Post by AJ01 »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:04 pm
janesy wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:51 pm
So I am isolating, 21 feet in the air.

hey Chris,
how did you get the truckload of carrots in that spot :?: :shock: :wink:
I swear Mr. Warden, they grew there naturally!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Re: Well, I finally got COVID.

Post by janesy »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Hard work, determination and of course, mother nature.
Growing a carrot feed plot is not for the faint of heart. But I don't mind sharing.

All you need are a couple hundred acres, 2 tractors, a harvester, 17 tons of triple 19, an irrigation system, and about 40 hired hands. Or you can live a few minutes from the Holland Marsh and not need any of those things. Here's how we do it.

Step one, buy the carrot seeds. I recommend bringing a small person to make all the carrot seeds fit under the tonneau cover. Or else you have to get up there. This was from a couple year back. Remember, a few seeds go a long way.

Step two

After you find the ATV trailer, pump up the tires, remove the tires, reinstall the tires and fill them with air, because it hasn't moved since last year... place the seedlings in the trailer. Drive to the field.

After you prep the soil, test for PH, turn it over, till it ND remove all the rocks. Dump the seedlings in a pile. Take no cares at this point, you will spread them in a minute.

After the pile is formed, it's important to spread it out so the seedlings can freeze and not turn black and mushy.
This is an important step. The key here is SCENT CONTROL. I recommend going to Costco and buying brand new snow suits for your workers. This was they can get completely covered in carrot juice and control scent all over everything, including all of their school gear, hats mits, backpacks what have you. Don't forget their car seats, your car seats, the seats at McDonald's on the way home, their clothes and then eventually the washing machine. Because it goes everywhere. But so do the deer! :wink:

Then sit back and wait until the next morning and they roll on in.

Last but certainly not least, let them pick a carrot seed to take in their lunch to school, because hey... why not they earned it!

Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

But truthfully as you can see I dont take this spot too seriously, it started as a fun cheap afternoon for a friend of mine and our young kids, we would put the carrots out and then watch the camera to see what showed up. 1100 pounds lasts from October to February if you miss the last warm spell.
We have been doing it for a few years now. Sadly this past January my friend passed away at a young age, so he wasn't with us this year. My son has been coming with me for 4 or 5 years. Usually my daughter would go have a girl day with her Mom. But this year she wanted to come put carrots out. We did the same with a bear barrel this fall too. Keeps the kids entertained and a great start to hunting. If I could find a way to bait bear once instead of weekly I'd be all over that.

The carrot spot sometimes gets hunted, but more often then not its just a spot for Does and Button bucks to hang out. Last year nobody hunted it once. Since I had two days of Covid, I sat over a button for hours on end and learned a bit.
He's still alive, and well fed.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

It's great that the children enjoy these activities and they are delighted, they have a great time, much better than with the playstation and TV.
Assassin 400TD
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Chris my friend, THAT is a GREAT story!! :thumbup:

So sorry to hear about your buddy. But you and the kids will have a lifetime of memories. :angel:
I wish you and yours good success in ALL that you do!
Hope you get over the covid soon!
Take care.
God Bless! :angel:
AJ

BTW.... the smile on that little girl's face.....PRICELESS!!!
Last edited by AJ01 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Too funny! With all things in life if you take it too seriously it becomes work and it kills the enjoyment.. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Would those carrots bring racoons as well to your spot?
janesy

Post by janesy »

Fazan wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:25 am
Would those carrots bring racoons as well to your spot?
Nope.

Carrots seem to be pretty regional. They either love them or let them rot.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

janesy wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:22 am
Deaf jeff wrote:
Hard work, determination and of course, mother nature.
Growing a carrot feed plot is not for the faint of heart. But I don't mind sharing.

All you need are a couple hundred acres, 2 tractors, a harvester, 17 tons of triple 19, an irrigation system, and about 40 hired hands. Or you can live a few minutes from the Holland Marsh and not need any of those things. Here's how we do it.

Step one, buy the carrot seeds. I recommend bringing a small person to make all the carrot seeds fit under the tonneau cover. Or else you have to get up there. This was from a couple year back. Remember, a few seeds go a long way.

Step two

After you find the ATV trailer, pump up the tires, remove the tires, reinstall the tires and fill them with air, because it hasn't moved since last year... place the seedlings in the trailer. Drive to the field.

After you prep the soil, test for PH, turn it over, till it ND remove all the rocks. Dump the seedlings in a pile. Take no cares at this point, you will spread them in a minute.

After the pile is formed, it's important to spread it out so the seedlings can freeze and not turn black and mushy.
This is an important step. The key here is SCENT CONTROL. I recommend going to Costco and buying brand new snow suits for your workers. This was they can get completely covered in carrot juice and control scent all over everything, including all of their school gear, hats mits, backpacks what have you. Don't forget their car seats, your car seats, the seats at McDonald's on the way home, their clothes and then eventually the washing machine. Because it goes everywhere. But so do the deer! :wink:

Then sit back and wait until the next morning and they roll on in.

Last but certainly not least, let them pick a carrot seed to take in their lunch to school, because hey... why not they earned it!

chris,
my post was meant as a joke.
love seeing the kids involved :!: :!:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
janesy

Post by janesy »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:18 pm
chris,
my post was meant as a joke.
love seeing the kids involved :!: :!:
All good, I didn't take it an other way. Had a case of temporary insomnia last night.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme