Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

artifact

Scope

Post by artifact »

I was just checking out if a Tact Zone scope was still zeroed when I thought of something that I always check on rifle scopes, but never did on the crossbow scopes. While looking through the scope and nodding "yes" (up and down), and then "no" (side to side), the crosshairs moved quite a bit, I have rifle scopes where they barely move when doing that and have returned rifle scopes that have excessive movement like I'm describing, sometimes quite a bit of the movement can be eliminated with the focus, I tried that.
Is this considered normal in these scopes, and am I being too picky, I learned to do that check from benchrest shooters, maybe It's not that critical on the typical crossbow ranges, but it definitely will affect accuracy to some degree, hopefully someone on here knows what I'm talking about, it's not a commonly known thing to check on a scope.
xcaliber

Re: Scope

Post by xcaliber »

The scopes are good, but not great. Like shocks & pipes on a motorcycle, one of the first upgrades most folks make. Shoot it, if it works great, don't turn your head around. :lol: :lol:

Good luck, shoot it and make sure it's go to go with the proper arrows, and fill your tag.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
artifact

Post by artifact »

I did upgrade to a Hawke scope on my primary Matrix 380, and then mounted the Tact Zone it came with on a backup Matrix 380 that I bought used without a scope. Guess I need to live with the "good but not great" if I want to hunt with it or put a better scope for it.
I was surprised at how much movement was in the crosshairs when I did the test, probably the worse of any scope I have ever owned and am curious if they are all like that or if I just have one that's an exception! :roll:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I had one behave like this in the past, and just accepted the fact that the scope is one place to save money on the new Excalibur bows. I have always liked the features of their scopes but…
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

What you're observing is parallax. My Tact 100 has bad parallax at any distance. Gotta really keep eye alignment perfect to be able to shoot consistently with it. My Hawke and Vortex scopes have much more forgiving parallax.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
artifact

Post by artifact »

OK, I'm old and suffering from CRS! :lol:
I found another Tact Zone scope that I forgot I had, so apparently the second 380 was scoped when I bought it :eusa-doh:, the other Tact Zone scope doesn't have anywhere near the parallax that's evident in the one I posted about, SO, looks like I'll just mount that one and keep the other one as a spare. It's on a backup bow so good enough is OK, or I could also just switch scopes and put the Hawke scope on it if needed.
Thanks wheelsquad and xcaliber, good to know that I'm not the only one who ended up with a scope with less than desirable parallax, at least one of the two has very minimal parallax which I can easily live with.