It takes a special kind of crazy.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

It takes a special kind of crazy.

Post by DuckHunt »

...to hunt in this heat. My Saturday morning was cut real short by my son bagging two from the Killing Tree with his rifle 10 minutes after sunrise. It was too hot to consider an afternoon hunt. This morning it's a sticky 73F degrees. I'm in the Killing Tree 50 minutes before sunrise and look like I just walked out of a sauna. We could use some rain and cooler weather. I'd take them in either order.

Good luck to those braving the elements at the early end of the season.
Last edited by DuckHunt on Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
retrieverman

Re: It takes a special kind of crazy.

Post by retrieverman »

I feel your pain. I hunt in Texas and Oklahoma, so I’m used to sweating and swatting mosquitoes during archery season.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

If I lived there I’d be out hunting too. You never know when you get shut down. I hunt every opportunity I get.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I told my wife the other day when we had 20 plus days in a row of over 100 degrees that if it was hunting season that I would be goofy and out there hunting. Down here in the south you have to take what mother nature gives you. I kind of chuckle when I read sometimes that its 70 degrees and too hot to hunt. I would like to hunt in the snow one day but wouldn't want to live in it!
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Season opens here September 30th. I'll bet you a "dollar to a donut whole" that it will be 80 degrees that morning and near 100 be evening!!
Good luck to all who brave the HEAT!!! :mrgreen:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

I just checked the latest forecast for our opening day (Sept. 15). It calls for a low of 53 and a high of 78. That's better than most years and I hope it doesn't change. I intend hunt a stand that is down low near a creek. Calm mornings tend to be a little cooler there and it could easily be in the upper 40s. That would be nice. I haven't worn a jacket on opening morning (that I can remember) ever.
axiom
350 SE
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:16 pm
Down here in the south you have to take what mother nature gives you. I kind of chuckle when I read sometimes that its 70 degrees and too hot to hunt.
That is so true. In some locations the hunting seasons aren't as generous and you either dance when the song is playing or you don't dance at all. If your one week of gun season happens to be filled with unseasonably warm weather and a full moon, there's not much you can do but grin and bear it.

My primary concern when hunting in the heat is that the recovery options become a bit more limited. When it is cool, you can opt to wait all day or overnight before taking up the trail on a questionable hit. When the 73F degree morning will be approaching 100F after lunch, that's not always an option.

It's weeks like this when my trash collector earns his Christmas bonus. :lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:16 pm
I told my wife the other day when we had 20 plus days in a row of over 100 degrees that if it was hunting season that I would be goofy and out there hunting. Down here in the south you have to take what mother nature gives you. I kind of chuckle when I read sometimes that its 70 degrees and too hot to hunt. I would like to hunt in the snow one day but wouldn't want to live in it!
For myself and other hunters I know, 70 isn't too warm for us but it's too warm for the deer to come out during legal hours. By the time October comes around the deer have accumulated fat and thicker hair ready for colder weather and unseasonable temps keep them nocturnal.
Really cold temps make them eat more. Snow is great because it is easier to see them and see as well as follow trails, especially blood trails.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Supposed to be 78° in the morning. I’m going scouting. I drew a tag on one of the area lakes. I have hunted it before so I’m not starting at zero, but want a look-see. Won’t stay after it starts warming up.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:29 pm
Supposed to be 78° in the morning. I’m going scouting. I drew a tag on one of the area lakes. I have hunted it before so I’m not starting at zero, but want a look-see. Won’t stay after it starts warming up.
We had thunderstorms and RAIN last night!! :wtf: :lol: :mrgreen:
Was 70 this morning! Supposed to be 67 come Sunday morning!!
Supposed to be cooler all next week!!

So far, I haven't been drawn for anything! Still holding out hope for Powderhorn WMA. :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flightattendant100

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:44 am

So far, I haven't been drawn for anything! Still holding out hope for Powderhorn WMA. :thumbup:
I went early and sat on a 3legged stool for a couple of hours after daylight. Saw a few does and fawns. Temp was fine with the East wind.? Could see someone east of Benbrook getting a storm. Lots of lightning.
flightattendant100

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:44 am

Got an eMail yesterday that Colton snd I got drawn on lake Grapevine also. The Benbrook draw is for a 2 week window. The Grapevine draw is for the whole season.