Shim Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

forrest-hunter

Shim Scope

Post by forrest-hunter »

Mag Air with Overland Scope shooting low 6 inches at 30 yds - fps does not move crosshairs up very much- told to shim scope - do I still set fps ring at 305 at 20 yds after adding shim to front of scope-
Boo

Re: Shim Scope

Post by Boo »

What weight arrow are you using and can you zero the scope at 20 yards. Can you provide a link to the scope you're using?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
forrest-hunter

Post by forrest-hunter »

OVERWATCH™ ILLUMINATED SCOPE - 425gr bolt
Boo

Post by Boo »

The arrow weight and resulting speeds effect the scope settings so you cannot rely on those numbers on the "speed ring".
Zero the scope at 20 yards with the center crosshairs. Ignore the numbers on the speed ring.
Next set up 2 targets, one on top of the other and have an aiming point like a piece of masking tape near the top of the upper target.
Back off to 30 yards and hold the scope center crosshairs on the upper aiming point and shoot. The arrow will land into the lower target.
While holding the scope center crosshairs on the upper aiming point, turn the speed ring until your 30 yard chevron is on the arrow that you just shot.
Confirm by shooting using the 30 yard chevron and fine tuning the vertical is only done with the speed ring. Left right adjustments are done using the turret on the side.
When confirmed, use a paint dot on the speed ring and a matching dot on the body of the scope ahead of the speed ring so you have a point of reference incase the speed ring gets moved.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I think you're running into the primary complaint I have for many of the variable power crossbow scopes on the market. Most of them aren't made for the speeds of our hunting arrows. The Overwatch bottoms out at 300fps, like many others. With a 425gr arrow, I'm guessing your arrow is flying somewhere in the 275 fps range. Even if you turn the Overwatch down to the lowest power (speed setting), your arrows will be low at 30 and even lower as you go farther out.

There's nothing wrong with your bow or arrow selection (great weight!), it's just that the bow and scope aren't designed for one another. The scope isn't made for bows shooting less than 300 fps.

My related complaint is that for those of us shooting arrows in the 300-325 fps range (slower in your case), we're always using these variable power scopes with the power turned down to the low end. For those of us with aging eyes, I'd love to be hunting in the 4x to 6x range, but end up at 2x or less. It would be nice if they marketed a scope with magnification in the 3x-9x range with a reticle that runs 250fps to 350 fps on the dial.

There aren't many multi-range scopes on the market for bows shooting under 300 fps. I know the Vari-Zone that Excalibur used to sell works from 250-350 fps. You should be able to find one of those pretty cheap (if not free), but it isn't illuminated if that's a requirement.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

DuckHunt wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:40 pm
I think you're running into the primary complaint I have for many of the variable power crossbow scopes on the market. Most of them aren't made for the speeds of our hunting arrows. The Overwatch bottoms out at 300fps, like many others. With a 425gr arrow, I'm guessing your arrow is flying somewhere in the 275 fps range. Even if you turn the Overwatch down to the lowest power (speed setting), your arrows will be low at 30 and even lower as you go farther out.

There's nothing wrong with your bow or arrow selection (great weight!), it's just that the bow and scope aren't designed for one another. The scope isn't made for bows shooting less than 300 fps.

My related complaint is that for those of us shooting arrows in the 300-325 fps range (slower in your case), we're always using these variable power scopes with the power turned down to the low end. For those of us with aging eyes, I'd love to be hunting in the 4x to 6x range, but end up at 2x or less. It would be nice if they marketed a scope with magnification in the 3x-9x range with a reticle that runs 250fps to 350 fps on the dial.

There aren't many multi-range scopes on the market for bows shooting under 300 fps. I know the Vari-Zone that Excalibur used to sell works from 250-350 fps. You should be able to find one of those pretty cheap (if not free), but it isn't illuminated if that's a requirement.
I lost sight of the speed of the Magair. I’m wondering if he cau use the 40 as his 30?
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

The Overwatch is rated for a faster bow. I really like the one I have. :thumbup:
But trying to get it to work on the MagAir might be almost impossible. :wtf:
I would just suggest a different scope. One more suited to that speed range.
Perhaps the Hawke XB1. I think it goes all the way down to like 250fps.
Last edited by AJ01 on Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Goof up on my part. Double post. Deleted.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Boo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:07 pm
I lost sight of the speed of the Magair. I’m wondering if he cau use the 40 as his 30?
Something like that could work. Ignore the numbers in the scope and treat the circles as if they are 5 yard increments instead of 10. That would make it a 20-60 scope instead of 20-100 which is more reasonable for a MagAir.

I might have to play around with this some once it warms up. I'd rather be looking through a 7x scope with 5y aiming points from 20-60y than a 2x scope with 10y increments from 20-100.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

DuckHunt wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:16 pm
Boo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:07 pm
Something like that could work. Ignore the numbers in the scope and treat the circles as if they are 5 yard increments instead of 10. That would make it a 20-60 scope instead of 20-100 which is more reasonable for a MagAir.

I might have to play around with this some once it warms up. I'd rather be looking through a 7x scope with 5y aiming points from 20-60y than a 2x scope with 10y increments from 20-100.
That is kinda what I do with my Vortex XBR. I use the center as 40 and each reference point I use as 10 yard but they are intended to be used as 5. Works for me!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

With an open mind…… how about sight in at 20, then shoot using 30 yrs. chevron and SEE where you are zero. It may be 27 or 26 but who cares . My deer don’t come out in increments of 10. 40 yrs might be34 or 35. Who cares if it is 20-30-40 jmho( but me thinks y’all are overthinking’)
Normous

Post by Normous »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:25 pm
With an open mind…… how about sight in at 20, then shoot using 30 yrs. chevron and SEE where you are zero. It may be 27 or 26 but who cares . My deer don’t come out in increments of 10. 40 yrs might be34 or 35. Who cares if it is 20-30-40 jmho( but me thinks y’all are overthinking’)
Makes sense to me :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
forrest-hunter

Post by forrest-hunter »

Ordered the Hawke XB1 Crossbow Scope 1.5-5x32 - selling the Overwatch -thanks for all the advice
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I think the Hawke will serve you well!! :thumbup:
Piebald

Post by Piebald »

Hawke XB scopes are best on the EXO’s

Trying a vortex on my Exocet and running into some of same problems. Had to strip my bolts down to get weight down so as to match speeds, we’ll see.

Also, shim the rear of the scope to point the scope down to gain adjustment. Shimming the front would worsen your situation.