Catfish heads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Catfish heads

Post by longbow joe »

I hunt along the tidal delaware river about 10 years ago once in a while a bald eagle would fly by and we would woo and wow ...
Now the things are literally everywhere.
Yesterday morning I was trimming one of my favorite deer stands along the river and the whole area had a foul odor ..I thought a dead deer was near my stand but upon inspection under a tree about 20 yards away was a pile of giant catfish heads that were the remaining bits of the eagles past meals 😳.
There were many catfish heads and the spine hanging picked clean.
The deer activity seems normal but I hope the white
headed wonders find another eating tree location as I was trimming they were actually bringing new meals into the tree totally unafraid of my presence.
Always something new every year to deal with.
WHAAATS NEXT!!! It's the year of the eating tree!!!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
AJ01

Re: Catfish heads

Post by AJ01 »

Many years ago, I built a house on a major creek that feeds the Brazos River. I had 2 big Cottonwood trees on the backside of the property.
First year I was there, I noticed a pair of very large "birds" starting to build a nest one spring. They weren't Bald Eagles, they were Mexican Eagles, Caracaras. Beautiful birds. They can back every year and nested in that tree.
Joe that might be their new feeding station.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I agree AJ last year l stumbled on a tree with literally hundreds of bones under it about 700 yards away l think that they just moved the dining room area upstream to me.
No I'm thinking might be a good coyote hunting spot also with all these "scraps on the floor ".
I'm gonna give it a sit a few evenings next week and see what it happens.
Now this week is gonna be hot again doubt if l will hunt.
I filled out my required doe tag Saturday so I'm free to buck hunt now I'm gonna take it nice and slow we only get one buck tag here.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Post by grouse »

We used to only see eagles in the winter. The water above the locks and dams on the Mississippi would freeze and the turbines in the dams would stun fish coming out of the flowing water below the dams. (Mostly migratory) eagles would come down to feed on the stunned fish. Now we have eagles year round. When I kill and gut a deer out in a harvested crop field, eagles often come to feed on what is left. They can be seen feasting on road kill occasionally. We see them sitting in trees and flying over routinely. A few years ago, the owner of a nearby farm had an eagle swoop down and fly off with an expensive turkey decoy. They also take an occasional chicken. Despite the (few) problems they cause, I'm glad they're back!
axiom
350 SE