Shim Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

Re: Shim Scope

Post by Carnivorous »

I have used a 20moa cantaliever scope mount on my Excalibur bow when I have run out of vertical adjustment.

Shimming scope rings can damage the scope tube...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:25 pm
With an open mind…… how about sight in at 20, then shoot using 30 yrs. chevron and SEE where you are zero. It may be 27 or 26 but who cares . My deer don’t come out in increments of 10. 40 yrs might be34 or 35. Who cares if it is 20-30-40 jmho( but me thinks y’all are overthinking’)
How come with a cross bow we have to approach this idea with an open mind or risk being run off the forum for not using magic chevrons... But the rifle community advertises this right on the box of ammo and nobody know of any other way to do it? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I zero at 27 yards for deer and 20 for bear. No thinking required.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:03 pm
flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:25 pm
With an open mind…… how about sight in at 20, then shoot using 30 yrs. chevron and SEE where you are zero. It may be 27 or 26 but who cares . My deer don’t come out in increments of 10. 40 yrs might be34 or 35. Who cares if it is 20-30-40 jmho( but me thinks y’all are overthinking’)
How come with a cross bow we have to approach this idea with an open mind or risk being run off the forum for not using magic chevrons... But the rifle community advertises this right on the box of ammo and nobody know of any other way to do it? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I zero at 27 yards for deer and 20 for bear. No thinking required.
I spent many years of my life with a 500 yard zero and mildots to make corrections.
And a good spotter!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But Chris, you are absolutely correct. :thumbup:
The game of long-range rifle is played out every day by guys who given a crossbow to shoot, sweat about anything over 20 yards. It's psychological. We have been told repeatedly by manufacturers that you HAVE to dial your bow in at these ranges. And that's where, and I hate to use the term, but we get brainwashed into thinking this or that is what we have to have in order to be successful.

I go somewhere to hunt. I get settled in, and I range the terrain around me. Then I put my rangefinder away. If it's under thirty I put it here, over, there. Back in my day, we used to make "range cards". We kept a log. If you were ever back in that area again, you simply pulled out your log, looked for that location and you had all the info you needed.
The rest of the job was up to you.

Kind of the same way I see it with a bow.

Just my 2 cents worth. :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!