O/T 410 Turkey Gun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flinthead

O/T 410 Turkey Gun

Post by flinthead »

Shortly after deer season ends, my thoughts turn to the ol' turkey birds! It was a nice 59 degree day here in the lovely state of South Carolina and I have been itching to sight in my new Stevens 301 410.

It is well established that the guy right here behind the keyboard will fall for a new gimmick, especially one clad in Mossy Oak, and a 410 turkey gun surely fall into that category. Oh well!! After mounting a nice red dot and buying some Federal TSS #9 shells (ouch!!) I decided today was the day to dial the little peashooter in.

Today results were promising... 203 hits in a 10" circle at 20 yards and 72 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards using the factory choke. 40 yards is usually my max distance turkey hunting anway, regardless of weapon, so I think this little guy will work out just fine!

By the way, if you have dialed in a turkey gun before, you know that it's sometimes accompanied by a dislocated shoulder :crazy: :crazy: this thing is like shooting a 22 rifle... I giggled with every shot!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
janesy

Re: O/T 410 Turkey Gun

Post by janesy »

Nice!

I took a candle stick load from an 870 in the shoulder when I was leaned between it and a tree...Now I shoot a versaMax! :eusa-dance:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
artifact

Post by artifact »

A couple years ago I had a Tom facing me, in full strut. at exactly 40 yds., I didn't get it. I also have an 870 super mag., with a red dot scope, that I patterned, I bought it just for turkey hunting and it has never impressed me! On paper it looks great, but when it comes to killing turkey's, I did better with my O/U 12ga. 3" Mag.
I have read quite a bit about the .410 with TSS shot being very effective on turkeys, one thing for sure is that the .410 won't feel like a mule kicked you in the shoulder every time you pull the trigger, those 12 ga. 3 1/2" magnums definitely put a hurting on the shoulder!
Good luck with the new pea shooter, I think you will be happy with it! :thumbup:
Normous

Post by Normous »

Somehow most recent offerings in "come back" Mossy Oak retro camo gets my attention too.

Thats a sweet looking 410....don't miss.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Come on Norm... the M-Word??? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Many years ago I swore off bowhunting turkeys after several misses with a longbow and at least one with a compound (knocked a few feathers out each time)... I did eventually kill one with my Ibex a couple of years ago.

Over the years I have noticed that I average two longbeards in good killing range during the season with many more just out of range... with all those misses under my belt, only a crazy person would take a single shot 410 into the turkey woods... but what can I say?? Just a glutton for punishment I guess! :problem: :wtf: 8)
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
artifact

Post by artifact »

Just had to look!
In regard to the (ouch) on the price of .410 TSS shells, they are "CHEAP" compared to the TSS 12ga. 3 1/2" mag! :wtf: :crazy:
Getting to the point, (if you're old :lol: ), where a box of ammo now costs almost as much or more than you paid for the gun. :eusa-doh:
grouse

Post by grouse »

I really like the idea behind this gun and I like the price. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the small size. I'm 6' 2" and I'm concerned that it would fit me poorly. I already have an H&R Topper single shot 410 with a fixed full choke. It might be better to have it modified to accept choke tubes and try it. It's also a little small but I've killed a lot of rabbits with it.
axiom
350 SE
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Sounds like fun ...mark l was thinking about turkey season yesterday .
Last night was our last day of archery deer l had two doe come by at last light but all l could think about was my date with Mrs at the steakhouse didn't want to deal with a carcass so the ribeye won..damn it was good too.
I haven't been hunting in a few weeks it felt good to just sit in the tree in the semi warm.
Last year l had very little turkey time for the crossbow and opted for the ten guage l hope to use the crossbow again this year l enjoy it a lot after shooting a lot of turkey the crossbow was just better .
I'm sure the .410 will be the same fun also.
I bought my new England 10 guage in 1994 l purchased 2 boxes of 10 quantity shells ..its crazy but l can say l killed a turkey with evey one of the 20 lol.
The gun was 159.00 dollars ..between the deer and turkey l killed with that gun I feel l got my money's worth
Lol.hell I have even lent the gun to friends and they killed deer and turkey with it.40 years old and still works as new what a bargain.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the new tool I am betting it will become a favorite very fast as single shots lend themselves to quite easily.
The short receivers of single shot actions make for a very nice handling gun and the simplicity of it just grows on you.
My frustration is that ever since the "judge " revolver came out chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells I have not seen a 3 inch shell for sale in Michigan in a dozen Years.
I am revering to standard lead .
My first gun was and Is a Savage .410 single shot walnut stock from around the 1950 area or earlier with a 3 inch chamber.
It is a delight to hunt with but i have not tried the TSS shot in it.
Here is a good talk on the .410 and TSS that i watched last week I thought was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v83euYMNJD0
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

.410 shells are very scarce .l too have a judge and enjoy shooting .410 slugs out of it.
Basically mail order is my only option.
I have seen some .410 birdshot at walleys world last week .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
adzsask

Post by adzsask »

Tiger arms has some shells, act fast.
Micro 335 nightmare
boo string
wheely cheek rest
munch mount
norm arrows
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Mark that should be a fun hunt with that pop gun! :thumbup:
Many years ago, during the fall season for Rio's, I started hunting Rio's with a scoped T/C Contender in .223. Needless to say, that combo killed a few birds before I let it retired. :lol:

Back in East Texas now, there are only 12 counties that allow spring season for the Eastern's. You must use a shotgun or bow.
I wish you success with the .410! :thumbup:

Post pics of the aftermath!! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Thats not a bad pattern for a .410
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"