What is this "off season" that people speak of?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

What is this "off season" that people speak of?

Post by DuckHunt »

I love fishing and frying fish, but the waterways up and down the East Coast have enough contaminants that making a meal of your catch can have health consequences. If there's any question, I'll pass. Two balls is all I need and I'm not looking to grow any extras. :lol: Therefore I end up spending less time fishing than I would if I were able to partake of some of the fruits of the labor.

So in this area, I find that my hunting endeavors seem to never end. I'm either hunting, or making preparations for hunting. My lone cellular trail camera that is out has been taking plenty of deer photos and I'm starting to see some nice antler growth. The nicer bucks have the main beams out beyond their brows and I have one that is growing more out than up which is real promising. But the weeds in the old grown up logging road about 50 yards from my prime stand are beginning to put a damper on the camera's view. This afternoon I'm heading out to put up a 2nd camera and to clear the deer some easy to travel trails through the thickness directly past the camera and down the man-made trail that leads out of the thicket and directly behind the primary stand. The deer travel these trails all summer and continue to travel them into the fall. We've harvested numerous deer in the fall that have come in walking down the trails we've created for them in the summer. Much like with food plots, these off season investments can pay off later.

Are there any others out there where your hunting or hunting prep just never seems to end?
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Normous

Re: What is this "off season" that people speak of?

Post by Normous »

That's Cool DH, looks like your camera has to go higher next time out.

My wife and I were out this weekend doing some offseason work, trimming a new ladder stand site on private property we are fortunate to have permission on.

It was a bit of rewarding work but we managed to haul in a 50 pound mineral lick BLOCK plus 5 gallons mixed mineral salts/molasses/mono-calcium phosphate home mix , a recipe given to me by AJ01. It worked very well last year I might add.

The landowner is rather impressed that we take such an interest on improving the deer herd in his area.

We took it one step further this year and sowed 5 pounds of Imperial Whitetail NO - PLOW mix at the back end of his large property. With his permission of course.

To confess, I had a recent Duh moment and can't find my 2 misplaced cell cameras I put somewhere .....??
So, I expect to find them soon and get them out for entertainment next trip to the property.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Did someone say fishing! :)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image
This is the first year in ages that l didn't kill a turkey..it rained nearly every day I had off..water of a ducks back there's fish to catch..check out them nails you can be girly n fish too!
Last edited by longbow joe on Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Me n my kiddo spending quality time ....
Last edited by longbow joe on Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

It's all good we love the outdoors even the beach ..lm gonna forget about hunting till August.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Joe, them pics say a million things!! You can't buy those kinds of memories.!! :clap: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Normous wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:47 pm

It was a bit of rewarding work but we managed to haul in a 50 pound mineral lick BLOCK plus 5 gallons mixed mineral salts/molasses/mono-calcium phosphate home mix , a recipe given to me by AJ01. It worked very well last year I might add.
Norman I'm glad to hear that the mineral mix worked for you!!
I'm pretty sure that recipe can still be found here on the forum for those looking for a pretty easy to do mineral mix.

Thanks for the "shout out"!! :thumbup:

last weekend we put out 100 pounds of minerals on different places. Filled feeders and cleared shooting lanes. Now it's time to go find the air-conditioner!! It's already in the 90's here!! Summertime!!! :lol: :lol:

You need to post pics from the bear hunt!!! :mrgreen: Congrats on the Bruin! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!