assassin 400 versus suppressor 400 pros and cons

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deaf jeff

assassin 400 versus suppressor 400 pros and cons

Post by Deaf jeff »

i am on the fence with these 2. can i get some pros and cons of users of these bows? the main difference is built in crank and adjustable stock on the assassin thats about all i can get from reading about them......TIA
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
janesy

Re: assassin 400 versus suppressor 400 pros and cons

Post by janesy »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:37 pm
i am on the fence with these 2. can i get some pros and cons of users of these bows? the main difference is built in crank and adjustable stock on the assassin thats about all i can get from reading about them......TIA
Hey Jeff, I think the best thing to do would be to go to a shop and line up the three,

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400TD
Assassin 400EX.

One will just fit you. The biggest thing you'll notice is the nearly 1 pound deference between each model as you move up. The Suppy is 1.6 pounds lighter than the Assassin 400TD. That's bare bows with no floppy rubber bits, weight by myself.

If you like your trucks with "things, buttons and gadgets" go Assassin 400TD. If you want utility with convenience, 400EX. If you just want a brute light weight hunting bow, Suppressor all the way.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

janesy wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:34 pm
Deaf jeff wrote:
Hey Jeff, I think the best thing to do would be to go to a shop and line up the three,

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400TD
Assassin 400EX.

One will just fit you. The biggest thing you'll notice is the nearly 1 pound deference between each model as you move up. The Suppy is 1.6 pounds lighter than the Assassin 400TD. That's bare bows with no floppy rubber bits, weight by myself.

If you like your trucks with "things, buttons and gadgets" go Assassin 400TD. If you want utility with convenience, 400EX. If you just want a brute light weight hunting bow, Suppressor all the way.
thanks Chris for your input. going to a dealer is easy to take for granted but i ask questions because getting to a dealer is a ton easier than said when i cannot drive. excals website says jays sporting goods is a dealer which is under 20 miles away but according to jays website they have no excal bows on it. so i do as much research as possible online then purchase from a reputable online dealer. it stinks but i can only do what i can do and deal with the stuff i cant do. right now i am leaning towards the suppressor but am hoping to get some users input
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:08 am
janesy wrote:
Deaf jeff wrote:

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400TD
Assassin 400EX.

thanks Chris for your input. going to a dealer is easy to take for granted but i ask questions because getting to a dealer is a ton easier than said when i cannot drive. excals website says jays sporting goods is a dealer which is under 20 miles away but according to jays website they have no excal bows on it. so i do as much research as possible online then purchase from a reputable online dealer. it stinks but i can only do what i can do and deal with the stuff i cant do. right now i am leaning towards the suppressor but am hoping to get some users input
I shop at Jays in Claire Mi and they do carry Excalibur bows,
I only shop their on my way "Up North" to hunt as of last fall they were selling Excalibur's I would give them a call before I went as their inventory may be low this time of year.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

[quote="gerald s
[/quote]

I shop at Jays in Claire Mi and they do carry Excalibur bows,
I only shop their on my way "Up North" to hunt as of last fall they were selling Excalibur's I would give them a call before I went as their inventory may be low this time of year.
[/quote]

thanks for the info gerald. with me being deaf phones are not my friend but now that you said this i will stop by the gaylord location next time i am in town.....jeff
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've only owned one Assassin and that was enough for my and what I want. I did not like how heavy it was. I did not like the extra complication of operation. I did not like the extra liability of the cocking cord.
Jeff, look hard at the 380 Micro. If that came out at the same time as the 400 Suppressor, I would likely have not bought the 400. It is harder on the serving which really it's only big downfall at the benefit of 20 ft/sec. The 380 is not a takedown so it is lighter with a little bit less liability because of the TD mechanism. The 380 has a better trigger. The 380 with the Charger Lite attached feels noticeably lighter than the 400 Suppressor. Of course everyone's priority varies. Mine is lighter and more simple, the better. To me, the 380 is near perfect.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Deaf jeff wrote:
janesy wrote:
Deaf jeff wrote:

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400TD
Assassin 400EX.

