Great-nowhere to hunt now

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Reinyrooster

Great-nowhere to hunt now

Post by Reinyrooster »

had an unfortunate situation pop up yesterday.......hunting buddy and I sitting in our trucks at the edge of the field waiting for it to get a little light out and a car pulls up behind us. Ends up it's the owner of the next property over and she's upset because apparently one of our ground blinds was on her property. When we set up, there is what is left of an old fence running through the bush that was the property line.....where we set up should have put us at least 8' on the correct side of the line......well apparently we were wrong on the blind was right on the property line......so she had taken down the blind ( unfortunately didn't know how so she took it apart), took my chair and trail camera. The camera was NOT on her property. At least she didn't trash the stuff. We spent time calming her down and apologizing. When you're wrong, you apologize.
So my hunting buddy went over later and retrieved all of our stuff but not since they are neighbours, the landowner where we had been properly hunting on wants to keep a good relationship with that neighbour so......we are out.
So I have the entire week off to hunt and no property to hunt on.......guess I'll get some yard work done.
Boo

Re: Great-nowhere to hunt now

Post by Boo »

Go back to the woman with gifts in hand, apologize profusely again and ask if she can see it in her heart to reverse the land owner’s position. You’re second best answer is no. What do you have to lose?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Hunting private or public land bordering someone else's property can be tricky. You are at the mercy of the owner's perceptions of you and their life changes.

A buddy of mine lost his hunting ground after helping out an elderly rancher with his chores for quite a while. He pitched in to bail hay, feed cattle, etc. Old man died and his daughter kicked him off the ranch and was not pleasant about it either. Looked like she thought since she now owned the ranch, she was someone very special.

The property I hunted for several years in NE Oklahoma was always up in the air. The owner was very fickle, so you were always one rant from getting kicked off the property.

After years of putting up with this I finally found a strip of Corps of Engineer's public hunting land on a river. Had it all to myself and it had a lot of deer on it. No hassles or stress.

Good luck finding a new spot. Don't give up. Remember the most unlikely areas can hold a lot of deer.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I know the feeling. Land owners sons ended it for me. On the bright side I had a great season with the properties I still have permission on.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:36 am
Go back to the woman with gifts in hand, apologize profusely again and ask if she can see it in her heart to reverse the land owner’s position. You’re second best answer is no. What do you have to lose?
Yep! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I had a neighbor who had/has 100 acres of land that she let no one hunt, EVER! (She has since passed away about 5 years ago). Anyway, her husband had passed in 2015. Since she was an elderly lady, so I began to mow her yard and do upkeep around her house. She tried on several occasions to pay me, but I told her "No".
Then one day I'm out in the yard, she pulls in and ask me if I'm busy, of course I told her no. She says, get in!! I ask her where we going, and being her usual self, she said "just get in and hush"!! :lol:
Off we go, we end up at the 100 acres she owns. She proceeds to tell me that the land is tied up in a "perpetual trust", (I had to look that up later), but seems it can't be sold for 3 or 4 generations. In other words, only the great grandkids could sell it.
She then told me no one had been on that property in years. And then said, "You can hunt it if you want". :wtf:

Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity. Place has been a treasure trove of deer and hogs. The owner told me to "treat it like it was mine".
Well, sadly Raynell passed, and the property went to her only child, a daughter. I was expecting to be booted off the property, but the daughter came to me and told me, "Since you treated my mother so kindly and did so much for her, I want you to stay on the place. I won't bother you, and I'll let you do whatever you want out there. You can stay as long as you like".

