Proflight 16.5 arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bowmore

Proflight 16.5 arrows

Post by bowmore »

Hi, I am a newbie on this forum.

I just bought a box of 6 proflight arrows 16'5 for my Excalibur 360td. These came equipped with the RHINO knocks. I want to use 3 of these arrows to replace the Rhino knock with Lumenok lighted knocks. Does anyone know how to remove the rhino knocks without damaging the arrow and prerare the arrow to receive GTF lumenok insert. ? Thank you
AJ01

Re: Proflight 16.5 arrows

Post by AJ01 »

I don't know if the nocks are glued in or not on the Pro's. If they are not, then simply take a small brass or steel rod, insert it thru the hole in the front insert (where the broadhead screws in) and drive the nock out that way.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Go back to the dealer and trade them in for the factory built Black Eagle Arrows and then just pop the Lumenoks in. It is possible to damage the carbon shaft when you remove the glued in nocks. Some guys heat the nocks a little at a time when pulling on the nocks. You could easily damage the shaft if you overheat. I've read where others have froze them with canned air from the inside and then smacked the nocks. The theory being that the nock shrinks more than the shaft and makes the glue brittle. I'm pretty sure that option number 1 is the best. You'll end up with a heavier brass insert with better FOC and can add additional weight to the back side of the front insert as well.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bowmore

Post by bowmore »

Thank you guys appreciate the feedback
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:44 am
Go back to the dealer and trade them in for the factory built Black Eagle Arrows and then just pop the Lumenoks in. It is possible to damage the carbon shaft when you remove the glued in nocks. Some guys heat the nocks a little at a time when pulling on the nocks. You could easily damage the shaft if you overheat. I've read where others have froze them with canned air from the inside and then smacked the nocks. The theory being that the nock shrinks more than the shaft and makes the glue brittle. I'm pretty sure that option number 1 is the best. You'll end up with a heavier brass insert with better FOC and can add additional weight to the back side of the front insert as well.
X2 on buying factory arrows.

I have removed nocks from a BE excalibur arrow once, and it was a nightmare. They use a much stronger adhesive than Easton ever did and you will most definatly damage the carbon if you apply heat.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
grouse

Post by grouse »

I've removed the factory nocks from quite a few Black Eagle arrows, both Zombies and Executioners. None of them have been glued. The long end of a metal coat hanger works well. Just cut the bottom wire from the hanger and (with no tip installed) pop the nock from the inside a couple of times. They have always come right off for me.
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:28 pm
I've removed the factory nocks from quite a few Black Eagle arrows, both Zombies and Executioners. None of them have been glued. The long end of a metal coat hanger works well. Just cut the bottom wire from the hanger and (with no tip installed) pop the nock from the inside a couple of times. They have always come right off for me.
Factory black eagle or proflight?

BE are plastic friction fit, not glued. Every proflight I've ever handled was most definitely glued.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
grouse

Post by grouse »

janesy wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:09 pm
grouse wrote:

BE are plastic friction fit, not glued. Every proflight I've ever handled was most definitely glued.
I didn't think you were talking about proflights since your post referenced BE Excaliburs, which I assumed were some kind of Black Eagle arrow.
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
grouse wrote:

Chris, it's nice to see someone cleared up that fact on the Pro's. I thought they were like others and just a "push fit" not glued. I've never owned any, so I didn't know for sure.
Perhaps that will clear up some questions for other Forum members.
Nice job!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:23 pm
janesy wrote:
grouse wrote:

I didn't think you were talking about proflights since your post referenced BE Excaliburs, which I assumed were some kind of Black Eagle arrow.
Ya I guess I should have called them proflights, my bad. I called them excaliburs just because they have 4 different arrow configurations, now 8 if you count the rhino nock arrows vs the old standard aluminum flat nock as their own, made by Black Eagle.

Either way, whatever model on black eagle factory excalibur arrow is, in my opinion, not worth removing the nock. It's doable, but not a reliably safe method. Easton, no problem.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:48 am
janesy wrote:
grouse wrote:

Chris, it's nice to see someone cleared up that fact on the Pro's. I thought they were like others and just a "push fit" not glued. I've never owned any, so I didn't know for sure.
Andy I have to admit I have never tried to remove a Rhino nock. But given the job they are engineered to do, I'd be dumbfounded if they could be easily removed. If they were not glued, they would pull out all the time and stay in the trigger box. It would literally turn your crossbow a loaded gun.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:31 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:48 am
janesy wrote:

Andy I have to admit I have never tried to remove a Rhino nock. But given the job they are engineered to do, I'd be dumbfounded if they could be easily removed. If they were not glued, they would pull out all the time and stay in the trigger box. It would literally turn your crossbow a loaded gun.
Good point Chris. I'm sure they are glued and glued very well at that!
Thank you for the input. :thumbup:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Yes, they are certainly glued. I removed the rhino nocks and inserts from the ProFlight arrows that came with my Micro 380 so I could add brass up front and Lumenoks for use on a different bow. I added just enough heat to a field tip to get the glue to budge. It wasn't as hard to do as with some previous arrows I've struggled with, but it could be that I've just had more practice. I agree that the best option would be to NOT remove them because there certainly is the opportunity a mess up a shaft in a number of ways. It's real easy to put a hairline crack in a shaft which could effectively ruin it.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: