Twinstrike illegal in New Hampshire

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hillcountry

Twinstrike illegal in New Hampshire

Post by Hillcountry »

Didn’t know this and had thought of buying one…good thing I didn’t I guess?
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
agingcrossbower

Re: Twinstrike illegal in New Hampshire

Post by agingcrossbower »

I would suspect that more states will realize that primitive archery consists of one arrow and ultimately one shot. Lets keep it primitive. Look what happened to the muzzleloaders.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

agingcrossbower wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:36 am
I would suspect that more states will realize that primitive archery consists of one arrow and ultimately one shot. Lets keep it primitive. Look what happened to the muzzleloaders.
What happened to the muzzleloaders?
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

agingcrossbower wrote:
You got the right idea, :thumbup:
lets keep it primitive :clap:

Dave :eusa-think:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I can understand where they are coming from with the regulation, but I'm not sure I agree with it. It's not like you're going to kill a herd of deer because you have a second shot. My ExoMax harvested four deer in one day, two each for two hunters. And they were all harvested just like the they would be with a Twinstrike, one shot at a time. I fired three shots out of a stand at the same doe with a Micro 335 with the longest shot being 35 yards and all three shots were fired before she ever went out of range. Having a quick follow up 2nd shot doesn't guarantee anything.

Many muzzleloader states have a similar restriction that makes double barrel muzzleloaders illegal. I don't know why. If someone wants to carry significantly more weight all of the time and clean two barrels, just to have a faster follow up shot, then I say more power to them. Why should I restrict their hunt just because I'm content with half the work?

I lump this type of regulation in the same bucket as the one where states that will not allow you to have a gun and bow in the woods at the same time. Squirrel season and deer season run concurrently in a lot of places. Why can't I bag a mess of squirrels with a 22LR early in the morning while I'm in my stand bow hunting for deer that tend to show up in late morning? Virginia has an early antlerless gun deer season in certain counties. The last few years, I've actually hunted this entire month long rifle season with my crossbow. Even though it is gun season and squirrel season is also in, I can't take a 22LR with me to shoot the squirrels because I can't have a gun and bow afield together. They don't even make an exception for gun deer season. Fifty years ago, when it may have been easier to kill a deer with a 22LR than with the archery gear available at that time, the rule of not allowing a gun and bow afield at the same time may have made sense. But the rule makes very little sense to me today other than to restrict what would otherwise be legal hunting opportunities.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
agingcrossbower

DuckHunt wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:26 pm
I can understand where they are coming from with the regulation, but I'm not sure I agree with it. It's not like you're going to kill a herd of deer because you have a second shot. My ExoMax harvested four deer in one day, two each for two hunters. And they were all harvested just like the they would be with a Twinstrike, one shot at a time. I fired three shots out of a stand at the same doe with a Micro 335 with the longest shot being 35 yards and all three shots were fired before she ever went out of range. Having a quick follow up 2nd shot doesn't guarantee anything.

Many muzzleloader states have a similar restriction that makes double barrel muzzleloaders illegal. I don't know why. If someone wants to carry significantly more weight all of the time and clean two barrels, just to have a faster follow up shot, then I say more power to them. Why should I restrict their hunt just because I'm content with half the work?

I lump this type of regulation in the same bucket as the one where states that will not allow you to have a gun and bow in the woods at the same time. Squirrel season and deer season run concurrently in a lot of places. Why can't I bag a mess of squirrels with a 22LR early in the morning while I'm in my stand bow hunting for deer that tend to show up in late morning? Virginia has an early antlerless gun deer season in certain counties. The last few years, I've actually hunted this entire month long rifle season with my crossbow. Even though it is gun season and squirrel season is also in, I can't take a 22LR with me to shoot the squirrels because I can't have a gun and bow afield together. They don't even make an exception for gun deer season. Fifty years ago, when it may have been easier to kill a deer with a 22LR than with the archery gear available at that time, the rule of not allowing a gun and bow afield at the same time may have made sense. But the rule makes very little sense to me today other than to restrict what would otherwise be legal hunting opportunities.
My hat is off to you sir being able to reload a crossbow in the stand undetected for multiple shots. Lots of people can not do that. Anyway, my concern is technology ruining a great primitive sport. Technology is great BUT it slowly erodes the whole concept of primitive. Look what happened to the vertical bow. Today's vertical bow has little to do with the skill it took to achieve accuracy with a stick bow. Yes, times are changing and maybe it is just me, but I guess I am a romantic when it comes to that arch of the arrow. Remember ARCH is part of ARCHery. Try to preserve it. :)
agingcrossbower

Carnivorous wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:02 pm
agingcrossbower wrote:
I don't follow it that closely but today's muzzleloaders are far more accurate than the original ones. Today's muzzleloader and Daniel Boones are not the same gun at all.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

agingcrossbower wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:09 am
Carnivorous wrote:
agingcrossbower wrote:
I don't follow it that closely but today's muzzleloaders are far more accurate than the original ones. Today's muzzleloader and Daniel Boones are not the same gun at all.
More accurate = less wounded deer. I see that as a positive not a negative. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
agingcrossbower

Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:46 am
agingcrossbower wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:09 am
Carnivorous wrote:

More accurate = less wounded deer. I see that as a positive not a negative. :)
Yes, that is always the reply. So why mess around and use cluster bombs or heat seeking broadheads. More accurate and less wounded deer. It is a primitive sport going the way of technology because it is EASIER.
grouse

Post by grouse »

I'm not against technology but the charm of "primitive" weapons disappears with technological advancements. Muzzleloader season should just become single shot rifle season because today's muzzleloaders have become another type of modern rifle. The old recurves shooting cedar arrows have been replaced by compound bows and crossbows that get better every year.

