Hunt 2023

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Hunt 2023

Post by Boo »

So what are your plans for this up coming season? Any plans on making the property you hunt more productive?
I plan on some different plants in my food plot as well as my kill plot.
I am going to put in 2 other blinds, probably pop ups at first until I know they are going to be productive spots.
There's a section that I want to plant around 20 to 30 seedlings and 3 year old Norway Spruce trees for screening to make the deer feel less exposed.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Re: Hunt 2023

Post by Carnivorous »

My plans for deer will be to put up 2 more ladder stands so I can hunt when we have odd winds.

Also try to get permission on a few more properties... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:12 am
My plans for deer will be to put up 2 more ladder stands so I can hunt when we have odd winds.

Out of curiosity Jeff, are you continuing to bait at all? I am still laying out corn and hope to have enough to take me to April.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Boo wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:20 am
Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:12 am

Out of curiosity Jeff, are you continuing to bait at all? I am still laying out corn and hope to have enough to take me to April.
Nope I actually didn't put any bait down last season. I tagged out too soon... lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Likely pass on our Island deer (Blacktails) agin this year.
IMO their low numbers due to AHD cannot support much of a hunt.

I will take in late season archery whitetails as long as I can still walk and see.

Exploring several different options for an elk this year, in 2 Provinces (Alberta & BC).
I've taken 29 to date, but it has now been a few years.
And I have a hankering for some fine chewing elk again...

Best of Luck to All this Fall! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Well, nothing on the burner right now, except a hog or two!
Come this summer I'll apply for a couple of exotic hunts across Texas. I'll be looking at Aoudad, Axis, Sambar and Nilgai. Those will put miles on the new Ram 4x4.
I'm a sucker for Exotics!! :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Me and three friends that have hunted together for years leave on the 23rd for Chaparral WMA on a Javelina hunt. The area is amazing! I have been a few times previously and it is always a great time. Plus the friends are great to be around, and we havent hunted together much in a few years. It will be a blast, and I cant wait!
I dont have anything else until spring turkey, and where I have to go is iffy, so we will see. Will be fun anyway.
Chaparral is way down south nearly to Mexico. The deer down there dont rut until around Christmas, so they still have their horns this time of year. They arent legal bag, but it is always great to see the big deer they have down there.
Boo

Post by Boo »

IronNoggin wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:12 pm
Likely pass on our Island deer (Blacktails) agin this year.
IMO their low numbers due to AHD cannot support much of a hunt.

I will take in late season archery whitetails as long as I can still walk and see.

Exploring several different options for an elk this year, in 2 Provinces (Alberta & BC).
I've taken 29 to date, but it has now been a few years.
And I have a hankering for some fine chewing elk again...

Best of Luck to All this Fall! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
Matt, if you want to connect with my friends in Peace River/Fairview area, let me know. It’s been a few years but Elk and whitetail were over counter tags. These guys are just the salt of the earth!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:00 pm
Me and three friends that have hunted together for years leave on the 23rd for Chaparral WMA on a Javelina hunt. The area is amazing! I have been a few times previously and it is always a great time. Plus the friends are great to be around, and we havent hunted together much in a few years. It will be a blast, and I cant wait!
I dont have anything else until spring turkey, and where I have to go is iffy, so we will see. Will be fun anyway.
Chaparral is way down south nearly to Mexico. The deer down there dont rut until around Christmas, so they still have their horns this time of year. They arent legal bag, but it is always great to see the big deer they have down there.
Paul,
I envy you! Chaparral WMA is really a neat place. I too, have hunted it a time or two. Always a blast! Not much else in Artesia Wells. :lol:
But Cotulla is just back north about 15 miles or so. But I remember when Cotulla was just a spot in the road with a single restaurant. Meet George Strait there back in the early 90's. But that's another story!! :mrgreen:
And you're right, Mexico is 60 miles away as the crow flies.

Paul y'all be safe. Have a blast! Javelina are just plain fun to hunt!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

I don't really have any plans this year. Counting the minutes for Temagami Spring Bear. Collecting lots of tricks and treats already.

My son is 8 now, he wants to come for his first turkey hunt. So I'm pretty excited about that. Actually I'm really excited about that. I have never hunted from a blind, but I was fortunate to have got one at a price I couldn't refuse😉, to take him with me with his tablet for down time.

I'm having a hard time getting excited for whitetails these days. Last year I let them all walk. I think I just like sitting in the trees
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:02 pm
Matt, if you want to connect with my friends in Peace River/Fairview area, let me know. It’s been a few years but Elk and whitetail were over counter tags. These guys are just the salt of the earth!
Very Generous Sir! :thumbup:

I will indeed keep that in mind!

Appreciated!

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Boo wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:50 am
So what are your plans for this up coming season? Any plans on making the property you hunt more productive?
I plan on some different plants in my food plot as well as my kill plot.
I am going to put in 2 other blinds, probably pop ups at first until I know they are going to be productive spots.
There's a section that I want to plant around 20 to 30 seedlings and 3 year old Norway Spruce trees for screening to make the deer feel less exposed.
my plans are to have a couple water holes put in and planting 100 12"-18" norway spruce to screen an abandoned gas well from neighboring property. this will be come another foodplot after the capping work is finished, date for the work is unknown at this time though. also having a property consultation to give more ideas of what can be done within reason to improve land for deer mainly but all critters will benefit so more might be on the slate after the consult. one thing i will bring up to the consultant is clearing trees so i can plant several things in sight of my rifle blind right now the plot is about 3/4 acre and i would like to double that so i can give the deer a buffet of plantings and eventually add more fruit trees. had property logged 2 years ago so looking forward to see regen on 3rd growing season. this habitat stuff is a continued work in progress!
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I'll be ice fishing until mid-April. Than 2 weeks after that it's spring bear. I'll start worrying about deer about the first week of June. That will last until mid-August. Than switch back to bear until mid September. Than a nice focused few months on deer.

Food plot wise i will probably just keep going with my white clover plots but if i feel motivated i might plant some beet plots mid July.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

With changes in the landscape due to trees dying and/or falling, I've really got to look into new locations for a stand or two on my primary hunting lot. There are some valid options that won't require me to fully climb the mountain that I need to check out. Those locations are fairly thick areas with likely only limited visual range. But, as we all know, the thicker areas are frequently well travelled. It will be a question of whether a viable and safe tree exists. I'd love to harvest a deer with three differently types of archery gear in the coming season (traditional, compound and crossbow) which will be easier to accomplish if I can find a location where I can get real close to deer.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I'm already thinking about turkey season last year season was very limited time wise but l plan on getting out more this season and definitely with the crossbow .
As usual spring comes so fast and there are many things to do all at at once fishing is at a peak around turkey season and it's a seesaw on which hobby wins.
We have a newer man made lake nearby and it was stocked with tiger musky fingerling every year but now many have matured and are extremely large .
The lake is very clear and challenging to fish so I'm kinda making it my new "quest".
I had my fill of deer this year it's hard to think of really doing anything different we don't bait here or have any feed plots other than mother nature's acorns and tree dropped goodies so it's out of my control.
I'm gonna keep going to the gym in case l gotta get to dragging another swamp buck out ...gym or not it will kick my butt but only more because l will be a year older lol.
I hope to post a picture of me and bother with 2 gobblers and better yet ....A Big Tiger musky with a sagging belly!!!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.