Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Re: What type of critter is this?????

Post by AJ01 »

Hi5 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:36 pm
i've never seen one in real life, but suspect it's a Tayassuidae
Give that man a cigar for knowing the scientific family name.... :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

No. Don't give him any cigar. He was just being a smartas$. He had to ask Mr. Google what the scientific name was for peccary before he posted. :lol: :lol:
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Next photo

With the amount of staining it looks like a fossil. Sabre tooth tigers had canine even more out of proportion looking, but maybe if the jaw was closed? That's my guess, anyway.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:36 am
Well Ladies and Gentlemen....
We have a WINNER!!

Matt got it!! Nice job!!!

It's a Javelina!!
No pigs in this one. And no predators either!! Cactus eater for the main course of the meal. Will come to deer feeders!! A big one is 75 pounds. But they make a neat shoulder mount.
I know folks that eat them BBQ 'ed, but I think I'll pass. We hunted a place in Artesia Wells that had these puppies everywhere!! The ranch hands would BBQ them and feast on everyone we killed. You are allowed 2 per license.

AJ, we drew out for Chaparral a few years ago and got a couple. Brought them home and to the processors. He made sausage out of them. First patty that hit the skillet you knew right off you weren’t going to eat it. Never got passed the smell.
We took them to Klein ‘s Meats to be processed. When we went to get them, Mr. Klein told us,” boys I’m only going to charge you half what I told you. Once you get one of those skinned, they aren’t any bigger than a Brittany.” Never are a bite to tell you how good or bad it was.😂
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hi5 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:57 pm
Next photo

With the amount of staining it looks like a fossil. Sabre tooth tigers had canine even more out of proportion looking, but maybe if the jaw was closed? That's my guess, anyway.
Yeppers it's a Saber-tooth (Smilodon fatalis). Wish it was the "real deal" but alas, it is not. It's a replica of a fossil on display from the La Brea tarpits. It is however, exactly correct!!
Good eye!!
I do have some real fossils. My best is a Wooly Mammoth tooth.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:43 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:36 am
Well Ladies and Gentlemen....
We have a WINNER!!

Matt got it!! Nice job!!!

It's a Javelina!!
No pigs in this one. And no predators either!! Cactus eater for the main course of the meal. Will come to deer feeders!! A big one is 75 pounds. But they make a neat shoulder mount.
I know folks that eat them BBQ 'ed, but I think I'll pass. We hunted a place in Artesia Wells that had these puppies everywhere!! The ranch hands would BBQ them and feast on everyone we killed. You are allowed 2 per license.

AJ, we drew out for Chaparral a few years ago and got a couple. Brought them home and to the processors. He made sausage out of them. First patty that hit the skillet you knew right off you weren’t going to eat it. Never got passed the smell.
We took them to Klein ‘s Meats to be processed. When we went to get them, Mr. Klein told us,” boys I’m only going to charge you half what I told you. Once you get one of those skinned, they aren’t any bigger than a Brittany.” Never are a bite to tell you how good or bad it was.😂
Paul, you CANNOT eat them. At least I can't. The musk gland on their back is very "pungent" to say the least. The ranch hands use to skin those things and carefully cut them up for the BBQ.
I just couldn't make myself take a bite. :wtf: :sick: Kinda like eaten a big rat!! :shock:
There isn't much left of one once you remove the head.
forrest-hunter

Post by forrest-hunter »

I hunted these in Honduras back in the 50's and 60's - the chones, who took care of the dogs, knew how to clean - mom roasted hams and they where delicious - tried to clean one in south Texas in the 80's - completely horrible -wife ran me out of house - should had paid attention on how to clean
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:04 pm
I do have some real fossils. My best is a Wooly Mammoth tooth.
Cool Big Kitty replica!
I'd love one of those!

Have many fossils.
The most chatted about is the gigantic walrus baculum... :lol:

Cheers
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I "horse traded" with a fellow who had lived in the Far North, and now have a Musk Ox horn mount, a Narwhal tusk, and Walrus head and tusk mount.

I passed on the baculum. I thought it was probably too dangerous. I was single at the time, and I thought inexperienced ladies might just get scared, and that would obviously be counterproductive. On the other hand, with ladies having wider experience, this might create unrealistic hopes, and that wouldn't be any good either.
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Well now that I've Google searched walrus baculum it'll be interesting to see what shows up in my news feed over the next couple weeks. :eusa-think:

✌️😁Hatchet
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hatchet wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:39 am
Well now that I've Google searched walrus baculum it'll be interesting to see what shows up in my news feed over the next couple weeks. :eusa-think:

✌️😁Hatchet
:eusa-naughty: :mrgreen: :wtf:

You have to be extremely careful around this bunch!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Sorry deleted repost
Last edited by elkaholic on Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Way too funny! Finally got back to this forum and what do I see, a piggy skull!
Yes , its definitely a javelina. But here in Az ,we normally refer to them as piggys .
I,ve been archery hunting them for over 50 yrs. I can't count how many kills. Probably in thirties. I've prepared and eaten everyone !
Bacon wrapped backstraps are just like pork lions.tossed in a crackpot or grilled!
Never a musky smell or weird gamey taste.
No special miracle concoction needed , or used to make it edible.
Secret is used for every animal we harvest !

Do not contaminate the meat.! Don't grab a leg or the hide and then touch the meat. As simple as that!

For piggys, the dreaded musk gland. It comes off with the hide. Do not cut it off! Keep your hands and knife clean ! When cutting the meat.

I'll be hunting them agin this yr. Starting February 9th till the 18th. Some yrs i had 2 tags.
My first hunt for the new yr. Good times!

Lately I've had meat turned into breakfast sausage. Last yr it was garlic summer sausage. Right tast.

One thing to remember when it comes to wild game meat
Proper field care, makes for the best table fare!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

elkaholic wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:06 am
Great point! It's good to hear they are edible when treated right.

This season my son arrowed a wide 7-point and the shot angle from the front high above had the arrow ending in the stomach area. He was a mess on the insides and the stomach contents were all over the tenderloins. They smelled something awful. We removed them anyway and gave them a good washing and soaking and they looked fine. I grilled them up whole along with some of the backstraps for dinner. The backstrap was awesome, but we threw out the tenderloin. While it looked amazing, no one could get past the smell to take a bite of it. The tenderloins still smelled like the inside of a gutshot deer. :sick:

If it's contaminated in the field, you probably won't like it on your table.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

elkaholic wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:06 am
Way too funny! Finally got back to this forum and what do I see, a piggy skull!
Yes , its definitely a javelina. But here in Az ,we normally refer to them as piggys .
I,ve been archery hunting them for over 50 yrs. I can't count how many kills. Probably in thirties. I've prepared and eaten everyone !
Bacon wrapped backstraps are just like pork lions.tossed in a crackpot or grilled!
Never a musky smell or weird gamey taste.
No special miracle concoction needed , or used to make it edible.
Secret is used for every animal we harvest !

Do not contaminate the meat.! Don't grab a leg or the hide and then touch the meat. As simple as that!

For piggys, the dreaded musk gland. It comes off with the hide. Do not cut it off! Keep your hands and knife clean ! When cutting the meat.

I'll be hunting them agin this yr. Starting February 9th till the 18th. Some yrs i had 2 tags.
My first hunt for the new yr. Good times!

Lately I've had meat turned into breakfast sausage. Last yr it was garlic summer sausage. Right tast.

Good advice!!!
I haven't hunted them in a few years. When I do again, I'll try it your way. I can assure you, cutting out the gland is a waste of time and effort. :thumbup: :thumbup: