Off topic musky fishing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Off topic musky fishing

Post by longbow joe »

It's off topic but our forum hasn't exactly been on fire lately so I will throw it out there for some advice.
I'm no stranger to pike fishing l have been to the st Lawrence a few times and locally have gotten pike in the fifteen pound range basically every year but my new quest for tiger musky in the newer lake here is an uphill battle.
Extremely clear water deep areas (to 60 feet ) not a lot of vegetation yet because it's a newer body of water.(reclaimed rock quarry) no powerboats only electric motor.
These fish are extremely skittish and smarter than the average bear.
A wire leader looks like a tugboat cable so it's a floro leader or no leader.
It seems like best catching is had on lifelike crankbaits rather than the normal gaudy musky stuff that normally works.
I'm not usually a live bait fisherman other than leaches for walleye I am definitely a lure kinda guy.
Any help or tactics for skittish musky would be appreciated and even favorite weather conditions etc would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance Joe z.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Re: Off topic musky fishing

Post by janesy »

Well, 80-100 pound braid, HUSKY-Musky flouro leaders, and double tens.

Set the hook the instant it hits the water(get those blades out)and burn it back as fast as you can. Figure 8 every single time, and get ready at the boat. They will follow it back and wait under the boat and hit the next figure 8

Other than that, troll, fast and close to the propwash.

I'm not responsible if you get addicted. Muskie fishing is the reason why I got into crossbows.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

They are definitely not like pike. They are not skittish, they are calculating. They are a wolf and the pike is the coyote. The pike feeds at will and at random. The wolf utilizes its energy to consume as many calories as possible while burning the least amount.

Pike is fishing, Muskie is HUNTING
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

One of the more successful anglers at the lake has a lot of musky experience but is baffled why the normal musky lures don't seem to work.
His most significant lure has been a savage gear 2 ounce eel. Trolling the 20 to 30 foot depths in mid summer.
I assume the gin clear water and lack of weed growth on the newer lake is most of the cause for the finicky behavior.
I have purchased some of the large 3 oz 12inch polish pike lures that l had luck on for pike in the past that get into the 20 foot range and a couple butcher crankbaits but didn't get to use them yet.
The lake was stocked and is still stocked yearly with massive walleye fry also no doubt they are gorging on them too.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Think big Joe. Muskies want calories, not snacks. Doesn't have to be crazy exciting for them, but if they are eating 12" walleye, give them 12" walleye. Of the thousands of muskie lure I had, I only ever landed the big girls on the custom baits. Store bought generic stuff was just too common for them. Bucher would be an exception, that good store bought stuff.

Muskies are very fragile after they are caught, there are exhausted to the last breathe. So I you are going to go after them, you need the proper gear. BIG net or cradle, long pliers and a set of knipex mini bolt cutters. 9.5 times out of ten, your cutting the hook. DO NOT HOLD them by the gills or you will stretch their spine and they will die. If you get the muskie bite, you'll never want to bass fish again.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Please let us know how it goes, :eusa-popcorn:

Dave :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
grouse

Post by grouse »

Having caught one muskie, I think I qualify as an expert. Mine was caught using an 1/8 oz. crappie jig with a leech attached using 10 lb. test mono. on a spinning reel, while fishing for walleye. Numerous times during the fight I said "I'm never going to land this fish" but I eventually did. It was 47" long and was released immediately.

I can't say I'm interested in fishing for muskies. They are too similar to pike, which are slimy and toothy and not that good to eat. Unhooking them is dangerous and often results in bloodshed. Seeing a pike at the end of my line is about as pleasing as seeing a carp there - a disappointment.
axiom
350 SE
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Lol..Grouse that's funny l fish for pike all the time with big lures...but my biggest pike 21 pounds was actually caught just as you...on a 1/8 ounce berkley gulp minnow.
Same story I had it hooked just on the upper lip and landed it on shore without a net.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Fishing down here in Lake St Clair and the Detroit River I try to avoid catching musky! Lol

