2022 recap

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

2022 recap

Post by gerald strine »

I normally start my deer hunting with a total of 3 deer tags a combo license that is 2 tags good for a archery and Firearm season but with one tag a restricted tag of 3 points on a side and then I apply for a Doe tag for state land that I normally get.
I try to fill my doe tag early down state with my x bow and save my combo licenses for my annual x bow rut hunt with my brother and the restricted tag for my firearm group hunt in November.
Well I filled my Doe tag very nicely as planned with the 340 Mag in early October and it was posted here.
My Rut hunt with my brother turned out to be a bust it was the first week of November but the movement was not their and my brother was having some serious Vertigo issues that was limiting his time to hunt.
No deer were harvested so I go into forearm season with 2 tags and 3 days to hunt , we have a snow storm to hunt in and everyone sees deer opening day but no one gets a shot in our group opening day .
the next to days the sighting's are next to nothing and no deer are taken in our group for the firearm hunt.
So my dads B day is Dec 7th and it is in the middle of Muzzle loading season and I decide to go see him and get a hunt in while I an up north.
I am on my own and normally am done for the year buy now.
I have a trailer to sleep in and a 2 1/2 mile 4 wheeler ride to the hunting spot.
I decide to pack a lunch and hunt all day in my tree stand the morning produces one sighting of a spike not legal to harvest .
I decide to hunt until 1:00 before eating my lunch in stand , well at 12:50 I see a very nice 8 point walking the edge of the tags and decide he is a shooter for sure.
I am using a old 50 cal Remington 700 ML in line with Hornady XTP 300 grain .44 sabots and a #11 percussion cap.
The buck is 70 yards out and about to get into the tags and if he does he is home free it is so thick,
The deer offers a neck shot and shooting off my knee and elbow I take it !
BOOM , big smoke , and me trying desperately to look around the smoke and I see if I got a hit !
Well he dropped in his tracks but one hind leg gives 2 feeble kicks so I do my best to reload in the tree stand but I was terably slow and totally unnecessary.
I figured well no neck roast for me but when I skinned him out I was amazed I have never killed a deer so fast with so little damage.
The hit was just under the spine took out the juggler and exited very low the other side almost no bruising , and no big blood build up in the chest cavity when gutting.
He never took another step and bleed out , died almost instantly. I got him on my crawler cart and towed him out on the 4 wheeler.
I did a home tanning job on the hide since their were no hole in the chest .
I have a few selfie pictures if someone wanted to post them for me.
Wanted to post this for a while but life keeps me pretty busy .
With things so slow on the sight I thought better now then never.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Normous

Re: 2022 recap

Post by Normous »

Congratulations on your fine season!
I am also a fan of the XTP ML bullet in 240/300 gr.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Nice! Nothing better than ending a season with a bang and a buck! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

WTG Gerald!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
janesy

Post by janesy »

Thanks for the great story Jerry! Congrats on a successful hunt
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
grouse

Post by grouse »

Good job and a good story to read. Your freezer is full and you have some nice memories!
axiom
350 SE