Time is running out!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Time is running out!

Post by Boo »

This year has been a tad frustrating. If it wasn't the temps, it was the lack of snow and bad wind direction. A couple of days ago, the wind betrayed me and a spike and a shooter winded me. Same day 2 really good bucks stood 100 yards away staring and eventually turn around a walk away. For the next couple of days the wind is not perfect but not completely bad. Saturday is our last day and a day when the wind is perfect! Going to hunt morning to evening on Saturday and maybe Friday. There is a good number of bucks coming to the kill plot during daylight. One smaller buck has shed it's antler already. I'm down to the wire! Good thing this is all fun and games. I like deer meat and I still have some from last year but for some reason I'm patiently waiting. :wtf:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Re: Time is running out!

Post by AJ01 »

That's some pretty nice Bucks there Mr. Boo!! :thumbup:

I went yesterday (12/27), but didn't see anything, but then again, I don't need anything to fill my freezer! It's pretty full already!! :lol: :lol:

I wish you loads of luck!! That feller in the 1st pic would be my choice if I had the chance!!
I just like 'em with a little trash on their head!! :mrgreen:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Don, my friends hunting North of you report bucks dropping antlers left and right.

One witnessed two shooter bucks sparring at the bait pile giving the hunters quite a laugh.

Both big bucks locked antlers and pushed/ pulled hard knocking all 4 antlers to the ground in an instant.

Both freaked out looking at each other missing antlers and ran off in different directions.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Best of Luck Don!

Sometimes the luck comes in at the last minute...

Stick & Stay Buddy!!

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Good luck Don!

Still plenty of time... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I feel your frustration Don! Those are some nice bucks. Time to stick it out till the end and get one of those down! Best of luck!
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

I went out this afternoon. With 10 minute of legal light remaining, in comes a doe, a spike and next year's shooter. :D So I let them eat and was going to leave without educating them. Just as they leave, a hoard comes in :wtf: A total of 10 and one was my target buck! It's well past legal light so I thought I'd sit and watch. After 45 minutes I realize I'm being victimized and held captive. :shock: They are anywhere between 30 and 45 yards. So I throw out my hand warmer packs at them. Nope! They don't pay attention, just wandering around the kill plot eating corn and pawing for brassicas. I stomp my feet on the plywood floor. Still ignoring me. I yell "hey". Nope, nothing. So I stick my head out and blowing air until I hyperventilate trying to get lots of scent out. They start looking around and I smack a wall. They they slooooowly walk away. A little frustrating but it's interesting to study their movements. Tomorrow I think I'll go out with toboggan and a couple of bags or corn and maybe hunt or maybe not. I have lots of time, 3 more days.
There may have been more than 10. Part of a tree branch is hanging over the front of my box blind and I can't open that window so I can only see half of my kill plot.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You got some fine Shooters their Boo I hope you get to harvest one best of luck to you.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Can’t kill ‘em if you are on the couch.( well you might) Some nice bucks! Love watching them when they don’t know you are there.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Best of Luck Don !
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Good luck next time!! With patience in the end you will hunt a good one. :thumbup:
Assassin 400TD
grouse

Post by grouse »

They always come out late. I've been stuck in one of my stands after shooting hours many times, afraid to educate them about where the stand is, but anxious to get down and go back and have dinner. It's actually a good problem because, with that many deer, one will eventually wander by during shooting hours. I'm no trophy hunter and I would proudly shoot one of those does.

Good luck!
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Earlier in the woods that day ....

Okay, here's the plan... :think:

The Big Guy says, "Ralph, (next year's shooter), you put on that hair covered Kevlar vest Jane got you for Christmas. I want you to wear it just in case the pressure gets to him.
He won't be able to see you're wearing it. He's old, and it'll be fading light. Just don't get too close!
Jane, you and Spiky go out there to add to the distraction.
Got it?"

"Yeah, we got it!"

"Okay, the rest of us will hit the field at exactly 5 minutes AFTER legal shooting light!
He'll be thinking he'll just sneak out and go home, like he always does.

Not this time!! :eusa-snooty:

NOPE, this time we are gonna make him wait on US. No more of this "blowing and running" like we always do. :eusa-naughty:
We stand our ground!! :x
These are our woods and he's the interloper!!
We'll teach him a lesson!! Right!!

"RIGHT"!! :thumbup:

We'll see how long it takes before he melts down and starts throwing his personal gear out the window!!!

Okay. Everyone knows their assignment. No matter what he does... IGNORE him!! It'll drive him crazy!!

Alright. Let's roll!!! :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:53 am
Earlier in the woods that day ....

Okay, here's the plan... :think:

The Big Guy says, "Ralph, (next year's shooter), you put on that hair covered Kevlar vest Jane got you for Christmas. I want you to wear it just in case the pressure gets to him.
He won't be able to see you're wearing it. He's old, and it'll be fading light. Just don't get too close!
Jane, you and Spiky go out there to add to the distraction.
Got it?"

"Yeah, we got it!"

"Okay, the rest of us will hit the field at exactly 5 minutes AFTER legal shooting light!
He'll be thinking he'll just sneak out and go home, like he always does.

Not this time!! :eusa-snooty:

NOPE, this time we are gonna make him wait on US. No more of this "blowing and running" like we always do. :eusa-naughty:
We stand our ground!! :x
These are our woods and he's the interloper!!
We'll teach him a lesson!! Right!!

"RIGHT"!! :thumbup:

We'll see how long it takes before he melts down and starts throwing his personal gear out the window!!!

Okay. Everyone knows their assignment. No matter what he does... IGNORE him!! It'll drive him crazy!!

Alright. Let's roll!!! :lol:
Thats what i call a
Hold my beer and watch this moment. :eusa-popcorn:

Dave :mrgreen:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it