Information Request

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shona

Information Request

Post by shona »

Hi Guys,
Firstly I would like to say Thank's for allowing me to join your Forum.
My name is shona and I was previously a member over 14 yrs ago and I dropped off the crossbow scene as life took me down another path.

A few days ago, I dug out my old 04/05 200lb Exomag from the attic and I now want to give this old boy a makeover before bringing it back into service.
I know that there are still some of you Exo devotees out there and I was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to give me some pointers for upgrading this fine old crossbow. In all these years, it has fired no more than 20 bolts and the only upgrade it's seen was a Flemish string replacement which I did by choice rather than necessity. One such improvement that has caught my eye is this Anti Dry-Fire setup I've seen advertised on newer models. Can anyone tell me if this was ever available or adaptable for my model please.
Any helpful info would be much appreciated.

Thanks Again
shona
gerald strine

Re: Information Request

Post by gerald strine »

Welcome Shona.
Your ExoMag is a fine bow and will still get the job done today as well as in the past and is one of the most relabel Crossbows ever made.
The newer bows are smaller and the speeds have gone up a bit but all that comes with a cost of one form or another.
You have a classic bow to be proud of.
I would start buy checking the condition of the string is it dried out, stretched out It may be a good idea to replace it just for the age of it,
You will want to check the brace height your model most likely has a dash mark on the rail for reference their are how to videos on this subject.
If the bow were mine I would keep it basic just have string stops / bumper's I like Danney millers but the factory ones are fine and the Dr Bumpers are very good but make it hard to keep tabs on brace height.
I will not go into scopes but will say the factory scopes kill deer all day long at reasonable bow range .
if you want to buy a upgrade for your bow I would invest my money in good bolts if you are in Canada get some from Norm on the sight trading post .
Or the Black Eagle Executioners are very popular with brass inserts up front.
A internet search for Wyverns will get you what you need.
I do not go for a lot of add on stuff on my bows just my way.
I hope this was helpful and hope to see more post from you.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

There is only one ADF and it will fit. Read this info in the link below.
https://excaliburcrossbow.com/accessories/guardian-adf-scope-mount/
I am not 100% on the string bumpers. I think you have a cast riser which would negate that accessory. It would be best to speak to Danny Miller @740 483 2312 Danny knows the Excalibur bows better than anyone else.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome back. The one thing i hear from all the folks who have been long time Excalibur owners is: the one bow that they miss the most is their Exomag.

Only advice i can give is to perhaps not store your crossbow in the attic. High temps and limbs dont get along.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
shona

Post by shona »

Many Thanks to those members who have replied to my info request, I really appreciate it.
I too, have noticed the love and affection that some of the older forum members here have expressed in relation to their Exomags so, I think I made the right decision with my initial purchase.

Before storing it in the attic, it was disassembled and de-strung and stored in its original Excalibur cloth bag so, I thought that would be enough to protect it. Unfortunately, though it seems to have suffered from a temperature issue in there because my dissipator bar bushes have just turned to mush :shock:.
New pads are on route FOC after speaking to Dawn at Excaliburs Customer Services ( Fantastic Service and Very Much Appreciated.)

These are the inner/thinner blocks located closest to the rail as I had left them in place when I removed the larger blocks/pads before storing the bow. As mentioned previously, my string was a New Flemish one only having fired around 20 shots max! On inspection, it's looking fine and it's showing no sign of having dried out after being stored for so long. If it's still advisable to replace it though, I'm happy to do so as it's no big expense. An initial look over my limbs shows them to be fine but I will give them a closer inspection once the bow's been strung obviously and hopefully it won't blow up in the process aye!
I can see the benefits of the ADF feature although I accept that it would be nice to keep the bow original as expressed by one member here so, that thought will remain on the back burner for now.
Thanks again all, for the helpful info /advice.

shona
Normous

Post by Normous »

For sure I would replace a string that old.
Bow string material is not a forever material when exposed to tempature and humidity changes during storage.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
shona

Post by shona »

I think your right about replacing the string so I have one on order.
Appreciate the updated advice.
Thanks
shona