I lost my knife

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

Re: I lost my knife

Post by Carnivorous »

Wow!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Yes Sir Mr. Don, I do believe he would be at the top of my list for things needing done in 2023!!!
I'm like Matt, I wanna see your grinning face sitting next to him come this next season!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:52 pm

Don, a friend hunts in Kansas. Up there they don’t mess with all the feeders and timers and such. They buy a ton from the feed store in bulk and tell the feed store where yo dump it.😳 Not kidding. He said bulk by the ton is much cheaper up there where they grow lots of it and no bag mess, no batteries, etc.
:shock:
The strange thing is that they don't kill animals with indigestion from so much grain. :wtf:
We lose our heads sometimes... :crazy:
Assassin 400TD
Boo

Post by Boo »

PaulSpain wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:49 pm
flightattendant100 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:52 pm

Don, a friend hunts in Kansas. Up there they don’t mess with all the feeders and timers and such. They buy a ton from the feed store in bulk and tell the feed store where yo dump it.😳 Not kidding. He said bulk by the ton is much cheaper up there where they grow lots of it and no bag mess, no batteries, etc.
:shock:
The strange thing is that they don't kill animals with indigestion from so much grain. :wtf:
We lose our heads sometimes... :crazy:
I watch them at the corn pile and they spend maybe 30 seconds eating and judging from what gets eaten, they don't each much. I would imagine if I started giving them corn in late winter the would get bloat and or diarrhea leading to dehydration and death. As long as they don't suddenly get and eat a lot of high carbohydrates quickly, they don't suffer. When it is cold and snow, they are very hungry and if you put down corn or even apples late in the season when they are desperate for food, they will eat enough to possibly kill them. I check my kill plot for piles of sloppy deer poop just to be sure. But I start feeding them end of September or beginning of October and keep feeding them until I run out of corn (60 bags). If you pay attention, in the spring, you will see poop pies. That means they are getting a lot of a different diet from spring growth. I think it takes a week or 2 for their stomachs to adjust.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Imagine if deer ate bacon?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Awesome find Don!

Is it the buck shown in the top pic here: https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=73766
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Boo wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:03 pm

I watch them at the corn pile and they spend maybe 30 seconds eating and judging from what gets eaten, they don't each much. I would imagine if I started giving them corn in late winter the would get bloat and or diarrhea leading to dehydration and death. As long as they don't suddenly get and eat a lot of high carbohydrates quickly, they don't suffer. When it is cold and snow, they are very hungry and if you put down corn or even apples late in the season when they are desperate for food, they will eat enough to possibly kill them. I check my kill plot for piles of sloppy deer poop just to be sure. But I start feeding them end of September or beginning of October and keep feeding them until I run out of corn (60 bags). If you pay attention, in the spring, you will see poop pies. That means they are getting a lot of a different diet from spring growth. I think it takes a week or 2 for their stomachs to adjust.
My experience with cattle (sheep and cows) tells me that the grain must be dosed, they don't know how to do it, especially the youngest and inexperienced animals. And even once they "learn" to eat it and their stomach supports it, you have to be careful with the doses.
I don't know how deer work, but I guess it's similar since they are also ruminants.

Done like this I respect it, either to attract or to feed, but throwing a ton in the field... I don't know, it doesn't enter my brain
Assassin 400TD
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

janesy wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:23 pm
Well, they wouldn't eat the grain then!!

Instead they would use it to make flour, to make bread, to make sandwiches and to eat the bacon more pleasantly. Certain?

And crossbows would be bought to harvest flying bacon!! :mrgreen:
Assassin 400TD
Boo

Post by Boo »

wheelsquad wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:30 pm
Awesome find Don!

Is it the buck shown in the top pic here: https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=73766
Good eyes Tyler! Yes, I believe you are correct! :thumbup:
Boo

Post by Boo »

PaulSpain wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:10 am
Boo wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:03 pm

My experience with cattle (sheep and cows) tells me that the grain must be dosed, they don't know how to do it, especially the youngest and inexperienced animals. And even once they "learn" to eat it and their stomach supports it, you have to be careful with the doses.
I don't know how deer work, but I guess it's similar since they are also ruminants.

Done like this I respect it, either to attract or to feed, but throwing a ton in the field... I don't know, it doesn't enter my brain
One of the advantages of putting down corn a few bags at a time is that the deer will associate the corn with the noise you make and the scent you leave behind. If I thought it would be of benefit, I would put down all 60 bags at once. A problem with putting down all the corn at once is that bears come on occasion and sit on the pile and eat and they eat enormous amounts of corn in one sitting. I bet they puke corn as they walk :roll:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:05 am
wheelsquad wrote:
Awesome find Don!

