spool is usually the weak point in the system.,we were told.

Maybe the line strength is such a high capacity that there is no reason to fear a knot failure. Or maybe the initial load is small enough that there will be a few wraps on the spool before the load is any concern. Or maybe the old wisdom is an old wives’ tale.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Thanks for the advice. I probably give this crank a try. Lighter is always better the older I get.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hi5 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:30 pm
The advice on line length is different from the conventional advice. Normally we are told not to put any load on the line until a couple of wraps are on the spool. The point where line attaches to the spool is usually the weak point in the system.,we were told.

Maybe the line strength is such a high capacity that there is no reason to fear a knot failure. Or maybe the initial load is small enough that there will be a few wraps on the spool before the load is any concern. Or maybe the old wisdom is an old wives’ tale.
I agree wholeheartedly.

However, I asked this question at the ATA a couple years ago when this crank was introduced alongside the 440. Given the length of that beast and that the crank is also used on the 400TD. The knot must be strong enough.

Even still, at the end of the day, the pressure on the crank is a lot, but due to the design and physics, it's likely a lot less than we would think on the spool itself and aboviously well under the break strength of the cooking string on the crank.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

I believe the cord is rated at 750 lbs. I don’t think there’s a knot that causes over 50% of loss.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The aniti-reverse being "not silent" is a deal breaker for me. One of the main points was to be able to reload in the field...and quite possibly with deer still in range or just out of range but within sight. That little click click click also travels a long way in a quiet woods. No bueno.

I have the EXT and brackets for both Micros I own. I put it on, load it up then take it off and put the crank and handle in my backpack. So weight is a non-issue for me. Then once settled I just keep it handy.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><