Post by Archer Ontario »

Looking for recommendations for a broadhead target
I have an Excalibur Assassin 420 TD
Also what’s the best field point target for this speed as well

Thanks
wheelie

Re: Looking for Broadhead Target

Post by wheelie »

Ragbag is the best targets for field points if it is going to remain in one place. I use big commercial garbage bag on it to keep it covered year round. I have a little roof over it. Black sharpie to keep the circles bright and vibrant, Hangs on the handle area of a old treadmill I found on the side of the road. To travel I have Bulldog Pugs Plus. Quarenteed for life. Just just contact them and they send you the rebuild kits. I got kits for all mine and have not used any of them yet. I have some bigger ones as well. I also keep a couple older 3D targets out all summer that I shoot as well with broadhead and field points. I shoot from fence to my house. Industrial conveyor belts 3 or 4 inch's out from the wall hang behind everything. Only broadheads after lined up at hunting range first.

Broad heads are a different animal. Yes I have broadhead targets but broadhead beat them up pretty quickly. Best I found to check broadhead to get ready for hunting is I have a cheapie CT target that broadhead pretty much blow threw. I setup on a portable table and I have styrofoam 12 inch's thick that is used for building houses and I leave a 6 inch space between two targets, Arrows blow through first target and into styrofoam I pull the fletching threw cheapie target and push arrow out threw the styrofoam. Reinhart 18 in 1 is good but for $200+ and destroy it with broad heads is something I was not happy doing. Sometimes the inserts come lose and broadhead is buried in target for it"s life. Destroying a $50 target never bothered me for the few shots to line up bows for hunting heads.

Prices are pre-covid, who knows how much they are now! Hope this all makes sense. CHEERS!
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

Check out the article on Crossbow nation. Manufacturer Corner section, Excalibur crossbows, Cheep BH Target.

Three bags of rubber mulch in a cardboard box.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I like the Morrel High Roller foam target because:
- the size and transport weight is decent
- it stops my 450 fps arrows
- one can shoot all sides
- arrow removal isn't too hard
- I can add/paint extra dots to even out the target wearing...important.

Tip: try to shoot all the dots to even out wear and keep away from UV rays.

Its not a forever target but it works for me. On my second one to date and would buy another when this one wears.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I just use a rhinehart for both year round, at over 400fps i was tired of shooting thru things and destroying fletchings at anything other than a rhinehart.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:02 am
I like the Morrel High Roller foam target because:
- the size and transport weight is decent
- it stops my 450 fps arrows
- one can shoot all sides
- arrow removal isn't too hard
- I can add/paint extra dots to even out the target wearing...important.

Tip: try to shoot all the dots to even out wear and keep away from UV rays.

Its not a forever target but it works for me. On my second one to date and would buy another when this one wears.

I second the high roller. If hit it lots of times but I always glue e test broadhead closed and don't shoot big mechanicals into for both ot their sakes
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've got a Block 4x4, but it has a hard time with fast heavy arrows. So I wouldn't buy another if I was shooting a 380 or faster bow.

My primary broadhead target now is a Blob target. They are heavy and arrow removal isn't the easiest early on. But arrow removal gets easier with use. It has no problems stopping the fastest bows and you'll be hard pressed to find one that will outlast it. I may never have to buy another broadhead target.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

^^DH, years back I asked BLOB targets what it would cost to ship one of their targets to Ontario Canada and was quoted $235.00 USD to ship up here.
I'd hate to see that shipping quote today. :shock: :shock:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

Thank you everyone
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

rmb721 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:05 am
Check out the article on Crossbow nation. Manufacturer Corner section, Excalibur crossbows, Cheep BH Target.

Three bags of rubber mulch in a cardboard box.
This sounds like a good idea!

For broadheads, I use the blocks of styrofoam that you can get from Tractor Supply for free. They get them in as part of the shipping of their trailers.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

rhinehart 18 n 1 target for me .stops a broadhead from my 380 at point blank range ...Can. be tough to pull some arrows but no pass thru's
lituani

Post by lituani »

I've got my own home made. 24 beer can box, HARDcover book against backside, with lotsa densely stuffed jeans/cotton rags in front. Targets are 8.5x11 paper with orange dot placed in front of center of hardcover. Set it up on a stump or anything which will allow it to get knocked over by the inertia. After shot, twist arrow shaft off broadhead, slide everything out & retrieve. I sacrifice one of every type of commercial broadhead I have with assumption they will all fly the same (flame away!). Hardest part is drinking the beer s l o w l y before starting target practice. :lol: Haven't run across a more portable, or practical, broadhead target than that.