I'll second that. Nice catch Tyler!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

AJ01 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:35 am
Boo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:05 am
wheelsquad wrote:
Awesome find Don!

I'll second that. Nice catch Tyler!! :thumbup:

Yep :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

PaulSpain wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:24 am
janesy wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:23 pm
Well, they wouldn't eat the grain then!!

Instead they would use it to make flour, to make bread, to make sandwiches and to eat the bacon more pleasantly. Certain?

And crossbows would be bought to harvest flying bacon!! :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

We have a place out in west Texas, the other side of San Angelo. Nothing out there to eat anytime of the year, much less in the fall/winter.
We run feeders year-round on that property.
Nothing out there unless you're eating Mesquite or cactus. :think:

Your dilemma is "what" to feed or plant during the cold. We don't have that problem here. :mrgreen:

As we all know, Deers are ruminants, and therefore their diets are limited, mainly to feeding only on vegetation. Their diet primarily comprises woody plants, grasses, foliage, flowers, shrubs, and fruits.

Having specialized stomachs and requiring high nutrition, they select easily digestible foods. Deer are also known as ‘concentrate grazers.’ Examples of food deer eat are:

Soybeans –are very rich in nutrients and contain up to 40% protein crucial in the diets of deer.
Grass –compromise less than 10% of a deer's diet. It also contains protein. Tough in low amounts.
Chestnuts –are high in protein and carbohydrates. They are also low in tannins that inhibit digestion.
Mushrooms –are high in phosphorous and proteins that aid in the growth and development of deer muscles.
Forbs –are highly digestible and are a rich source of energy, vitamins, and antioxidants.
Beechnuts –are high in proteins and fats crucial for energy and maintaining body mass in deer's.
Twigs
Alfalfa –contain protein in small amounts and provide a good supplement for the nutrition of deer.
Apples and peaches –are palatable for deer and are high in fiber that aid in the digestion of other foods.
Acorns –are rich in protein, carbohydrates, fats, and minerals such as potassium, phosphorous, and calcium. They also contain vitamin C, all of which play a big part I the survival of deer.
Bark –cedar elm, four-wing, and saltbush
Shoots
Pecans –are fed on commonly during winter and are high in fat, providing sufficient energy to carry the deer throughout the winter season.
Persimmons –are also known as deer candy due to their appealing taste and are high in nutrients, starch, vitamin C, potassium, iron, phosphorous, and carbohydrates.
Foliage
Wild crabapple –though bitter, they contain tannins and have a high nutrition value as well.
Clover leaves –are a preferred source of food during the winter season, especially the red clovers, which are high in nutrients crucial to the deer diet.
Old Man’s Beard –grey lichen, typically found growing on dead spruce and balsam trees high in nutrients and essential in deer's diet.
Weeds –dandelions, ragweed, and asters
Trees –willow, oak and red cedar are fed on, especially in the winter season. They act as good supplements for deer feed.
Oat –are easily digestible and are rich in crude protein to aid in muscle development in deer.
Staghorn sumac (a plant) –provides a sufficient amount of nutrients during the winter season. Deer feed on their fruits to supplement their diets.

I am lucky enough to have a place that has a couple of HUGE natural Persimmons on it. The deer eat these like candy. I also have some nice White Oaks that produce large acorns nearly every year.
Down here, you will see a lot of guys plant fruit trees. If I were going to do this, I'd look at apples and pears.
Some folks talk about Hickory trees. Trust me, deer will NOT eat Hickory nuts. Too tough.
I have Hickory trees everywhere and they produce "fruit" by the ton every year. I have NEVER seen a deer even attempt to eat a Hickory nut. :wtf:

On a side note: The Hickory nuts work well in a smoker!! :thumbup:

The only green stuff that grows in the winter that I have any experience with is Winter Rye, but it's a cereal grass and that only makes up 10% of the deer's diet. Winter rye seed, also called cereal rye, works incredibly well as a food plot. Expect quick germination and quick growth in the fall, greenery throughout the winter months, and vigorous growth in the spring. Winter rye seed will remain productive later in the fall and earlier in the spring than any other food plot seed.

I wish you luck with your food plot/kill plot experiment.
If you find something that grows are at least won't die out from the extreme cold, please let me know.
I'm always looking to learn.

AJ
Boo

Post by Boo »

I maybe planting chicory this fall in the kill plot and if I do, I'll plant forage kale with it. One thing I noticed is that the radishes get eaten down to the root by late November. The kale has leaves low and by mid Dec there are only a few leaves per plant but the stems are still standing and being eaten. When it thaws, I know leaves will reappear. They are a 2 year plant with stiff, almost woody stems. They are still eating those stems now. I planted in the second week of Aug and will plant last week of July/first week of Aug so that the stems will be thicker. They appear to like those thicker stems.