I said all of that to just say this, sometimes a little kindness to someone goes a long way. You might be surprised to find out just how many doors that simple gesture will open.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:51 am
I had a neighbor who had/has 100 acres of land that she let no one hunt, EVER! (She has since passed away about 5 years ago). Anyway, her husband had passed in 2015. Since she was an elderly lady, so I began to mow her yard and do upkeep around her house. She tried on several occasions to pay me, but I told her "No".
Then one day I'm out in the yard, she pulls in and ask me if I'm busy, of course I told her no. She says, get in!! I ask her where we going, and being her usual self, she said "just get in and hush"!! :lol:
Off we go, we end up at the 100 acres she owns. She proceeds to tell me that the land is tied up in a "perpetual trust", (I had to look that up later), but seems it can't be sold for 3 or 4 generations. In other words, only the great grandkids could sell it.
She then told me no one had been on that property in years. And then said, "You can hunt it if you want". :wtf:

Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity. Place has been a treasure trove of deer and hogs. The owner told me to "treat it like it was mine".
Well, sadly Raynell passed, and the property went to her only child, a daughter. I was expecting to be booted off the property, but the daughter came to me and told me, "Since you treated my mother so kindly and did so much for her, I want you to stay on the place. I won't bother you, and I'll let you do whatever you want out there. You can stay as long as you like".

I said all of that to just say this, sometimes a little kindness to someone goes a long way. You might be surprised to find out just how many doors that simple gesture will open.
Random acts of kindness can change the world.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

I have rules I follow without exception I treat the property I have permission to hunt on .

1.No blind or stand within approximately 100 yds of the property lines.
Logic: Avoid adjacent Landowner disputes ( keep the peace).
( Proper shot placement which is not really an issue with an excalibur so most deer I have shot with very very few exceptions tend to go no further than 100 yds)
3. Maintain contact with landowner as much as possible. (give a quick call inadvance of days hunting)
4. Revisit permission each and every year.
( I am surprised by the number of hunters I come across that assume their permission is perpetual year after year without a thought otherwise)
5. Share whatever I harvest off the property with the landowner.
6. Keep the property neat.
7. Report any abnormal activity to the Landowner.
8. Make an effort to maintain a good contact with the locals.
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Well we kissed up to the old girl but the landowner of the property that we hunt on is more concerned with keeping her( his neighbour) happy so we're done there.
We now have another property to hunt not far from there so we're gonna give it a try on Thursday.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Very happy to hear you have another hunting ground, here's hoping you connect this week!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

we all lose our property eventually. i had a great place that me and my dad had hunted on since the 80's, lost it in 2021. someone offered the land owner big money to hunt there and he accepted. so now i am enjoying the benefits of public land, slobs hunting from my stands and leaving garbage under them and in the parking lot, last night i thought was going to be a perfect evening public land hunt, until the bird hunters showed up with the dogs and bells on their collars ran off every living thing in my little section of woods.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

I feel blessed to OWN, the property that i hunt on, :thumbup:
Nobody tells me what, when or were to go... :D
plenty deer too :clap:

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Normous

Post by Normous »

colouredchameleon wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:18 am
I have rules I follow without exception I treat the property I have permission to hunt on .

1.No blind or stand within approximately 100 yds of the property lines.
Logic: Avoid adjacent Landowner disputes ( keep the peace).
( Proper shot placement which is not really an issue with an excalibur so most deer I have shot with very very few exceptions tend to go no further than 100 yds)
3. Maintain contact with landowner as much as possible. (give a quick call inadvance of days hunting)
4. Revisit permission each and every year.
( I am surprised by the number of hunters I come across that assume their permission is perpetual year after year without a thought otherwise)
5. Share whatever I harvest off the property with the landowner.
6. Keep the property neat.
7. Report any abnormal activity to the Landowner.
8. Make an effort to maintain a good contact with the locals.
Excellent personal rules!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

papabear1 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:42 pm

Dave
Yes Sir, nothing beats your OWN piece of dirt!!
I've tried to instill that in all our kids. Buy Dirt!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:54 pm
papabear1 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:42 pm

Dave
Yes Sir, nothing beats your OWN piece of dirt!!
I've tried to instill that in all our kids. Buy Dirt!! :thumbup:
Absolutely, you're a wise man to instil that into your kids! Any money sitting in a bank or any kind of investment is likely losing value. I look at my registered retirement investments and they have tanked over the last 5 years. Yet any land I bought is worth much, much more and I can build or do anything I want just like you knowing that I'll never fall victim to someone else's whim.