Ahh, makes sense, sorry I didn't realize you do not drive.

Don posted some pretty solid advice above. I personally have zero use for all the features of the A400TD. But do like the simplicity of the A400EX.

If it came down to having only one 400 series bow, it would be the Suppressor.
It would actually be the micro extreme, but it's not a Bulldog, so that's a need for me
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

janesy wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:45 pm
Deaf jeff wrote:
janesy wrote:

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400TD
Assassin 400EX.

Ahh, makes sense, sorry I didn't realize you do not drive.

Don posted some pretty solid advice above. I personally have zero use for all the features of the A400TD. But do like the simplicity of the A400EX.

If it came down to having only one 400 series bow, it would be the Suppressor.
It would actually be the micro extreme, but it's not a Bulldog, so that's a need for me
hey Chris,
no need to be sorry, it is what it is. heck after almost 33 years i am kinda starting to get used to it :shock:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Boo wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:54 pm
I've only owned one Assassin and that was enough for my and what I want. I did not like how heavy it was. I did not like the extra complication of operation. I did not like the extra liability of the cocking cord.
Jeff, look hard at the 380 Micro. If that came out at the same time as the 400 Suppressor, I would likely have not bought the 400. It is harder on the serving which really it's only big downfall at the benefit of 20 ft/sec. The 380 is not a takedown so it is lighter with a little bit less liability because of the TD mechanism. The 380 has a better trigger. The 380 with the Charger Lite attached feels noticeably lighter than the 400 Suppressor. Of course everyone's priority varies. Mine is lighter and more simple, the better. To me, the 380 is near perfect.
don,
how fast does this serving wear occur? i dont shoot much at all compared to you. ill throw a few arrows a couple times in summer but other than hunting that is about it
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:13 pm
Boo wrote:
don,
how fast does this serving wear occur? i dont shoot much at all compared to you. ill throw a few arrows a couple times in summer but other than hunting that is about it
At that rate you'll be good for a few years. I get about 200 shots at most but then this is not a recreational shooter, the 400 bows are hardcore hunting bows. Perfectly acceptable. To be clear, I have polished the latches to get the most out of my servings. But keep in mind there is a wide variance in latch wear but I think if a guy gets more than 100 shots, they should be happy.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Boo wrote:
Jeff, look hard at the 380 Micro. If that came out at the same time as the 400 Suppressor, I would likely have not bought the 400.

After one trigger replacement and plenty of polishing, I've never came close to 100 shots on a serving in my 400 Suppressor. I think the most I've gotten is maybe 60 shots on a serving. I may have been able to stretch it further, but I'm pretty conservative on reserving it instead of taking chances. I just started reserving my own strings so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Without a doubt, the 400 Suppressor is a beast. The power doesn't affect the accuracy, it is as accurate as you would expect. I did appreciate how much lighter the Suppressor is than the Assassin.

But, for everything I like about the 400 Suppressor over the 400 Assassin, I like about the Micro 380 over the 400 Suppressor. It still has all of the power I'll ever need and is not near as tough on servings. Fully equipped, the Micro 380 is another pound lighter. And, unlike with either of the 400 Micro bows, you can rope cock the 380. Though you're mileage may vary because it is certainly a stiff pull. A crank is optional on the Micro 380, but mandatory on the others.

In all honesty, I really like the look of the Wolverine or Micro Extreme 360. That power level may end up being the sweet spot for the Micro lineup when equipped with the HO limbs. It should be near bulletproof and have less serving wear than all of the higher powered Micros.

It would have been a lot cheaper for me if the Wolverine 360 came out first.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

DuckHunt wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:32 pm

In all honesty, I really like the look of the Wolverine or Micro Extreme 360. That power level may end up being the sweet spot for the Micro lineup when equipped with the HO limbs. It should be near bulletproof and have less serving wear than all of the higher powered Micros.

It would have been a lot cheaper for me if the Wolverine 360 came out first.
I've been playing around with a 365-370fps HO limbed bow for about a year now. And it hands down the best bow I've made or bought.
It's proven to be a downright pleasure to shoot.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme