At the gate...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

At the gate...

Post by AJ01 »

Pulled up to one of the ranches gates the other day and these 2 boys were having a starring contest. The younger one on the right didn't stay put too long. Big Boy sent him packing!! :lol: :lol:

Age and treachery will, overcome youth and skill ... every time!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Re: At the gate...

Post by xcaliber »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:29 pm

Pulled up to one of the ranches gates the other day and these 2 boys were having a starring contest. The younger one on the right didn't stay put too long. Big Boy sent him packing!! :lol: :lol:

Age and treachery will, overcome youth and skill ... every time!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Or so we hope! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here we have a saying:
The Fox knows more for being old than for being a fox.
Assassin 400TD
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:29 pm

That's cool!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

The mature or dominant bucks turn jet black whereas the juniors stay browner.
And you can fence these guys like you would a regular sheep or goat. They won't jump a fence. Dingiest things I've ever seen.
They'll stand on one side of a fence looking at a water hole but won't jump that fence to get to the water.
And they breed year-round.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hey AJ, is there any problems when exotic species escape? Just wondering if any have become a PIA like pigs.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Boo wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:39 am
Hey AJ, is there any problems when exotic species escape? Just wondering if any have become a PIA like pigs.
Good question. :thumbup:
Assassin 400TD
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Actually Boo, in some cases they have. :eusa-think:

In 1958, I think, TPWD brought in a group of Aoudad Sheep from north Africa and turned them loose in the Palo Duro Canyon. Palo is the second largest canyon in the USA. TPWD thought..."No big deal"...
well, the Aoudad not only survived but flourished. They actually took over the habitat of the local Whitetails and Mule deer. 40 Aoudads were initially released. In less that 10 years that number had grown to over 500.
There are now over 30,000 free-range Aoudads in Texas. Not to mention those behind high fence operations.

Here we say they are the "poor man's mountain sheep hunt". However, there is nothing poor about what outfitters charge for a hunt. They run anywhere from about 3-6K for a guided hunt.
I like to hunt them. They are an extreme challenge in the mountains of far west Texas.
Only drawback, you can't eat the blasted things!! Like trying to chew the air bladder in an old football!! :lol: :lol:

They do have a tendency to run deer off feeders. They can be bullies. An adult Ram can weigh over 300 pounds.

We also have a huge population of Indian Antelope known as Nilgai. They were introduced to the King Ranch in 1930. They are now free range over most of the south coastal area of Texas. TPWD says there are bout 37,000 Free Rangers in Texas.
They graze like cattle, and don't seem to bother native game. Bulls can weigh well over 500.

We have Axis and Blackbucks just about everywhere you look. Axis numbers are around 126,000. Blackbucks are about 20-25,000 free range in central Texas.

Plus we have Red Stag, Mouflon and Red Sheep and a host of others that "escaped" from game ranches.
And let's not forget we have about 2.6 MILLION feral hogs destroying the ecosystem.
They wreak havoc on fawn Deer, wild Turkeys, Quail and any other ground nesting birds. They destroy crops, fences, river systems and in some cases like us, your front yard.

We still have about 5 million Whitetail Deer in Texas. Plus, Pronghorns, Mule Deer, Elk, Javelina and Turkey (2 species).

For "exotics" there is no closed season. All you need is a hunting license and landowner permission. And hogs...No license is needed!!
Everything else "in season", set by TPWD.

I've told this before, but TPWD has draw hunts every year for areas that are part of the TPWD wildlife management system. You do NOT have to be a resident to apply. Simply check out TPWD's website for draw hunts.
And in advance....Good Luck!!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

In their home range since the mid 80's these are extinct. In Texas we have around 10,000 or better on just a couple of ranches.
We have actually sent these back overseas just to have them poached out again.
Sad story.

Scimitar-horned Oryx

PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

There is no doubt that the feral hog is one of the worst pests that can exist.
Here as soon as we see one, it lasts a short time alive. We know what the risk is...
Although in some of the northern areas of Spain the crosses of wild boar with Vietnamese pig are becoming very widespread.

An example of Spanish environmental crap was the introduction of smallmouth bass and bleak, between the two they are destroying Spanish aquaculture biotopes.
Assassin 400TD
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:43 pm
In their home range since the mid 80's these are extinct. In Texas we have around 10,000 or better on just a couple of ranches.
We have actually sent these back overseas just to have them poached out again.
Sad story.

Scimitar-horned Oryx

You are very wise grasshopper :eusa-clap:

Dave :eusa-popcorn:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Once again, he is yours truly with a Doe Barasignha.

Barasingha Buck

But these are the guys I'd really like to go hunt. Maybe one day I will.
These are Iranian Red Sheep.

I know, I like Sheep!!

Of course, I like these too!!

One corner of my so-called office. :lol: :lol:
Did I mention I fish too!!! :mrgreen:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

And Dave...
Not wise at all, just lucky enough to have NOT grownup yet.
My wife says I'm just like a kid.
I tell her "Thank You" for noticing!! :mrgreen:
Boo

Post by Boo »

It looks like hunting exotic species could get expensive but I bet taxidermists do well!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:42 am
It looks like hunting exotic species could get expensive but I bet taxidermists do well!
Very much so!!! And yes, they do!!! :lol: :lol: