Hunting camera

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinsons Rebel

Hunting camera

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Anybody using some cheap action cams that they can recommend? Planning on using just in the tree stand so to speak so I don't need anything super expensive.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
wheelsquad

Re: Hunting camera

Post by wheelsquad »

Here's 3 deer killed by my brother using Tactacam Solo Xtreme on his Micro 355. Gets pretty good quality for a $150 camera.

https://youtu.be/d7KS481XRNg
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I agree that the Tactacam cameras are pretty good for what they do.

They make some higher cost options with higher resolution and frame rate, but the cheapest version they make is good deal. Below are videos taken with a Tactacam Solo Hunter attached to an Excalibur.

https://youtu.be/iDmYHWCSeK0?si=v4EqD_kf9CfbR4OS
https://youtu.be/rBhjWDHreiM?si=717Q71XTILAhLQeE

The Solo Hunter retails for $149. You can occasionally find it at Walmart. You can pick one up on eBay for $130-140 US. The nice thing about the Solo Hunter package is that it comes with all of the mounts you need. There is one that allows you to easily mount it to the scope rail on your Excalibur. It slides right under the scope and screws down to the rail. You also get a gun mount and a vertical bow stabilizer mount. Some of the mounts retail for almost $50 by themselves, so the package is a good deal.

Using it couldn't be simpler. Press a single button to turn it on and start recording. Press it again to stop, long press to turn it back off. It's all good until you notice after the shot that you forgot to turn it on. :eusa-doh:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

DuckHunt wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:56 pm
I agree that the Tactacam cameras are pretty good for what they do.

They make some higher cost options with higher resolution and frame rate, but the cheapest version they make is good deal. Below are videos taken with a Tactacam Solo Hunter attached to an Excalibur.

https://youtu.be/iDmYHWCSeK0?si=v4EqD_kf9CfbR4OS
https://youtu.be/rBhjWDHreiM?si=717Q71XTILAhLQeE

The Solo Hunter retails for $149. You can occasionally find it at Walmart. You can pick one up on eBay for $130-140 US. The nice thing about the Solo Hunter package is that it comes with all of the mounts you need. There is one that allows you to easily mount it to the scope rail on your Excalibur. It slides right under the scope and screws down to the rail. You also get a gun mount and a vertical bow stabilizer mount. Some of the mounts retail for almost $50 by themselves, so the package is a good deal.

Using it couldn't be simpler. Press a single button to turn it on and start recording. Press it again to stop, long press to turn it back off. It's all good until you notice after the shot that you forgot to turn it on. :eusa-doh:
The Solo Xtreme they came out with in 2022 has taken the place of the Solo Hunter. Many many more features, but for the same price. Can be found for $150 all day long. Basically has all the features the 5.0 had, but even better image stabilization. If I remember correctly the original Solo Hunter only had one operable mode, and it was set at 3X zoom and 30 frames per second. The Solo Xtreme can have 3 different modes all programmed to your liking, any combination possible with 3X to 8X zoom, 30 fps to 120 fps, Image Stabilization on/off, etc. Also works with the Remote. My first Tactacam was a 4.0 and paid over $200 for it. This Solo Xtreme is twice the camera my 4.0 is, and three times the camera a Solo Hunter is. The Solo Xtreme release kind of flew under the radar cause it came out when the 6.0 did, and was also originally plagued by poor firmware. But now that they have had new firmware out since March of this year, it's been an awesome crossbow mounted camera.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I have the solo extreme it's a great camera and works great if you have time to turn it on... 😀
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Robinsons Rebel

I was looking more like Akaso Brave 4 series but do agree that the Tactacam is a better camera. Guess I should just spend the extra money and be done with it. I'll change my mind 10 times before I order anything!!
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
janesy

Post by janesy »

I have the 6.0. And it's awesome.

BUT it couldn't be further from plug and play. I have no idea how to use it 3/4 of the time
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Robinsons Rebel

Tactacam does have a mount to fit a one-inch diameter scope tube, don't they? I don't know if I would use their under the barrel mount option on my rifles unless ya'll show me the error of my ways. I use a one-piece scope mount, so I don't have rails on my rifles. I know they have a mount that will fit my Excalibur. Also, does anybody use a Tactacam for anything other than hunting?
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
janesy

Post by janesy »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:19 pm
Tactacam does have a mount to fit a one-inch diameter scope tube, don't they? I don't know if I would use their under the barrel mount option on my rifles unless ya'll show me the error of my ways. I use a one-piece scope mount, so I don't have rails on my rifles. I know they have a mount that will fit my Excalibur. Also, does anybody use a Tactacam for anything other than hunting?
I strapped the 3.0 to my kids head to record an Easter egg hunt. All I got from that was motion sickness.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:19 pm
If you can get picatinny ring caps for your 1-piece scope mount, then you can use the picatinny mount for the tactacam. I like this setup much better than the under-scope rail mount tactacam typically says is for crossbow. Here's my setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47XSckx09Os

Sorry if you get motion sickness from watching that one. That's just how I roll. Literally.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360