I like the new equipment and don't fault anyone for using it. That said, the concept of primitive and the perception that people who use primitive weapons are better hunters, is becoming a fading memory. The goosd news - we have more toys than ever.
axiom
350 SE
agingcrossbower

grouse wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:44 am
I'm not against technology but the charm of "primitive" weapons disappears with technological advancements. Muzzleloader season should just become single shot rifle season because today's muzzleloaders have become another type of modern rifle. The old recurves shooting cedar arrows have been replaced by compound bows and crossbows that get better every year.

I like the new equipment and don't fault anyone for using it. That said, the concept of primitive and the perception that people who use primitive weapons are better hunters, is becoming a fading memory. The goosd news - we have more toys than ever.
Could not agree more Grouse. :thumbup:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

agingcrossbower wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:05 am
My hat is off to you sir being able to reload a crossbow in the stand undetected for multiple shots. Lots of people can not do that. Anyway, my concern is technology ruining a great primitive sport. Technology is great BUT it slowly erodes the whole concept of primitive. Look what happened to the vertical bow. Today's vertical bow has little to do with the skill it took to achieve accuracy with a stick bow. Yes, times are changing and maybe it is just me, but I guess I am a romantic when it comes to that arch of the arrow. Remember ARCH is part of ARCHery. Try to preserve it. :)
I absolutely agree. That's why I will be taking to the woods on opening day this year, of a gun antlerless only hunt mind you, with a vertical stick and string (aka struggle stick) while donning my hunter orange. It will be the most primitive weapon I've ever tried to harvest a deer with. But even then, I'm still cheating from true traditional archery because I'll be using carbon arrows though they look like wood. I'll also be using a modern fixed two-blade broadhead and not something more primitive. It's all a trade off.

A handful of years ago West Virginia introduced a Heritage deer season. Legal weapons are recurve or long bows and muzzleloaders that are either side-lock percussion or flintlock with only iron sights. I really like the idea of this season. But they totally screwed it up by running it for four days in mid-January, long after the other deer seasons are over. By then, far less deer are alive and you can see a deer 250 yards away in the bare typically snow covered landscape. If they wanted to give those primitive weapons a chance, at least run the season when there is foliage to hide both the deer and the hunter so folks can close the distance. A primitive weapons only deer season should be the first season of the year, not the last. Then they need only decide on what constitutes a primitive weapon.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

You and I seem very similar. I too have gone tbe stick bow route. Shooting a recurve. What’s your bow and arrow setup? I’m shooting black Eagle traditional carbons with VPA 300 gr 3 blades with 4” feathers. Weigh over 600 gr total. My bow only pulls 50 ish at my draw weight. It’s a Timberhawk custom Strike. Been shooting it for 2 yrs. This is the third. VERY addicting. As Fred Bear said….nothing clears a mind like shooting a bow.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

nchunterkw wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:49 pm
You and I seem very similar. I too have gone tbe stick bow route. Shooting a recurve. What’s your bow and arrow setup? I’m shooting black Eagle traditional carbons with VPA 300 gr 3 blades with 4” feathers. Weigh over 600 gr total. My bow only pulls 50 ish at my draw weight. It’s a Timberhawk custom Strike. Been shooting it for 2 yrs. This is the third. VERY addicting. As Fred Bear said….nothing clears a mind like shooting a bow.
I'm also shooting a recurve. I've got a PSE Nighthawk 50# that pulls about 45# at my draw length. My arrows are crested Easton Carbon Legacys with 4" helical feathers. I've added some brass up front to my arrows so they weigh about 507 grains with a 100gr tip. I've got some generic but sharp 1.25" two blade broadheads for it. I may step up to some 150 or 200gr heads in the future.

It is both therapeutic and aggravating shooting the struggle stick. Nothing is more satisfying that releasing an arrow perfectly and seeing it fly with precision to the ten ring. But, for now, releasing that perfect arrow is quite the challenge. I'm deadly at 10 yards. 20 yards I'm fair. With my setup, a 30 yard deer is safe. I hung a stand yesterday in the middle of a thicket in a travel corridor. I can't see very far at all, which makes it a great location for this bow. I guess the most satisfying thing is knowing that whenever an arrow doesn't fly like you wanted it to, the problem is almost always the shooter. The equipment is so minimal. You entirely own the accuracy of each arrow. If you make any mistakes, the accuracy of your arrow will show it. You do have to clear your mind and concentrate on every little detail to be accurate consistently.

It surely helps you appreciate the speed and energy of the crossbows. My recurve is sending arrows downrange in the 160fps range. Shot placement is paramount when dealing with the energy limitations.