Assassin 400Extreme vs Suppressor 400TD

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Assassin 400Extreme vs Suppressor 400TD

Post by janesy »

I've had a few people ask for comparisons back to back on the Assassin 400EX vs the Supressor 400TD.

It's too cold for a back to back shooting comparison today and you can get the specs anywhere, so here are some details to give potential buys some of the details that you don't read about.

First off here's some Crossbow P*rn to see them playing nice together. Note, the Assassin wears the Bigfoot stirrup and is therefore a little longer. The overall length of the Suppressor vs the Assassin is 31.5" vs 32.25" respectfully, including the stirrup. They are essentially the same size. Weight bare is 6.6LB and 7.4LB.

There are a couple details that set the two apart aside from the obvious. First notable difference is the location of the cranks themselves. Altho the bows are under the same pressure, the location of the cranks, and the size of the cranks makes cranking them feel different. The taller location of the Supressors cranks makes the cranking effort seem less. However the lower location of the Assassin's crank makes decocking much more controlled. Since the crank is located mid stock, it doesn't feel the need to jerk around at the top as much.

Specs here are deceiving, the Assassin measure 13.75" Length of Pull, and the Suppressor 14.75".

One notable difference will most definatly be serving wear. This one goes to all Assassin's, and the latch is never lifted on decocking. So the string is released from the latch under zero pressure. Where as the Suppressor's serving does get a little abused from the decocking under full pressure.

Another very nice touch is the slight angle machined into the riser for the Stirrup. This makes a huge difference, and has been a mod performed on these bows for decades. Nice to see excal listening. Altho, not perfect, it's a really nice touch. This pic is not aligned, but from the bottom of the rail to the stirrup is greater than it appears. This really helps to get the stirrup back under the boot. Something all rope cock bows should get from factory.

I'll post more, as I play more. But my impression of the two is the Suppressor is the full blood hunting machine. The Assassin is just as deadly, but more user friendly and refined.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Ontario Savage

Re: Assassin 400Extreme vs Suppressor 400TD

Post by Ontario Savage »

Awesome write up and post! Thx for sharing
Very impressed with the 2 new bows excal has brought to market this year..
janesy

Post by janesy »

Ontario Savage wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:04 pm
Awesome write up and post! Thx for sharing
Very impressed with the 2 new bows excal has brought to market this year..
Thanks, Carnivorous and I were given a solid once over on the changes that have been happening over the past couple years at Excal.
It's safe to say that this year's release, specifically the Micro Extreme is possibly the best Micro ever offered, as far as testing, abuse and performance is concerned.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Here's a couple pics of the stocks, adjustable vs fixed, and the new riser for those who wish to see them.

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Thanks for the pics!

Well done Excal
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Great post and pictures !
Great comparison info.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Man, I'm almost thinking cut right there with a little bit of curvature, do some sanding, and bingo....short LOP. That or 3D print a new one.

adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
janesy

Post by janesy »

wheelsquad wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:28 pm
Man, I'm almost thinking cut right there with a little bit of curvature, do some sanding, and bingo....short LOP. That or 3D print a new one.

I can't I.agine it would be all that hard to do. I had that piece off a couple nights ago. It's one piece, hollow plastic
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

New bow, new target, what's not to like :angel:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Normous wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:09 pm
New bow, new target, what's not to like :angel:
the limbs color :P :lol: :lol:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

If the assassin gets rained on, what is the best way to prevent rust and other problems
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
janesy

Post by janesy »

mchurch wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:16 pm
If the assassin gets rained on, what is the best way to prevent rust and other problems
I can't see it being any different than any other bow.

But I typically leave them over a floor register for a night. That's about it.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Had a window today to sling some pointed sticks down range. This Vortex Venom 3moa came fresh off a shotgun so it was all over the map sighting it in until I figured out the adjustment calibration. I wish it's had an audible click, But whatever. This is a hunted setup max range 30yard, most likely 15-18 so it's perfect against black fur.

I sighted in with a factory arrow and then turned the target for some fresh shots with my hunting arrows. The hunting arrows are in the white circle. Pretty good for a dot that covers a good inch at 20y, off hand. All the shots are well under the dot. Accuracy was not a concern for me, more just dailing it in for hunting. Accuracy is all but guaranteed with excal, this bow is no exception.

The A400EX is a real pleasure to shoot for a beast of a Micro. Minimal vibrations, zero effort to cock with the crank. It's very intuitive to use and simple, compared to the Suppressor and removable charger. Which is not hard, but the built in charger is nicer. It does however seem louder than the suppressor, both have no sound deadening rubber at all. Which I'm going to refer to as "sport mode" from now on.

One real nice touch is the new location for the crank handle, without a doubt, much better spot.

After I pack every thing up I always like to take one quick off hand shot to simulate a hunting shot. It's easy to fall into a rhythm when sighting in, but you can't expect those to be there when your frozen in a tree for 4 hours. So I like a cold shot to confirm everything.

This was the Assassin 400EX cold shot. Dear Bear!

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

The integrated crank is amazing!!
Loading the crossbow without getting up from the seat is a first-class luxury.
I love my assassin!! It's worth every penny I spend on it.
For hunting while waiting and long shooting sessions, it has no rival.

A question Jan. Are the limbs of that Assasin Extreme the same as the 400TD?

The lever storage area is cool. In a better position than the 400TD... There it bothers less in hunting action, since in long shooting sessions I leave it on the table "by hand" so as not to be taking it out and putting it in constantly.
Does the lever have the storage hooks on both sides of the crossbow like the 400TD?

I like the idea of cold shooting!! Good shoot!!
Assassin 400TD
janesy

Post by janesy »

PaulSpain wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:53 pm
The integrated crank is amazing!!
Loading the crossbow without getting up from the seat is a first-class luxury.
I love my assassin!! It's worth every penny I spend on it.
For hunting while waiting and long shooting sessions, it has no rival.

A question Jan. Are the limbs of that Assasin Extreme the same as the 400TD?

The lever storage area is cool. In a better position than the 400TD... There it bothers less in hunting action, since in long shooting sessions I leave it on the table "by hand" so as not to be taking it out and putting it in constantly.
Does the lever have the storage hooks on both sides of the crossbow like the 400TD?

I like the idea of cold shooting!! Good shoot!!
Yes sir, the limbs are the same. The stock does have pockets on both sides to store the crank handle.

I can't take credit for the "cold shot" it's a rifle hunting thing. Plenty of guys take three or four shots preseason and call the gun good, but neglect to shoot on a cold dirty barrel to see where the one shot will actually go when the time comes to use it.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme