CROSSBOW BACKPACK

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JUSTANUFF

CROSSBOW BACKPACK

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I am considering obtaining one of these. ( New or used) Looking for feed back from whomever employs one of these in their arsenal along with recommendations. Amazon has one made by ALPS Outdoors called the Matrix.Looks like a pretty good buy at $80.00.
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
janesy

Re: CROSSBOW BACKPACK

Post by janesy »

JUSTANUFF wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:10 pm
I am considering obtaining one of these. ( New or used) Looking for feed back from whomever employs one of these in their arsenal along with recommendations. Amazon has one made by ALPS Outdoors called the Matrix.Looks like a pretty good buy at $80.00.
I can't give you feedback about that specific model. However I did have an ALPZ pack that I used for two moose seasons on a paddle in hunt.

ALPZ gear is by no means super tough or rugged but it is well designed and does the job, depending on what you ask of it. I sold that pack off after the second season for a couple reasons. Mostly the two below. Packs are expensive in Canada and ALPS is still not cheap.

1) weight. ALPZ gear is simply heavy, and it adds up. For instance that pack is 4.5 pounds, and it's not big, nor does it have any structure to it.
2) the buckles were constantly slipping. It would never stay tight anywhere. I lost a bunch of weight after the first season, and it got way worse. I found I was always walking holding onto the shoulder tag ends and hiking them up all the time.
3) venting, it doesn't have any.

If you are just looking to walk into a treestand it'll probably be fine. But my recommendation would be to buy from a company with a solid return policy and load it up when you get it and dance around your living room for a while before you commit to a hike somewhere.

Full disclosure, altho this hunting location is rugged canadian shield and swamp covering, covering 15-20km per day. It was far, far from a serious hunt. But I gave the ALPS a failing grade after the 10th day. BUT, to walk into one of my tree stands on a farm, it would be great.

Altho I just went the opposite size wise with a Badlands Scout pack for that exact thing. Tired of carrying everything.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

janesy wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:45 pm
2) the buckles were constantly slipping. It would never stay tight anywhere. I lost a bunch of weight after the first season, and it got way worse. I found I was always walking holding onto the shoulder tag ends and hiking them up all the time.
I suppose you already know, but just in case you don't...
I fix that by sewing the fabric strips next to the plastic buckle, with a few stitches it doesn't move anymore.
If you don't want to sew it, you can tie it and it doesn't move.
Assassin 400TD
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The last 2 years l have gone with the catquiver and eliminated my bow mount quiver .
I thought about the back pack but when I'm walking to or from stand l want access to my bow fast.
Many times l was able to stumble upon a buck and get a shot...especially during the rut when they are stupid.
It's a real pia digging for your bow on your back in that kind of situation that's what keeps me from buying one.
Last edited by longbow joe on Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/5HJRnVt7]Image
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

PaulSpain wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:30 am
janesy wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:45 pm
I suppose you already know, but just in case you don't...
I fix that by sewing the fabric strips next to the plastic buckle, with a few stitches it doesn't move anymore.
If you don't want to sew it, you can tie it and it doesn't move.
Very true, the problem could be solved pretty easily.
For me, I need my pack to work through 4 very different seasons, so I need the adjustability to fit over a t shirt or a parka and bibs. I don't know whether the problem was the strap or the buckle style. But regardless I had three separate units together as one, pack, shoulder harness and bino pack, and they all did the same thing.

Thinking back on what I paid for it tho, I'd say it was worth the money, just not the hassle for an all day pack. Would sum it up nicely.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

janesy wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:47 am

Very true, the problem could be solved pretty easily.
For me, I need my pack to work through 4 very different seasons, so I need the adjustability to fit over a t shirt or a parka and bibs. I don't know whether the problem was the strap or the buckle style. But regardless I had three separate units together as one, pack, shoulder harness and bino pack, and they all did the same thing.

Thinking back on what I paid for it tho, I'd say it was worth the money, just not the hassle for an all day pack. Would sum it up nicely.
I never liked plastic buckles, sooner or later they end up slipping. :eusa-deadhorse:
I prefer metallic ones for a little more cost and they are for life.
Assassin 400TD
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Thanks guys for your feedback,,it helps!

And,,Joe,,that's a beautiful wide limber you have!
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string