Ceasefire issue

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Ceasefire issue

Post by DuckHunt »

I went outside with my Micro 380 to test out some heavier arrows. I set up a target at 40 yards and proceeded to shoot one of my typical arrows to confirm the zero. Everything worked as expected with an arrow on target.

My goal was to determine just how much more drop I would see at 40 yards with the added weight. When I attempted to cock the crossbow the second time, it wouldn't latch onto the string. So I let the string down and took a look. For some reason, the latches ended in the latched position after the shot. I've never seen that happen before. It took a minute, but I finally figured out that I had to push down on a catch behind the latches before it would let me pull the trigger to release the latches. I lightly pressed down on the metal catch and was able to release the latches to their normal position.

I grabbed my cocking rope, and it cocked and latched as expected. I seated one of the heavier arrows then proceeded to send it downrange. Issue: The crossbow won't fire. With the safety off, pulling the trigger doesn't release the arrow.

Unfortunately, that also means I can't unload the limbs either. I removed the arrow and tried to uncock the bow using the decocking tool, but it simply will not fire.
Here is a picture of the safety off and trigger pulled.
This is quite a predicament.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
AJ01

Re: Ceasefire issue

Post by AJ01 »

Well...not one to rub salt in an open wound, but I believe that unit is called a "cease-fire"?? :lol: :lol:

Had to say that! Perhaps a spring that works in conjunction with the safety has broken.
Probably a 2-person job to lower the limbs.
I'd try locking the bow is a vise. Remove the arrow and use a crank to take pressure off the limbs. Once that is done, I'd try to disengage/engage the lever that works the cease fire to make it basically fire, if that is possible.
Perhaps then you can lower te limbs and then find out what the heck is going on.

Also be nice to see if anyone else has had this issue.
Jeff, as far as I know, you're the first.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

DH

I got out of a similar situation once by using a C2 crank and stringing aid to relieve the pressure from the string and removing it and then very carefully letting the C2 down to take the pressure off the limbs but not sure how much would be involved with a ceasefire.
Hope this helps but besides anything else BE CAREFUL!!! :eusa-pray:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:36 pm
...I believe that unit is called a "cease-fire"?? :lol: :lol:
:lol: That thought did cross my mind.

Crisis averted. Well, the scary part anyway. After a bit of pondering it hit me. Duh, use a Charger. Just use the stringing aid with the Charger to destring it and lower the limbs. Not possible. The stringing aid is only pulled back on unstrung limbs. The string prevents you from using it to let a cocked bow down. Well, safely anyway.

But I was able to use the Charger to get the job done. I tightened up the crank to take the stress off of the latches, then turned a bit more and it acted as if it "cocked" the trigger. Then with the decocking tool and crank, I was able to pull the trigger and lower the string. At first I wondered if it were possible to "cock/lock the latches" without pulling back far enough to "cock the trigger", because that appeared to be my situation at first.

From what little diagnosis I can do, there is certainly a failure. At first glance, the latches aren't up out of the way like they normally are after a shot. They're hanging down some, which is likely why I pulled the string into the back of the latches, latching them when I tried to cock it after my first shot.
And if you're really observant, you can see the issue. The front pin on the Ceasefire is sticking out some on the right side. I'm guessing that is supposed to be flush like the rest. This angled view might help.
I pulled on the pin and it is loose. Here I have pulled it out and laid it on the bow.
The pin appears to have sheared/broken. It's a bit surprising to me, because I wouldn't expect this part to bear any striking or hitting forces that would cause a break. It holds weight, but the weight is loaded slowly. Maybe the violent release and direction of the release force hits in angles we don't realize.

In any event, it's RMA time.
Last edited by DuckHunt on Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Tricky situation!!
I would be with pants full of...
Good luck with it, sorry I can't help you.
It certainly seems like an internal mechanism failure as AJ says.
AJ01 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:36 pm
Well...not one to rub salt in an open wound, but I believe that unit is called a "cease-fire"?? :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
(Sorry duckhunt)
Another name occurs to me...
Micro animalist 380
Assassin 400TD
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Uff, well, at least you've solved the most worrying thing. :eusa-clap:

Look at it on the bright side, you can now take the TD for a walk. :P
Assassin 400TD
Boo