They are tackle killers... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
grouse

Post by grouse »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:17 pm
Lol..Grouse that's funny l fish for pike all the time with big lures...but my biggest pike 21 pounds was actually caught just as you...on a 1/8 ounce berkley gulp minnow.
Same story I had it hooked just on the upper lip and landed it on shore without a net.
I didn't really mean to insult pike fishermen. The first time I caught a pike I was excited and thought it was really cool. They're a good sport fish, much better than carp. My problem is when you have to bring them into the boat to unhook them. The thrashing slimy fish with sharp teeth and gill plates are a little dangerous. Once I was trying to untangle a still hooked pike from a landing net when its thrashing drove a hook into my hand past the barb. The fish and I were both still connected to the treble hook and I had to unhook and release the fish, then push the point of the hook back through my skin so I could cut the barb off and remove the hook (not the first or last time I've done that, but the only time with a pike). I try to release pike while still in the water whenever I can.
axiom
350 SE
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

I don't understand musky, but a basic rule I have for pike is that you have to tire the fish in the water, if it reaches your hands or the boat with vitality, that's a bad thing.
Assassin 400TD
janesy

Post by janesy »

PaulSpain wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:22 pm
I don't understand musky, but a basic rule I have for pike is that you have to tire the fish in the water, if it reaches your hands or the boat with vitality, that's a bad thing.
Muskie is the exact opposite of pike. Get it to the boat ASAP. So the second it's not green you can cradle it and do your thing.
Otherwise it's either dying, or it's thrashing the sh!t out if your boat.

I will say the boat thrashing is pretty darn hilarious if the other people with you don't know what they are in for.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

janesy wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:01 pm
PaulSpain wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:22 pm
Muskie is the exact opposite of pike. Get it to the boat ASAP. So the second it's not green you can cradle it and do your thing.
Otherwise it's either dying, or it's thrashing the sh!t out if your boat.

I will say the boat thrashing is pretty darn hilarious if the other people with you don't know what they are in for.
:thumbup:
I never would have thought of it. :D
Assassin 400TD
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

We always remove tackle from a musky, while it's in net . Most fisherman i know and a lot of guides don't use cradles.

All fish are lifted into boat, for picture purposes. Fingers/glove under the jaw. Not the gills

Never really had a loose musky thrashing around in the boat. All handled and released without much issue.

We never really "fight" a musky . Set hook and crank hard.
Muskys do have to be handled carefully. Most need a few minutes to recoup during release. Depends on how hard a run and how long they took to get into net.

Everybody's gonna fish differently and every caught fish reacts differently too..

I'm no expert but love fishing for musky. !

Big lures, any brand and medium spinners. Mostly mepps
janesy

Post by janesy »

elkaholic wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:13 pm
We always remove tackle from a musky, while it's in net . Most fisherman i know and a lot of guides don't use cradles.

All fish are lifted into boat, for picture purposes. Fingers/glove under the jaw. Not the gills

Never really had a loose musky thrashing around in the boat. All handled and released without much issue.

We never really "fight" a musky . Set hook and crank hard.
Muskys do have to be handled carefully. Most need a few minutes to recoup during release. Depends on how hard a run and how long they took to get into net.

Everybody's gonna fish differently and every caught fish reacts differently too..

I'm no expert but love fishing for musky. !

Big lures, any brand and medium spinners. Mostly mepps
All good info.

I don't personally use a cradle, but a lot of guys up here do because you can clip tackle, and length check a fish without removing it from the water. When used correctly they are better then a net. I had a beautiful Beckman net, but I've since sold alll my gear.

I've only ever had 1 fish thrash the boat, and it was actually a guide that lost control of it. Not really his fault, we were outrunning a thunderstorm and the weather went bad pretty fast after the hook set.The two other dudes in the boat where crapping their pants trying to get away from it. I had to tackle it and cover its eyes like a gator wrestler. It was exciting, but not something I'd like to see happen again. Fish was fine. She was a big fat Lac Seoule hog at 48.75"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme