Greetings from Spain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PaulSpain

Greetings from Spain

Post by PaulSpain »

Hello. My name is Pablo (Paul for you if it's easier for you) :D

I will tell you a little about my story... Excuse my level of English, I don't have much knowledge of the language.

I am a novice crossbow hunter, approaching 40 years old, who bought a very nice, light and fast compound crossbow, at a reasonable price (I will not say brand) and with less than 50 shots, with 450-500 grain bolts and without dry fires, a splinter came out in one of the extremities.
Here in my country there are very few stores and/or repair shops for archery, much less for crossbows, so imagine my face when I see the splinter... :wtf: :? :( :eusa-naughty:
The guarantee of this brand was made to beg a bit... but at the end of the day In the end, insisting with the supplier, I got them to accept the repair by sending it to Michigan: P (Let's see what happens...) :oops:
It cannot be said that I will sell it if it comes back repaired... :eusa-whistle:

Reading on the internet I came across the virtues and decided to throw the house out the window and buy myself an Assasin 400 TD, and the truth is that I am delighted. :eusa-dance:

Here in my country we have a problem with wild boars, although it is a native animal, lacking natural predators, the population is expanding uncontrollably and I have been "forced" to assume the role of predator, since I have a mountain farm , of 200 acres in organic production of vegetables, fruit trees and livestock and they are doing a lot of damage to my crops and pastures, in addition to eating EVERYTHING, and they are greatly unbalancing the already poor and damaged ecosystem. :eusa-deadhorse:

I am a little frustrated because in the two months that I have been trying to control the population, it has managed to kill three adult wild boars, all with serious injuries, with good traces of blood, but I have not managed to collect any of them, they are very tough, after 40 - 50 feet of trail of blood get into the brambles and that is impenetrable... :eusa-hand:
Although in my country it is not obligatory to take advantage of the game meat, I am very sorry to waste it. :cry:

I am very glad to be in this forum, since reading you seem like authentic people. I have laughed a lot with some comments from some of the forum members here. Good sense of humor and good atmosphere. keep it up... :eusa-clap:

For my part, I will share my experiences whenever I have a moment and something to tell.

A big hello to all.
Assassin 400TD
Hi5

Re: Greetings from Spain

Post by Hi5 »

Welcome. You have a very good writing skills in English! If you don’t mind me asking, where did you go to school?

I look forward to talking about your hunting experiences.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

To the school of my town. A small town of 3500 inhabitants in western Spain.

I didn't go to university if that's what you're asking.
The rest I did in the school of life. :D
Assassin 400TD
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Welcome to the Forum. :thumbup:

I'm from Texas and we act like we ain't never seen a school of any kind!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:07 pm
Welcome to the Forum. :thumbup:

I'm from Texas and we act like we ain't never seen a school of any kind!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Assassin 400TD
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome to the Excalibur forum.

I might suggest using a heavy arrow tipped with a good fixed blade broadhead taking only a broadside shot to enhance recovery in the thick cover where rabbits can easy get through.

You may have to get on your hands and knees to recover one in the dense underbrush the way I see it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Normous wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:51 pm
Welcome to the Excalibur forum.

I might suggest using a heavy arrow tipped with a good fixed blade broadhead taking only a broadside shot to enhance recovery in the thick cover where rabbits can easy get through.

You may have to get on your hands and knees to recover one in the dense underbrush the way I see it.
Thanks for the welcome.

So far I have used Rage trypan on 20 inch arrows, with a total arrow weight of 450 grains.
The penetration has not been all bad, the last wild boar, in which it penetrated the least (rib cage, I don't know if double lung or just one) was about 10 inches of penetration.
The other two wild boars, the blow was also in the ribcage, the arrow went through completely, with good traces.
I didn't like the trypans, they chipped and bent easily.
I have recently bought 4 Sevr Robusto 2.0 that have a good reputation to test.
The problem I have with fixed broadheads is aiming... I can't get groups under 8 inches at 20 yards, and that seems unacceptable to me. I guess the problem is me... With the mechanics I get 2-inch groups at 20 yards and I feel very comfortable.

What type of fixed blade would you recommend for wild boars? and total arrow weight? The maximum distance at which I shoot is 20 yards, sometimes stalking, other times feeding.
Until now in fixed I have only tried Toxic of 100gr. and Maximal Black Razor of 125 gr. Only in practice targets, as I said with bad groupings and total arrow weights with maximum differences of 1 - 2 grains. (spine 400) Around here is the lowest spine I've managed to get.

I rule out going into the brambles... It's very dangerous, and an injured wild boar or a mother with young can kill you while you're in a place like this...

Thanks for the tips.
Assassin 400TD
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Welcome Pablo to the best forum ever. You could try a fixed blade slick trick, those group great. I’ve been to Barcelona and enjoyed it. Are you close to that city?
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Boo

Post by Boo »

Welcome to the forum Paul! I've only killed a few but they all went down within 40 yards or so and the longest was 100 yards. I killed them all with a Vortex which is rated at 330 ft/sec with a 350 grain arrow. I used a G5 Striker Magnum which is a 1 1/2" fixed broadhead. Hit them in the right spot and they don't go far.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Riflemanz wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:20 pm
Welcome Pablo to the best forum ever. You could try a fixed blade slick trick, those group great. I’ve been to Barcelona and enjoyed it. Are you close to that city?
Hello!!
I'll take a look at those slick tricks! Thank you!
I live on the other side of Spain, hahaha, to the west, the Cáceres area, next to Portugal.
Assassin 400TD
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Boo wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 pm
Welcome to the forum Paul! I've only killed a few but they all went down within 40 yards or so and the longest was 100 yards. I killed them all with a Vortex which is rated at 330 ft/sec with a 350 grain arrow. I used a G5 Striker Magnum which is a 1 1/2" fixed broadhead. Hit them in the right spot and they don't go far.
G5!! I'll take a look!! Thank you!!

Which would you say is the correct site? Lung/heart? Over there?
Assassin 400TD
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

mr meat wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:29 pm
Welcome
Gracias!! :D
Assassin 400TD
Boo

Post by Boo »

:mrgreen:
PaulSpain wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:28 pm
Boo wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 pm
G5!! I'll take a look!! Thank you!!

Which would you say is the correct site? Lung/heart? Over there?
I think you’re at the right spot, maybe a bit back but not by much. My point of aim was the arm (leg) pit. All my shots were about 20 yards except for one that was with a 20 gauge slug gun. :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Welcome Pablo, from a hillbilly from Missouri. :eusa-clap:

Dave :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows