How cold is too cold

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lituani

How cold is too cold

Post by lituani »

Our deer season in Michigan extends thru 01January on private land. We've had weather as cold as current (1F) before in December. WHich brings to mind the question:

How cold is too cold to shoot an Excalibur? Those limbs will get more brittle at extremely cold temps. Does Excalibur have a "do not shoot below xx temp" number?
longbow joe

Re: How cold is too cold

Post by longbow joe »

I have shot my excalibur bows in "cold that feels like razor blades" no issues.
The people up north in Canada have more experience with the cold than here in Pennsylvania.
I had one of the limb gernading early micro bows I was always afraid of the cold with it but never an issue.
As I get older if it's not 40 degrees I'm not hunting unless it's the peak of the rut.
It's no longer important to be out if it's not fun.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shot a bison when it was -2F with no issues
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
janesy

Post by janesy »

In my experience, in general at -23°C is when mechanical devices start to operate different and break for no apparent reason aside from prolonged exposure to the cold.
Not to say that things won't break in warmer or colder temps. But around work I start to see a significant uptick in breakages below -23°C.

Purely accocdotal, but backed by 25 years of machinery breakdowns in winter😂
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

janesy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:36 am
In my experience, in general at -23°C is when mechanical devices start to operate different and break for no apparent reason aside from prolonged exposure to the cold.
Not to say that things won't break in warmer or colder temps. But around work I start to see a significant uptick in breakages below -23°C.

Purely accocdotal, but backed by 25 years of machinery breakdowns in winter😂
When we were doing some cold weather R&D for BMW in their early days we were told by an oil company engineer that it takes 36 hours for materials to "react" to temperature changes. So when we tested a car for starting after 8 hours it was not the same condition as if we waited 36 hours. So I believe you are correct Chris. Prolonged would be the key word.
Some people just like stepping on rakes