Is This the First or Last......YES

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Is This the First or Last......YES

Post by nchunterkw »

A week ago it was 10F down here in the south. Froze all the shallow spots I duck hunt and was just generally miserable. But this week...it's been in the 60s the past 3 or 4 days. No complaints I'll take it. Makes sitting for deer much more pleasurable and the lakes a bit easier to wade in.

Sunday was the next to last day of deer season here in NC, and even though none of my buddies could join, I decided to make one last sit. The deer have been pretty darn nocturnal as they always are after the time change, but we did see a few by one of the stands 2 or 3 weeks ago...right at dark. My young newbie was in the stand and got busted as there are no more leaves on the trees. So I decided to hunt near that stand but with my full on stringed ghillie suit. I planned to sit in the pines and shoot out into the hardwoods. Well, when I got there the wind was not in my favor for that so I walked around a bit trying to find where the deer were coming out and where to hide. I finally settled on hiding behind a large tree near a new-ish blowdown. If the deer came up the edge of the pines they would be 10 yards away, but it was really my only option. I finally got settled around 4:00PM. Sunset was 5:07PM. My spot was near the pines and on top of a little area with a small hollow of sorts behind me. Deer could be down there and I wouldn't be able to see them, but I thought that unlikely. The ground wasn't wet like it had just rained, but it was pretty damp and soft. Pretty quiet to walk on even though there were plenty of leaves down. So I was a little surprised that at around 4:30 I thought I head deer-like footsteps behind my towards that hollow. First I was surprised I heard anything because I am pretty deaf ( :lol: ) but secondly because of the conditions. I didn't move for awhile but finally turned my head enough to check. Nothing. Had to be a squirrel, but it sure didn't sound like one. Nothing more came of it, but then around 5:00PM I saw the smallest movement to my right. Right on the pine edge. Ears and legs. Awesome! They are in some brush and there is a 4" diameter log about 2 feet off the ground, parallel. They are behind that. I think 2 or 3. Can't be sure but they are RIGHT THERE! 10 yards! They are at about my 2 o'clock and I need them to get to my 12 before they are clear of the brush. One is heading that way. I slowly move my hand to get the safe off. The trailing doe must have seen that. She starts the head bobbing and stomping, but can't peg me. I have my leafy head piece on with the ghillie suit top on, and the pants just kind of draped over my legs. I'm also half behind the tree to her and she has that log in the way. Standoff. The other deer moves into the open, sees me and her and decides to walk back towards the brush...then moves off into the pines. Still 2 there. One eating in the brush and one stomping. I don't move a muscle. I even try to close my eyes half way. #3 wanders back into the picture (or it's #4. I can't tell for sure. But nobody is moving to my 12 o clock. After what seemed like 10 minutes, her stomping is getting less and less enthusiastic and she is starting to "feed". Still checking me out , but calmer. #3 is still back but #2 is close to clearing. Then turns the other way then turns back the "right" way, then just stands there eating. Finally Miss Stompy Stomp starts moving towards my 12. I get on the scope and try to twist a bit to my right. I figure she will bump #2 into an open shot but nope....it's her. She barely clears the brush. She's pretty broadside, but the front is turned towards me. She is staring me down so I figure this is it. I aim lower 3rd, right in front of the shoulder. BANG! Awesome hit. She takes off and I think I heard a crash, but she ran in the pines where all the pine needles have that feeling like a carpet. Arrow is right behind where she was. I peel off my ghillie stuff and walk over. Arrow is good. I look where she was and I have 2 great spots of lots of blood. VPA 200gr 1 1/4" 3 blade. My new go to. I go pack up, get my knives, gloves, headlamp and drag and start the search. The trail is good for 7-8 yards then I only have a small drop on a leaf. It's not real dark yet to I turn off my headlamp and do a quick search 35yards out in the direction I thought she ran. Nothing. OK, go back to the last spot and look better dummy. Ahh. That little spot was from her right side and the edge of the trail. There is more blood left of it, going right through 2 trees that are 12" apart. Well, that's a good sign. She's just running flat out. Death run. Can't be far. Tracking in pine needles is a pain. But my trail was good and beelining right for a big bunch of nasty thorns and briars. Yep. Death run. But really...into that crap? I track her straight into it and then on the other side there she is in a small depression. I must have walked within 10 yards of here earlier. Anyway, all good. My tracker says she went about 40 yards. A quick field dressing, and a short drag and I'm on my way home.

So was she the last of 2022 or first of 2023? Yep.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Re: Is This the First or Last......YES

Post by Boo »

Congratulations Keith!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

Better than sitting on the couch any day. HNY Keith!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Nice shooting Kieth. You stacked 'em up this year/last year.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

WTG Keith. Great read....

My last bow hunt was on Nov 02nd. Then life and home renovations consumed my free time!! Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Got to love it when it all comes together!!

Congrats! :thumbup:
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Don't ya just love shooting one of those old Nanny Goats that stomp and blow at everything!! :lol: :lol:
Makes my day!!

Good Job Keith!! :thumbup:
Enjoy the harvest!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Nice job! When you're on the ground and your quarry is that close it can be pretty exhilarating!
axiom
350 SE
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Wow - Nice!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:51 pm
Don't ya just love shooting one of those old Nanny Goats that stomp and blow at everything!! :lol: :lol:
Makes my day!!

Good Job Keith!! :thumbup:
Enjoy the harvest!
I have always called those the”Old Bi-ch” does. Seems like there is one in most groups of does/fawns. Great to get one.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Congrats! You bagged the ultimate deer. I'd gladly stick a smart ole doe over an average buck any day. And if it blows, it's public enemy #1. Great job.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Nice adventure.
Thanks for sharing.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Assassin 400TD
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Nice hunt and harvest Keith great post!
Congratulations on the harvest nothing like a ground shot to make you feel like a hunter.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Congratulations Keith great year
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.