Packing deer out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

Packing deer out

Post by Carnivorous »

This past season I have officially dragged my Last deer back to the truck when solo hunting. The last drag with the cart was torture up and over logs and grass as high as my head. Lol

I have about a mile trip back to the truck depending where it falls and what crops are on the field. I have an ATV but that's a no go with the farmers. :eusa-naughty:

So I have watched some deer packing out videos and it looks pretty straight forward. :thumbup:

The only thing I will need is a frame pack. If anyone can recommend a decent frame pack that won't break the back and the bank I would appreciate it!

Cheers
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Re: Packing deer out

Post by Boo »

The best one's I've seen are made out of plywood. A few years ago in Ohio, I shot a deer 1.5 miles away from the truck on a gas cutline. The cutline as a serious up and down hilly path that I didn't dare drive my truck. So I just quartered the deer and made 4 trips with the quarters over my shoulder. What distance are you talking about?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Boo wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:51 am
The best one's I've seen are made out of plywood. A few years ago in Ohio, I shot a deer 1.5 miles away from the truck on a gas cutline. The cutline as a serious up and down hilly path that I didn't dare drive my truck. So I just quartered the deer and made 4 trips with the quarters over my shoulder. What distance are you talking about?
Hi Don
I have about a mile walk back to the truck. Give or take. It's nice to bring them home to hang them. But I ain't getting any younger... lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Didn't you just score 2 recent backpacks? :angel: :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Just butcher the deer in the field using the gutless method and pack out the meat? It can be aged in a cooler or fridge.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

one shot scott wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:04 pm
Just butcher the deer in the field using the gutless method and pack out the meat? It can be aged in a cooler or fridge.
Tha5s the plan!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Normous wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:45 am
Didn't you just score 2 recent backpacks? :angel: :lol:
Yep but i should have zeroed in on a frame pack! Lol
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I hunt about 3/4 mile from my truck. I have a dirt road that goes in 1/2 mile to my woods but when it rains it turns into a mud pit. I’ve been stuck 2 times in the mud and refuse to drive it when it’s muddy. I use a deer cart and sled if there’s snow.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

When we elk hunted in Colorado, we hunted in a Wilderness area. That means on foot or on horseback. Not being much of a horseman, A good pack frame is your buddy. Hind on a bull is ballpark 90 lbs. All the load I could do . On deer a friend told me if you field dress them, cut the legs at the knees, then cut them in two between the 4th and 5th rib you will have two equal weight halves. Said that was how they packed out on horses.
nannyhammer

Post by nannyhammer »

If you carry a small block and tackle you can reduce a deer to about 40-45% of their live weight. A good solid backpack with a frame should let you carry one out with ease.