16.5" Bolt Shooters - how are you getting the weight up?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sbox

16.5" Bolt Shooters - how are you getting the weight up?

Post by sbox »

I've shot an Exocet and Vixen for years and my 20" Black Eagle Executioners w110gn brass inserts and 125 gr Slick Tricks weight in the 460 gn range. Which I've been very happy with.

I'm thinking of getting a Micro Extreme or Micro 380 which will be a bunch easier to carry in the brushy country i hunt which both shoot 16.5" bolts.

My question is.... How are you 16.5 guill shooters getting the weight up on your 16.5" quills other jacking up the weight on your broadhead. I really don't want to change broadheads. I've had to much success on to many animals to go lighter or change broadheads.

And I've never been to succeful removing aluminum inserts to replace with brass without damaging the bolt. So I've been buying BE Executioners with the 110gn insert.
Thx in advance.
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II
AJ01

Re: 16.5" Bolt Shooters - how are you getting the weight up?

Post by AJ01 »

The BE Executioners with 110gr of brass work great in the 16.5's. I shoot them all the time. Quarter sized or smaller groups at 40 yards.
Wyvern builds mine.
If you like the Slicks continue to shoot them!! :thumbup:

With the 125gr it will get you around 425gr. total weight.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Your biggest hurdle is that the rear nock that is glued in. If you were to buy BEAs with plastic rear nocks, you would have brass up front and you can add 30, 50 or 75 gr weights to the backside of the front inserts. Adding weighted collars under the broadhead is doable but anything past 15 gr will not allow much broadhead thread engagement.
Sell the OE arrows and buy arrows with brass inserts. The ones that BEA makes is 92 grains for a total of 275 grains but BEA additional weights can be installed without spending much money.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:25 am
Adding weighted collars under the broadhead is doable but anything past 15 gr will not allow much broadhead thread engagement.
Sell the OE arrows and buy arrows with brass inserts. The ones that BEA makes is 92 grains for a total of 275 grains but BEA additional weights can be installed without spending much money.
I'll agree with Boo on this one! The rear nock is GLUED on the Quills sent out by Excalibur. They are a MAJOR PAIN to remove without damaging the arrow shaft. 99% of the time, it's NOT worth it!
Adding weight to the backside of the broadhead can and will cause some major issues in my humble opinion, if not done judicially. It starts with the threads of the head being too short and not allowing for enough thread engagement to attach the arrowhead to the shaft securely. Placing a collar between the arrow shaft and the ferrule of the broadhead just increases the chance of failure on impact. There is a lot of torque on impact, I have actually had heads broken off on impact using aluminum inserts. Not a cool thing to happen when hunting. :thumbdown:
I now shoot nothing but brass or stainless steel.

If you are in Canada, I suggest you PM Normous (Norman) on this site and he can build you some truly wonderful arrows. I have some of Norman's custom-built arrows. They are the best! :thumbup:
If you are in the States, call Dave at "Wyvern Creations". He too can build you anything you want. Tell Dave what you need, and he will recommend arrows for you! :thumbup:
Both of these gentlemen are an absolute pleasure to deal with.

And if you do indeed buy yourself a new Micro. Contact Boo for the best string you can use on your bow!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I am a big fan of the slick tricks also and understand not wanting to change heads but you could bump up to the 150 grain Slick Trick Xbow head it is a wonderful performing head for me.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
grouse

Post by grouse »

I'm no expert, but I agree with the opinion that Black Eagle Executioners and Zombies are easier to customize than the factory arrows that come with Excals. When you buy more arrows, consider making them Black Eagles. That said, why not move up to 150 gr. slicktricks with your factory arrows, sight them in, and go hunting. They might end up a little lighter than you want, but I'll bet they shoot just fine and will blow right through a deer. I'm not convinced that a little more or less weight adds up to more kills. As long as you have enough weight to shoot safely, and you're sighted in properly, you're ready to go.

Just an opinion from a non expert.
axiom
350 SE
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Like others have said, Quills are a horrible platform to start with if you want a heavy arrow setup.

Super easy to get really heavy 16.5" arrows though once you look outside of using Quills.

Here's about the easiest way to get a heavy, high FOC 16.5": https://wyverncreations.com/excalibur-accessories/custom-500-grain-excalibur-arrows/
Last edited by wheelsquad on Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Normous

Post by Normous »

Go custom because a good custom arrowsmith can install a heavier insert between 80+ gr and up to 400 grains if you wish.
Save the Quills for a grouse at camp.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
lituani

Post by lituani »

My 16.5" BEEs tip scales around 442gr with 150gr broadheads. Spynal Tapps (as part of a xbow package buy last year) wear the same 150gr heads and come in around 462gr. Nothing heavier needed for whitetails up to 30 yards.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shoot 16” zombie slayers with 110gr brass inserts, lumenoks, blazers and 200gr VPA 3 blade broadheads. Really close to 500 gr total weight, fly like darts and plow through anything.

Oh yeah. I shoot them from my vintage gen 1 micro 335.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
adzsask

Post by adzsask »

Executioner's, 110 brass inserts, 1 1/4" screw glued into the back of the insert. With 170 grain broadhead I'm at 545 grains.
Micro 335 nightmare
boo string
wheely cheek rest
munch mount
norm arrows