Old sporting gear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Old sporting gear

Post by longbow joe »

When l was "young " in 1981 l got a part time job at a local beer store after securing my first paycheck at 3 bucks n hour 😆 l purchased a brown classic fenwick 4 foot 8 trout rod.
A whooping 80 bucks at the time...very pricy anyway I still use the rod today and it's still in excellent shape too...used for 40 years..literally every season.
My next paycheck went to a brand new remington 870 that I still have today.
I pissed a lot of money away since then but it's good to see some lasting memories that l still have a physical attachment too.
Do any of you have some long lasting sporting stuff!
I also remember pissing 80 bucks on a young lady at a local carnival at that young age with nothing to show for...it just fueled my love of the outdoors more lolol.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
artifact

Re: Old sporting gear

Post by artifact »

I have a "supply" of Johnson Sabra spin cast reels that were, and still are, my go to reels for fishing small trout streams, I mount them on a Shakespear Wonder rod, and a South Bend Oren-O-Matic on a Shakespear wonder rod fly rod, I also have a 16 ga. model 37 Ithaca that I started hunting with.
Some of my "newer" old stuff includes a "supply" of Zebco Cardinal 4's on modern poles, and for hunting, my two go to rifles are a Remington 660 6.5 Remington Magnum, and a Remington 700 ADL 30-06 carbine, I didn't buy those rifles new but have had them a long time and they aint going nowhere!
grouse

Post by grouse »

My first graphite fishing rod was also a Fenwick and I loved that rod. Eventually I broke the tip off and it just wasn't the same with a new tip. I have an 8'6" Fenwick steelhead rod today that I have used for salmon in Alaska as well as bass, walleye and catfish, in various places. I like Loomis and St. Croix rods (and others) but Fenwick is still a favorite.

When I was 18 and right out of high school, I spent the summer working for General Motors and making really good money. I bought a Remington pump .22 (I think it's a 572) and an Ithaca model 37 featherlight 20ga pump. My arsenal includes many guns I haven't shot in years, but I still shoot those two guns about every year. I love pump guns. They're made for one thing; hunting!
axiom
350 SE
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I have an old Montgomery Wards bolt action 12 gauge shotgun that has accounted for ducks, Fox, wild hogs, dove and deer. Paid $75.00 for it in the late 70s. Still use it.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
janesy

Post by janesy »

I still have and use the compass and sleeping bag my father gave me for my birthday around aged 8 or 9.

I have no idea where the compass is right this moment. But the sleeping bag was as ultra light mummy bag that was all the rage at the time. Let's say 1990. It's been under water strapped to an ATV, boat trips, hunting trips. It's pretty flat and probably doesn't even work anymore. But I still enjoy it.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Pa gave me a single shot 12 gauge Winchester in 1960.
Taken a huge pile of game with it - grouse, ducks, geese, a couple bears and a handful of deer.
No bluing left at all and the stock broke and glued back together.
Won't ever be giving that up!

Gramps gave me a Buck folder when I was ten.
Sharpened so many times the blade is about 1/3 gone.
Still packing it.

Also inherited Gramps' Winchester Model 88 in 308 - 1955 version.
Another I won't be giving up until I wander (already willed to a young Cousin).

And Forbsey gave me his 1960 First Year of German Production 270 Weatherby Magnum.
Had it 100% restored, and she is a tack driver...

Just a few among many...

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I still have the 1st deer rifle I got for my birthday when I was 13. It's an old Marlin lever in 30.-30. killed a few east Texas deer with that thing in my youth.
I also have a Model 10 S&W in .38 Special that was my dad's. Probably made about 1913 according to the serial number. I have a 1917 Colt revolver in 45ACP that my late father-in-law gave me.
When he gave it to me, it was still wrapped in the brown paper and coated with cosmoline grease from the factory.

I have a Model 34 Savage .22 rifle I WON selling magazines (the kind people used to read) in Ag Class to raise money for the Ag Department at school.
Our Ag teacher was named T.G. Hemby. everybody called him "Buster". A really neat guy. Anyway, Buster tells us knotheads who ever sells the most magazine subscriptions will win the rifle. SO yeah, I won.

Can you imagine a teacher giving a student a gun today??
He also taught Texas Hunters Education classes AT SCHOOL. We actually brought guns to school and fired them on the campus. Talk about causing liberals to explode!! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
Of course, this was 1973.

I have a nickel-plated Colt Python that I carried for about 5 years at work. Replaced it with a Model 92FS Beretta.
The old Colt is in the safe with the others. The 92 gets carried everyday. It has literally saved my life more than once.

I've have a BUNCH of other stuff in the safe. But it's JUST STUFF. When I leave this place, I ain't taking any of it with me. The kids can fight over it when I'm gone!! :lol: :mrgreen:

And one last thought or perhaps, question. Talking about OLD sporting stuff.... Does that apply to me also?? :thumbup: :lol: :mrgreen: :eusa-whistle:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I have my Dads Winchester Model 12 Heavy Duck. In great shape. Think he got it in ‘58. I have my granddads Winchester Model 55 30 WCF. It’s a takedown. It is in good shootable condition but receiver has “ grayed out”. I have Dads old shell vest. It is brown duck and has loops but no game bag in back. I just bought a new to me “old Stuff” rifle. It’s a Browning High Power Safari Grade in a 😳 caliber. Gorgeous wood, polished deep Browning blue. A super condition classic( think they made those ‘60-‘72)
I am a big fan of traditional walnut/blue guns. The plastic matte blue stuff is not really my thing.
flightattendant100

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:47 am
I still have the 1st deer rifle I got for my birthday when I was 13. It's an old Marlin lever in 30.-30. killed a few east Texas deer with that thing in my youth.
I also have a Model 10 S&W in .38 Special that was my dad's. Probably made about 1913 according to the serial number. I have a 1917 Colt revolver in 45ACP that my late father-in-law gave me.
When he gave it to me, it was still wrapped in the brown paper and coated with cosmoline grease from the factory.

I have a Model 34 Savage .22 rifle I WON selling magazines (the kind people used to read) in Ag Class to raise money for the Ag Department at school.
Our Ag teacher was named T.G. Hemby. everybody called him "Buster". A really neat guy. Anyway, Buster tells us knotheads who ever sells the most magazine subscriptions will win the rifle. SO yeah, I won.

Can you imagine a teacher giving a student a gun today??
He also taught Texas Hunters Education classes AT SCHOOL. We actually brought guns to school and fired them on the campus. Talk about causing liberals to explode!! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
Of course, this was 1973.

I have a nickel-plated Colt Python that I carried for about 5 years at work. Replaced it with a Model 92FS Beretta.
The old Colt is in the safe with the others. The 92 gets carried everyday. It has literally saved my life more than once.

I've have a BUNCH of other stuff in the safe. But it's JUST STUFF. When I leave this place, I ain't taking any of it with me. The kids can fight over it when I'm gone!! :lol: :mrgreen:

And one last thought or perhaps, question. Talking about OLD sporting stuff.... Does that apply to me also?? :thumbup: :lol: :mrgreen: :eusa-whistle:
AJ, 1973 I think, I had shop in school. Shop teacher always had a project for him too. Get us started then work on his. He was refinishing a Model 12 stock. We talked. Dad had a Model 12 so I wanted one. Shop teacher thought maybe he would trade for a gun I had, snd told me to ho home and get it. I said, I can go home and get my gun?? He said… Well go ask Mr. Averitt( VP) I did snd Mr.Averitt said, “ You know I can’t give you a pass to leave school grounds( nothing about the gun) but if you will ho straight home and come straight back, nobody will say anything” So I went hit my gun, we traded snd I took Model 12 home. All with the VP knowing what was going on!😳😳
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I don't have alot of old gear because I'm constantly upgrading! Lol

The one thing I have kept and carry is my Ron Post made in South River Ontario custom knife. Have had it since the early 90"s. It has incredible edge retention and fits my hands like a glove. Even though I mostly use my havalon for most gutting jobs its their in case i need more backbone. :)

It will be passed on to a young hunter some day and will last forever..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Paul, how was the hunt down at Artesia Wells?
Y'all get a Javelina or two? Hope a good time was had by all!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flightattendant100

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:50 pm
Paul, how was the hunt down at Artesia Wells?
Y'all get a Javelina or two? Hope a good time was had by all!!
AJ, Well, it was different. I drew out on javelina first time in 1985. I noticed they took all the standbys. I asked about that and was told no guarantees but they tried to be accommodating. I have been 8or 9 times and one deer hunt. ALWAYS a BIG deal. Lots of folks. Head biologist. Several biologists snd a couple of tech’s. Campground would be nearly full. This hunt, we were ONLY tent in campground, there were four trailers in RV csmpground. 19 hunters period! Two techs did all orientation and took us out to show us the areas snd then split the rest of weekend so only one tech was there. I felt like it was deserted.
We had a good time, saw some game( one Muy Grande) but only two javelinas we saw were on our way out Sunday morning. It was just not like a Chaparral hunt has ever been. ( but I will keep putting in for it.😊)
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I have in my possession what I believe to be the first gun I ever fired. It's a Ruger 10/22 that my dad bought in 1975. That would have been about the time I took my first shots and this would have been the perfect platform. The extractor broke a couple years after my dad bought it and he sold it to my late Uncle for cheap. My uncle passed away in the Spring of 2020 and my dad found himself back in possession of the rifle. My Uncle carried it in his farm truck all those years and there is no telling how many varmints and pests were dispatched with it. While on a visit I took the opportunity to install a new extractor and had the gun ejecting unfired rounds for the first time in more than 40 years.

My dad gave it to me not long afterwards as he started to whittle down his inventory. The old rifle certainly showed its age having spent more than four decades riding around the farm lands. The bluing was very weak but the wood looked very solid if you ignored the aged finish. I reblued the steel parts and refinished the stock and now it looks pretty good for its age.

Here is picture of the stripped down stock and how it turned out.

It took a while, but I was able to find a working similarly aged Tasco 4x scope to replace the banged up glass it had on it.
A trip to the range confirmed that it's still a fine firearm that will get passed down again someday.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

Nice, reminds me, I do have my Father's Cooey 22 bolt Ction. In its original box somewhere. It's the first gun I ever shot. It's in pretty rough condition for a gun that has barely been fired. It was never really stored properly. The jack rabbit stock is mint, but the trigger guard is broken and the chrome plated bolt and handle are pretty worn. The bluing is fairly evenly coated with light rust. He bought it for $16 at Wolco in the late 60's with paper route money.

One day I'll have it properly restored.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme