Sometimes you lose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Sometimes you lose

Post by Species8472 »

Most of the time we post our wins. But every once in while good to post a loss - helps keep my ego in check. Kinda like that time with the thumb some of you may recall.

So Sunday - Still lots of ice on Nip but I knew there was a high probability of open cracks after the thaw but not really bothered by it - if you stick to daylight running you can typically find a spot narrow enough to jump or skip across the open water. My machine is 11 foot 6 inches long and based on its ability to basically water ski i am comfortable intentionally crossing open water 10 feet wide. I have crossed significantly wider stretches but those were all "unplanned." So got on the ice at 8 am and planned to ride 25 km out to a hotspot i was intent on fishing. Over the course of 24.5 km i crossed 3 open cracks - one 2 footer, a 4 footer and lastly a 10 footer a 1/2 km short of my destination. Well in order to skip across you need speed and the wider the crack the more speed you need. I hit the last crack doing about 65 km/hour and zipped across no problem. The problem though was 100 feet past the crack i hit a bump (didn't even see it) and was still carrying decent speed (just over 50 km/hour) from the puddle jump. Well i was thrown air born and the machine flipped.

I remember coming off the machine and i remember standing up after i came to rest on the ice. Because of the thaw there was no snow to soften my landing - just hard glare ice. Got up and i was about 50 feet from the flipped machine. No idea how much of that 50 was through the air and what was sliding/tumbling or what angle i hit the ice at - but must have been a favorable angle as no broken bones. Of course being the maniac i am i was solo. Walked back to the machine and somehow managed to flip it back over - Machine weighs 746 lbs dry and i had just under 50 litres of fuel in the tank plus the track was loaded with slush and ice. I had the key clipped to my jacket so as soon as i launched the machine shutoff. Positive i was functioning on 100% adrenaline the whole time as i don't know how or actually even really remember flipping the machine back over. Lost half the polycarbonate windshield, ripped some body panels loose, smashed the brake fluid reservoir, twisted the hitch and apparently i made some head contact with the ice as my helmet was missing the visor and was pretty banged up.

Got back on the machine and it started and drove - small win. Went to my planned fishing spot and was starting to unpack the toboggan - it actually never flipped and cover stayed on and everything somehow stayed inside. At that moment the adrenaline wore off and the entire left side of my body was like i don't think so. Also started to get mildly nauseous. Well put the cover back on the toboggan and decided to head back. I wasn't sure if the machine was okay to make it and i felt like %^&* so figured better head now with lots of light in case i need help instead of waiting until an hour before dark and ending up stranded 25 km out in the dark. Had to cross the same 3 cracks on my way out but machine held up and gave the speed i needed for the crossings. Made it back to the cottage just before noon poured myself a double fixed up a bowl of stew and went back to bed.

Between adrenaline and probably a bit of shock didn't take photos of the fiasco until i was back at the cottage. Sometimes mother nature says you lose and Sunday was one of those days. Couple pics after the fact:

The new windshield:

The adrenaline/shock half azzed repair of body panels:

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Carnivorous

Re: Sometimes you lose

Post by Carnivorous »

Great story!

I have had a few close calls on the ice. I only go out now if it's solid for my entire ride out. I like my ATV to be in the garage and not at the bottom of the lake....lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I knew a guy (co-worker) who who lost his life ice fishing . His friends saw him sink fast trying to skip water when events went sketchy.
You got lucky and get to post your loss, some play roulette and never breathe air again.
What did we learn here? :think:

Happy to have you here!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
CBRon

Post by CBRon »

Wow , What a story , Glad you are OK and alive . Bet your sore...
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

i dunno, looks like a win to me, a bruised ego/sled/body win, but a win!
glad it wasn't worse!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Post by Boo »

I’m glad you made it back!
When I was fishing every weekend on the ice at Scugog, I’d be fishing about 500 yards from a pressure crack. It went about 100 yards ending at an island 10” wide. There were sleds constantly going across the open water. Then it would gravitate to quads, then believe or not a truck. Needless to say, the truck didn’t make it and I wonder how many quads went down. You can bet that Captain Morgan or Johnny Walker was involved! :mrgreen: Full disclosure, my Explorer went through (no booze involved) but I was about 30 yards from shore and if you know Scugog, it was only 2’ deep at that distance from shore. It’s a crazy place during the winter. Sleds going full tilt and too close to guys fishing, trucks driving at stupid speeds and one day there was a nitwit driving around the lake in reverse pretty much from 2 pm until dark.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

I would have had to pour a "triple"

Dave :mrgreen:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Glad you're just banged up, would have been a great video! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Thanks for the kind words guys. As it turns out even with the helmet on i knocked my noggin pretty good - have to buy a new helmet next week. Concussed apparently. Taking it easy this week, no real pain or anything but can't focus very well and lose my train of thought pretty easy (well easier than before). Hopefully cold locks things back up. Planning to hit the lake again Feb 23,24 but going to stay in closer and will be using my wife's sled LOL.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Species8472 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:35 pm
Thanks for the kind words guys. As it turns out even with the helmet on i knocked my noggin pretty good - have to buy a new helmet next week. Concussed apparently. Taking it easy this week, no real pain or anything but can't focus very well and lose my train of thought pretty easy (well easier than before). Hopefully cold locks things back up. Planning to hit the lake again Feb 23,24 but going to stay in closer and will be using my wife's sled LOL.
First sign of nausea, go to the hospital. i found out that it doesn't take much to get a brain bleed.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!