Food plotting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Food plotting

Post by Boo »

I know many of you guys don't put down food plots and some actually cannot for various reasons. But for those who can and don't, check out my kill plot. It is a semi circle that has a 40 yard radius. I sprayed the plot with Roundup twice through the year, fertilized, loosened the top of the soil a bit, planted and rolled the radish and forage kale in. Planting was in the second week of Aug just before a couple of days rain. The deer have taken all the top foliage. They are digging out and pulling the radishes. I also have corn out and they eat much more of the brassicas than they do corn by far. A deer may spend a minute or 2 in the corn but 20 minutes or more in the brassicas. The seeds need direct and good contact with the soil and it is super easy to grow. The picture with the little buck is before they beat up the brassicas. The radishes will not survive any real browsing but if the kale isn't pulled out, it will regrow in the spring. Both will sprout new leaves if it gets a few above freezing days. Does and bucks are at the brassicas now and have been for a couple of weeks. I have 5 does and 5 bucks visiting but mostly nocturnal right now. We need more cold and some snow. I get up to 9 does when the conditions are right. That last picture is a deer I let pass (he isn't as nice as he seems in the picture) but by the end of Dec, he might not get a pass. I have only one tag and I want one of 2 others.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Deaf jeff

Re: Food plotting

Post by Deaf jeff »

WQOW DON,
cannot believe you still have tops left, my brasica the tops are always gone before a good hard freeze sets in and that usually happens before october 1st! i have some corn still standing but cobs have been gone for awhile now. yesterday afternoon i watched a doe at 40 yards actually eating the dead stalk leaves :shock: , have never seen that before. which brasica seed do you use :?:
nice bucks
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:20 am
WQOW DON,
cannot believe you still have tops left, my brasica the tops are always gone before a good hard freeze sets in and that usually happens before october 1st! i have some corn still standing but cobs have been gone for awhile now. yesterday afternoon i watched a doe at 40 yards actually eating the dead stalk leaves :shock: , have never seen that before. which brasica seed do you use :?:
nice bucks
All the tops are gone. They are working on mostly the kaIe and the small lower leaves of the radish. When the snow comes, more deer arrive and it will all be eaten down even faster. I am using Dikon (radish) and forage kale in the kill plot. Both are suitable for human consumption. The kale is used for cattle. Next year I may plant switch grass and chicory in the food plot and maybe brassicas again in the kill plot.
What are you planting?
janesy

Post by janesy »

Following this post. I have a the worst green thumb ever. I'm always intrigued to hear how the successful guys do it.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

janesy wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:10 am
Following this post. I have a the worst green thumb ever. I'm always intrigued to hear how the successful guys do it.
You would be surprised how easy brassicas are successfully grown. Just a bit of planning, sunlight, a bit of fertilizer and really, not much in the way of seeds. Under all that you see planted, it is like beach sand, very unproductive soil. In the spring, I plant seeds for soil building and nuke it the first of August. I buy radishes and forage kale by the 50 lb bag so I can easily give you enough for a good sized plot. I've only ever planted chicory here behind my house and it was hard to get rid of. So for a food plot, chicory may be good in that I may not have to plant it again.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Good luck!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Boo wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:29 am
Deaf jeff wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:20 am
WQOW DON,
nice bucks
All the tops are gone. They are working on mostly the kaIe and the small lower leaves of the radish. When the snow comes, more deer arrive and it will all be eaten down even faster. I am using Dikon (radish) and forage kale in the kill plot. Both are suitable for human consumption. The kale is used for cattle. Next year I may plant switch grass and chicory in the food plot and maybe brassicas again in the kill plot.
What are you planting?
tried a couple of new mixes this year from five 2 outdoors....
FIVE 2 OUTDOORS Lot’s O’ leaf Seed Blend of Canola, Ethiopian Cabbage, Hunter Forage Brassica, Barkant Turnips and Winfred Brassica,....FIVE 2 OUTDOORS Just Bulb's has different bulbs...Barkant Turnips,Purple Top Turnip,Rutabaga,Trophy Radishes. my usual brasica is whitetail institute blends and "sweet feast blend" that is from northwoods whitetails in upper michigan
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife